I have a 20" Grendel with rifle length gas system and I am running a H3 buffer. I just purchased a TBAC 30P-1. Wondering if I will need an adjustable gas block? I am currently shooting 123 SST & A-Max with XBR and CFE and not having any issues.
Lead Chucker
Unregistered
I think your ok. Im using a 18" Satern with a mid gas and rifle buffer and tube. I do use a adjustable block (JP) and only see a half turn difference between suppressed and unsuppressed.
Posts: 643
Threads: 79
Joined: Dec 2012
i will be later this year getting a suppressor and am wondering, will i need an adjustable gas block? i have a 20 inch barrel, rifle length gas system and use a rifle buffer and tube. do i understand that you need to reduce the gas for suppressor use?
Posts: 333
Threads: 29
Joined: Mar 2011
k280 Wrote:I have a 20" Grendel with rifle length gas system and I am running a H3 buffer. I just purchased a TBAC 30P-1. Wondering if I will need an adjustable gas block? I am currently shooting 123 SST & A-Max with XBR and CFE and not having any issues.
K280,
How do you like the 30P-1 with the Grendel? I've been thinking about getting a 30 BAS for use with my 2 Grendels.
Thanks,
PA
Posts: 497
Threads: 41
Joined: Aug 2013
Better get an adjustable gas block. Just like a car muffler, the suppressor will significantly increase back pressure in the gas system. My guns kick like mule when the suppressor is installed. If you don't decrease the gas pressure, it will be hard on your guns internals.
I have a two position gas block that when open has an .095" orifice. When shooting suppressed, I switch the block to an .066" gas port orifice. Works wonderfully at that small gas port diameter.
Think about that, an .066" gas port would not even cycle the bolt in most AR's.
With a 20" RLGS and .094" gas port, you are probably ok. Port pressure is lowest on the RLGS, and a 20" doesn't have a crazy amount of dwell time.
I would agree with SG4247 when it comes to MLGS/18" and especially CLGS on 14.5" or longer, but I'm suspecting you'll be fine with a standard block with the Grendel. If you have unacceptably increased operating speeds for the action, you can address it then, but 20"/RLGS are just such smooth shooting guns already.
TBAC suppressors have quickly become an industry standard for Titanium cans where the discerning customer wants minimal POI shift, excellent sound reduction, excellent accuracy, and longevity for the can.
Posts: 2,737
Threads: 44
Joined: Aug 2013
LRRPF52 Wrote:...TBAC suppressors have quickly become an industry standard for Titanium cans where the discerning customer wants minimal POI shift, excellent sound reduction, excellent accuracy, and longevity for the can.
This brings a question to mind. Just what kind of round counts can one expect from a suppressor? Steel? Titanium?
Does having the ability to disassemble and clean a suppressor add to its life expectancy?
Lead Chucker
Unregistered
NugginFutz Wrote:This brings a question to mind. Just what kind of round counts can one expect from a suppressor? Steel? Titanium?
Does having the ability to disassemble and clean a suppressor add to its life expectancy?
From what I understand, as long as you take care of it, no baffle strikes, they will last forever. I have a cyclone made of SS and I have had it pretty hot but I dont do mag dumps with SBR or even carbines for that matter and its been great for couple years now. AAC recommends cleaning with a organic degreaser after about 1500 rounds if I recall correctly. I probably have about that or a few more now and need to clean it. Guess it bouls down to like anything else, take care of it and it will out last most of us.
Posts: 304
Threads: 19
Joined: Aug 2013
I had a whole freaking page of stuff typed as a response and my computer died.... The gist was, I had thought less gas was more. I had broken a bolt a while back, so I turned the gas down to almost nothing. I started getting ejector swipes and my brass was dirty as f. I talked to some people and was told turn the gas up till the gas is cleaner. I opened it up to 1-1/4 turns and now cleaner (not clean) brass, and no pressure signs. .5moa with factory Hornady all the way to 1174 yards so far... quietly...
I run a TABC 30BA. GREAT can. Makes both my 308 and 65 more accurate. I have 1555 rounds through it. They are precision cans. Not round dump ones. When it starts to get hot, let it cool off. Zack told me around 800 degrees. I shot every shot at Accuracy1st suppressed 297 rounds.. Mine doesn't even have any discolorization of the cerakote. About 20 rounds of precision fire and I would let it cool. This includes any make up shots from a called miss which would be 2 or 3 rounds in a few seconds. When you see enough mirage to effect your target view.
Mine is still in tax stamp jail, my dealer is going to e file. The e file site is typical of a government run site, jeeps crashing. It's down for maintenance every day from 1-2. I was going to try the new Harvester, but I wanted to get a trust started before June 1. The Harvester might not be available until after that.
Posts: 304
Threads: 19
Joined: Aug 2013
bigbear_98 Wrote:I had a whole freaking page of stuff typed as a response and my computer died.... The gist was, I had thought less gas was more. I had broken a bolt a while back, so I turned the gas down to almost nothing. I started getting ejector swipes and my brass was dirty as f. I talked to some people and was told turn the gas up till the gas is cleaner. I opened it up to 1-1/4 turns and now cleaner (not clean) brass, and no pressure signs. .5moa with factory Hornady all the way to 1174 yards so far... quietly...
Any thoughts on why this would be?
Have had the suppressor for about 5 weeks now. Getting some belted brass with Lapua only. Running the same load with hornady Brass (28.3 XBR & 123 A-max) with no problems. Shoots the 120 mpt bullet loaded in PPU brass over 28 grs H-335 better than anything I have shot in this gun. I am getting about a 50 fps increase with the XBR loads. Got a Syrac gen II in the mail yesterday, will see what that does. I do like the click adjustments on it. Will be easy to switch for different loads and unsuppressed.
.
Posts: 304
Threads: 19
Joined: Aug 2013
I know this thread has been long dead, but have recently done some testing.
I had an adjustable gas block on my rifle. I had it 1-1/2 turns open. This was the setting for most reliable lock back and ejection. I was still getting very dirty brass, with ejector marks on it.
I did some research and decided to put a none adjustable gas block on the rifle. Now I still have reliable lock back and ejection, but the brass is less dirty. Still dirty but much less. There are almost no signs of ejector marks on the brass. Occasionally a nick, but hardly noticeable.
I called some of my local gurus. They say Hornady brass is soft and ejector marks aren't necessarily bad if using hornady with no other signs of pressure. Also that a 20" barrel with a rifle gas system doesn't really need an adjustable gas block. In fact the gas turned down may make the bolt stay closed too long. Makes sense and coincides with my real world experience.