Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
the grendel is amazing!!! 1230yards!!!!
#1
Finally done with the build and took It out to distance today. I really had my doubts but I was really impressed by the caliber!!!

MegaMKM
Lilja 319 (19")contour
Surefire brake
Precision Firearms NiB BCG
Geissele SSA-E
Noveske lower
Magpul ACS
SLR sentry clamping gas block
ASC mags
NF 2.5-10x 42mm Mil\mil
ADM recon 20moa

123gr. Lapua scenars
Hornady brass
LVR 31 gr.
CCI #450

2525fps at 77deg.


After checking zero we took it out from 450 yards to 820 yards steel. My wife did most of the shooting since I was the more experienced spotter. She had first or second round hits all the way to 820! When that round hits that steel...the sound echos back loud and clear..almost like a .308...my buddy shooting his 75gr. 556 doesn't even compare.
Dialing wind was the same as my 175smks

[Image: IMG_1502a.jpg]

[Image: side.jpg]

Today was 62deg. at sea level in PA. changing winds but all <8-10mph.

Here is my wife shooting out to 820 with my M40A3
[Image: IMG_1549.jpg]

The ballistics were spot on either G1 or G7 BC out to 800yards,,,,,then I had to try it at 1230yards! First I tried with my M40A3 and danced all over the base of the steel 12x20"(I think)

Dialed in 17.5 mils into the 10x NF on the Grendel and made a splash..adjusted 1mil left for wind and 18.1 mils for elevation and hit!!!! 2x out of 5 shots fired! I've hit it a quite a few times on other days with my M40A3(when I use my 155gr.scenars) but never my 175smks.
Heres the1230 target!
[Image: 1200yd.jpg]

There isn't any evidence of any keyholing...if anything it hit hard...Other spotters literally could hear the DING! after like 3 seconds!
I really can picture myself not shooting a .308 bolt anymore!
I don't know why the elevation was different than my calculated data..maybe the LVR powder was cooler than the 77deg zeroing temp, going subsonic,etc..bad mojo, who knows. but was really skeptical shooting this round till today!

I have to add.................I took off that scope with the ADM mount 3 times the other day to retighten the levers...the zero did not change at all from initial zero..........NONE AT ALL! .4" group today at 100 yards with no noticeable zero shift


the worst part now is my wife wants one too!
Reply
#2
That is just awesome! Great pics to boot. Glad to see the Grendel stretched out at its potential. Congrats and great shooting!
Reply
#3
Great shooting, excellent range report. Thanks for sharing.
Reply
#4
Excellent report, cst. A truly remarkable experience. Thanks for the great pics, too. My experience with that ADM Recon 20moa QD is quite similar. Off and on, with no change to zero? What's not to like about this mount???

I have to ask one thing, though - who owns the home that you're sending rounds past? If yours, then "What a Great Back Yard!!!"
Reply
#5
Thanks for sharing and good Shooting! I picked up my first grendel today and this isn't helping your killing me. I can't wait to shoot it in.
Reply
#6
But you missed the orange target dot! Wink

Nice shooting and nice rifle!
Reply
#7
Excellent!
Drifter
Reply
#8
Roguer Wrote:But you missed the orange target dot! Wink

Nice shooting and nice rifle!

Had it been me, I would have shot the blank plate and then placed the paster near enough to the impact points to claim credit for both accuracy and consistency! Smile
Reply
#9
Drifter Wrote:Excellent!

+1. And all of this in an AR15 platform. Thank you, Bill A.!
Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?
Reply
#10
Amazing, well done!

That's about 2.4secs for the bullet to hit the target, and another 3.3secs for the sound to return.

Almost 6 seconds.
Reply
#11
That is off the freakin' hook! Nicely done! Good looking boomstick as well.
Reply
#12
Great shooting! I appreciate that this is not like other AR forums and no one has said anything tacky about your wife... It's cool that she likes to shoot. I wish my wife liked to shoot... maybe one day.
Reply
#13
I just bought another Lilja barrel for her build!
Reply
#14
PigOPs Wrote:Great shooting! I appreciate that this is not like other AR forums and no one has said anything tacky about your wife... It's cool that she likes to shoot. I wish my wife liked to shoot... maybe one day.

It can happen. My wife first went shooting voluntarily with my last July 4th. Her idea, in fact. This is the same loving mother of my children who told me 25 years ago to get all those %#$$% guns out of the same house in which we were raising our children. Kids have now since left the nest, guns have returned, and I am still happily married to my bride. It can happen.
Reply
#15
NugginFutz Wrote:It can happen. My wife first went shooting voluntarily with my last July 4th. Her idea, in fact. This is the same loving mother of my children who told me 25 years ago to get all those %#$$% guns out of the same house in which we were raising our children. Kids have now since left the nest, guns have returned, and I am still happily married to my bride. It can happen.

Interestingly enough we have been watching the old seasons of TopShot together and she said recently it kind of makes her want to go shoot... She's def not anti, it's just not her cup o tea. Anyway, enough thread derailing.
Reply
#16
you have an uber-rifle that hits to 1230, you can hit to 1230, your wife hits to 820 ... you are one truly blessed bastige. I did notice, though, that your 1230 shots were about a foot low. maybe aim higher next time, just a tad. Smile
Reply
#17
Great range report and a very nice looking stick.
Reply
#18
I didn't believe it either until I took my 16" out to 1200yds. I figured it was a 700yd gun at best. Nice shooting CST, and great pics.
Reply
#19
We went to the farm again this past weekend to shoot the Grendel some more. here is a 4 shot group at 1000 yards my wife shot. The 3 measures about 4" after a wind correction .
Wind was a little crazy today compared to last week. We were dialing almost up to 2.3mils of wind at one point.

[Image: 20140531_140636.jpg]

I think the steel measures about 14" wide by 24"high.. The wind we dialed in was almost the exact same as my 2730fps 175gr. .308s! and only 1.3mils more in elevation at 1000 yards...we are at sea level at 75degrees. The coolest thing is that we could still hear a ding second or so later with the 6.5! Hits hard.

Here is a pic of the property from the 1230 yard target. the closer red dot on the pic thru the narrow channel is the shooting position we moved up to to shoot 1000yards. The farther red mark at the road makes it 1230.

[Image: 1000.jpg]


So we got the new Lilja barrel for her in the mail last week and hanguards from SLR M-Lok solo lite and a CMT Uper receiver coming this week. We'll drop it off at Mark's at Precision Firearms later this week to get them cerakoted Tungsten...Luckily she doesn't want a pink rifle! Hopefully it will be shooter like mine!
Reply
#20
Nice!
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)