Posts: 47
Threads: 7
Joined: Feb 2013
I just received an AA 6.5 Grendel Overwatch with a 24" SS barrel and a "free float composite handguard". Any idea what kind it is and most importantly, how to take it off? The owner's manual doesn't cover disassembly for the free float handguard. TIA
Posts: 2,737
Threads: 44
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,737
Threads: 44
Joined: Aug 2013
Try applying some penetrating oil (Kroil works well) to the area where the hand guard meets the barrel nut and let it soak, overnight. Apply some heat to the barrel nut area with a hair dryer or restrained use of a heat gun. Mix with a measure of patience, and it should come off.
Posts: 47
Threads: 7
Joined: Feb 2013
I've included a photo of it.
So, as I understand it, the handguard is simply threaded onto the OD of the barrel nut?
Posts: 2,737
Threads: 44
Joined: Aug 2013
arizona98tj Wrote:I've included a photo of it.
So, as I understand it, the handguard is simply threaded onto the OD of the barrel nut?
![[Image: 6.5handguard.jpg]](http://www.stu-offroad.com/temp/6.5handguard.jpg)
Threaded, but also likely secured with either loctite or an adhesive. That is why others with that setup have recommended the above procedure.
Posts: 408
Threads: 59
Joined: Oct 2011
arizona98tj,
Please understand, this is motivated by my curiosity. There have been several threads on the removal of this hand guard and my question to those that have this AA unit as OEM is why..... are you unhappy/dissatisfied with it or is it a maintenance issue or simply curiosity as to how if the need should arise. I have this handguard on both my own 24" Over watch and 20" Light Hunter and I am totally satisfied with it.
Posts: 47
Threads: 7
Joined: Feb 2013
I am neither unhappy nor dissatisfied with it. I do occasionally remove a handguard to clean the barrel's exterior, especially when it's been in a harsh environment, such as your typical AZ or Nevada desert dust storm. Not being familiar with this handguard, I thought I would ask. I'm less than impressed with how it is secured to the barrel nut. FWIW, I've installed other free floating handguards on AR-15s and never had to use loctite/adhesive of any kind to secure them in place.
Posts: 2,737
Threads: 44
Joined: Aug 2013
Az - while I do not own this particular hand guard or weapo, like you, I've installed many free floated hand guards, Aluminum on Aluminum or Aluminum on Steel. None required anything but muscle to get them to stay on.
Understand, though, that the union of two materials which are so dissimilar (composites and steel/aluminum) likely requires adhesion to ensure that no separation occurs. Most, if not all, composite hand guards cannot be torqued enough to prevent the cycle of heating expansion and contraction to cause them to eventually loosen. Attempting to torque them that much would likely strip the threads. Personally, I think the adhesives just come with the territory.
Posts: 47
Threads: 7
Joined: Feb 2013
No doubt mounting a composite handguard to the barrel nut is a challenge. If I had to attempt the design, I might go with the composite material permanently bonded to a metal collar, which in turn can be attached (perhaps with set screws) or threaded onto the barrel nut. Many handguards use a proprietary barrel nut (not sure if the one on the Overwatch is or not). Either way, the adhesive could permanently bond the composite material to the adapter while still allowing the owner to remove it via the adapter, for cleaning, without having to resort to heat, penetrating oil, etc.
Posts: 2,737
Threads: 44
Joined: Aug 2013
arizona98tj Wrote:No doubt mounting a composite handguard to the barrel nut is a challenge. If I had to attempt the design, I might go with the composite material permanently bonded to a metal collar, which in turn can be attached (perhaps with set screws) or threaded onto the barrel nut. Many handguards use a proprietary barrel nut (not sure if the one on the Overwatch is or not). Either way, the adhesive could permanently bond the composite material to the adapter while still allowing the owner to remove it via the adapter, for cleaning, without having to resort to heat, penetrating oil, etc.
Sounds like a product looking for someone to bring it to market...
Posts: 38
Threads: 2
Joined: Dec 2013
arizona98tj Wrote:If I had to attempt the design, I might go with the composite material permanently bonded to a metal collar, which in turn can be attached (perhaps with set screws) or threaded onto the barrel nut.
I believe Lancer does something similar with their carbon fiber handguards, or the hand guard straight up screws into the extension, one of the two.
Posts: 47
Threads: 7
Joined: Feb 2013
ThatRandomGuy Wrote:I believe Lancer does something similar with their carbon fiber handguards, or the hand guard straight up screws into the extension, one of the two.
That would make sense.
I started a thread on this awhile back...I could not for the life of me get it off..I brought it to a gun smith and paid 20 bucks. it was worth it. AA uses loctite on the threads.
Posts: 47
Threads: 7
Joined: Feb 2013
Nemo....did you reinstall it or did you switch to another brand?
I went with a yankee hill Smooth free float rifle length. very happy with it
Posts: 47
Threads: 7
Joined: Feb 2013
Thanks for the info....much appreciated.
Several companies use Loc-tite to install carbon fiber tubes to the barrel nut, but most are going away from it, to include AA with the G10 Handguard. Clark Customs and DPMS are examples that use(d) Loc-tite to attach CF Handguards.
The G10 uses an embedded threaded end that is already attached to the tube, and a knurled & threaded ring pulls the tube onto the barrel nut. I think it's one of the best carbon fiber handguards on the market.
|