Posts: 335
Threads: 17
Joined: Aug 2011
Does anyone in the horde have info on BHW chambers? I have a type 2 chamber. I was under the impression that as bolts would work with it. I emailed bhw but haven't heard back from them. Any info or help is much appreciated. I am having a hard time getting it to chamber dummy rounds.
Posts: 3,340
Threads: 46
Joined: Mar 2011
usmc1371 Wrote:Does anyone in the horde have info on BHW chambers? I have a type 2 chamber. I was under the impression that as bolts would work with it. I emailed bhw but haven't heard back from them. Any info or help is much appreciated. I am having a hard time getting it to chamber dummy rounds.
Will it chamber or not?
If it absolutely will not chamber at all, you are using a 7.62 X 39 bolt with a Grendel chamber. It it is just hard to chamber, something is going on with your sizing process (probably not bumping the brass enough) or the chamber was poorly made.
LR1955
Posts: 562
Threads: 81
Joined: Feb 2013
I have had 2 BHW barrels that both functioned and shot good. I just got an 18" bbl from Surplus Arms. The spec on it says type 1 .264 LBC
Posts: 4,444
Threads: 97
Joined: Mar 2011
BHW has used both bolts and chambers depending on bolt availability. If it was a recent barrel, give them a call and they should be able to help you!
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live. - John Galt
Posts: 335
Threads: 17
Joined: Aug 2011
Got a responce from bhw my as bolt will work. It will chamber but it was hard to extract. Plus this is a new build and everything is tight. I just need to check bolt face depth when I get home.
Posts: 2,737
Threads: 44
Joined: Aug 2013
09-15-2014, 05:25 PM
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2014, 07:51 PM by NugginFutz.)
bwaites Wrote:BHW has used both bolts and chambers depending on bolt availability. If it was a recent barrel, give them a call and they should be able to help you!
^^^ This.
GLShooter sometimes lurks in here, and may be able to communicate you questions to BHW, as well.
FWIW, my 2 year old BHW uses the standard Grendel bolt, and has always been good to me.
If yours is a "Type I" chamber, and you use a standard bolt (Type II), you will encounter excessive headspace.
If yours is a Type II, and you use a 7.62 x 39 bolt (Type I), it will likely never go into battery.
If you have the proper bolt for your chamber, and it is not allowing the bolt to close, you likely have an issue with your sizing dies, and you would benefit from either a headspace gauge from Wilson or Sinclair. It will tell you if your dummy rounds are within spec.
Posts: 6,206
Threads: 50
Joined: Mar 2011
Cartridge Overall Length can also be an issue the bullets maybe into the lands making extraction difficult. For example I have to seat 95 grain V-Max a lot deeper than you would expect. I bought a Hornady Lock N Load COAL gauge so I have an idea how deep I need to seat my bullets. The different ogives really affects the COAL with the 6.5 Grendel.
Posts: 3,340
Threads: 46
Joined: Mar 2011
usmc1371 Wrote:Got a responce from bhw my as bolt will work. It will chamber but it was hard to extract. Plus this is a new build and everything is tight. I just need to check bolt face depth when I get home.
Most likely you aren't bumping the shoulder enough.
LR55
Posts: 335
Threads: 17
Joined: Aug 2011
The bolt face is .1354. That is good to go. I'm going Toto be shooting factory hornady ammo. If the weather holds out I might get to test fire it. Report will follow.
Posts: 335
Threads: 17
Joined: Aug 2011
Got out test fired my rifle. I'm have a problem getting it to cycle. I thought it was under gassed. It was. I got the gas port lined up. It still won't cycle. Bcg barely moves back. Bolt never unlocks from extention. When I work the bolt in the bolt carrier it feels like the gas rings are too large. Can that keep it from cycling? Any ideas or suggestions.
Posts: 2,412
Threads: 31
Joined: Mar 2011
usmc1371 Wrote:Got out test fired my rifle. I'm have a problem getting it to cycle. I thought it was under gassed. It was. I got the gas port lined up. It still won't cycle. Bcg barely moves back. Bolt never unlocks from extention. When I work the bolt in the bolt carrier it feels like the gas rings are too large. Can that keep it from cycling? Any ideas or suggestions.
I'd pull the assembled bolt carrier group out and give it a flick with your wrist like you do when you are reassembling it. Does the bolt pop forward like a regular M16 carrier? If so, that isn't the problem. If you "flick it" and it doesn't pop forward, then I'd be looking hard at what is keeping it from freely moving. The gas rings can give a little drag, but they shouldn't keep a stiff wrist flick from popping the bolt forward.
Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....
Posts: 335
Threads: 17
Joined: Aug 2011
It won't flick forward. It is stiff. Looking at gas ring alignment also.
Posts: 2,412
Threads: 31
Joined: Mar 2011
09-26-2014, 03:36 AM
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2014, 03:38 AM by Variable.)
usmc1371 Wrote:It won't flick forward. It is stiff. Looking at gas ring alignment also.
Yeah, if the bolt is so stiff in the carrier that it won't pop forward when you flick it hard, then that could cause problems if your gas was already marginal. If the bolt can be inserted into the carrier easily enough and everything is brand new), then maybe it just needs broken in.
As for your gas rings being aligned-- We always had that tale in the service, but unless your system is already on the ragged edge of running already, it should still work.
Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....
Posts: 75
Threads: 6
Joined: Dec 2013
I just test fired my BHW 22" barrel a few days ago and had no problems. If your sure the gas port is lined up properly I have no clue. I have the type 2 bolt and am running with an Underground Tactical Grendel bolt that I sent in to have it head spaced with. Maybe check the gas port size with a pin gage set and see if BHW sent you the right size port size.
Dave
Posts: 335
Threads: 17
Joined: Aug 2011
I can hear air blowing through it. I am going to make sure the gas key I a clear. I'm also going to try a different carrier.
Posts: 335
Threads: 17
Joined: Aug 2011
I worked the bolt in the carrier last night. It felt like it flicked out easier.