Posts: 187
Threads: 28
Joined: Nov 2011
I used a chronograph for the first time yesterday, and my velocities were higher than they should be. Using a 16" barrel with a birdcage flash hider, I was getting an average reading of over 2900 fps with 30.0 hrs of H335 and a 100 gr Barnes TTSX bullet, and out of my 20" barrel with a KVC compensator, the reading averaged 2620 fps shooting Factory Hornady 123 gr SST ammo. I was not worried as neither showed any signs of pressure.
Today, I read the trouble shooting section of the Shooting Chrony website and it said high velocity errors where caused by having the Chrony too close to the muzzle. I had mine at 10 feet as this seemed to be pretty much the universal distance people use.
How far do you place your chronographs from the muzzles of your rifles?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Guns kill people the same way forks make people fat.
Posts: 2,075
Threads: 35
Joined: Mar 2011
As far as the cable allows. 15' or so.
NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA
"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.
Posts: 128
Threads: 7
Joined: Sep 2014
I encountered the same problem. I discovered I wasn't getting the metal box open all the way. It was hardly noticeable but it did make a huge difference. I had put a clip mount that attached to a bi-pod onto the bottom of the chrony. It overlapped the edge and prevented the chrony from opening 180 degrees. After repositioning the tripod mount the readings returned to normal.
Never walk away from home ahead of your axe and sword. You can't feel a battle in your bones or foresee a fight. -The Havamal
Posts: 370
Threads: 15
Joined: Oct 2012
I have been putting mine at 15 feet also. What I discovered is that light conditions effect your readings also. I had read on here about making sure it is all of the way open so I have been doing that but my differences in velocity readings between shooting on a slightly overcast/hazy day in the afternoon and on a bright clear day in the morning have been consistently 60-80 fps slower in the bright early morning lighting. I don't know which one is correct but the readings have been consistent.
Posts: 3,087
Threads: 74
Joined: Mar 2011
Guys, always put the sky screens on- no matter the conditions outside= helps with being consistant.
15' is the minimal distance for the chrono.. Yes we read the rags claiming they use 10'=== not cool. Most of them are wanna be's- cept for Fortier.
Always, make sure the unit is fully opened before tightening the lower screw,, before installing on the tripod idea- or table.. ===Been there , done that ooops once, twice.
Posts: 370
Threads: 15
Joined: Oct 2012
I have used the sky screens every time I have shot over it, which has only been 3 times so far. I am thinking the variation in average velocities was due to the intesity of the sunlight and possibly the angle. I would just like to know which light conditions provide the most accurate reading so I can do my chronograph shooting at a consistent time of day/conditions and minimize as many variables as I can.
Posts: 29
Threads: 4
Joined: Oct 2013
My experience has been lighting conditions make all the difference. My chrony does not like direct sunlight on the sensors. I seem to have the best results on a bright day with the chrony in the shade. Even with the sun shades in place they only really work if the sun is directly overhead. I have also used a piece of light weight plastic clipped to the factory sun shades for more of a continuous shun shade over the entire chrony with good results.
Posts: 370
Threads: 15
Joined: Oct 2012
That is good to know, thank you. I haven't used it very much yet as I have only had it a short period of time. I am mostly interested in repeatable,accurate results since I am using it to help determine safe loads for my rifle.