Posts: 27
Threads: 9
Joined: Dec 2013
[attachment=2957][attachment=2956]
Nothing to fancy. Hoping to get out to shoot if the snow ever goes away. So far no land marks on the scenars I got from pf. Still need to find a scope, kicking around vortex or nightforce. Guessing I'll cheap out and get a 6-24x pst. Hopefully it will be a nice little paper puncher / maybe someday groundhog/coyote rifle.
Mega keymod upper
18" Liberty Barrel
Vortex flash hider
Gunfighter charging handle
Spikes lower parts kit
Sd-e trigger
Moe rifle stock
Apeg grip
WildBill3/75
Unregistered
Posts: 53
Threads: 7
Joined: Jan 2014
That is a good looking rifle. I'm building one almost like it but I used a magpul PRS. I found out that the PRS stock is very heavy. I was thinking of getting a stock just like the one you picked. Now that I have seen yours, I know I am. What contour is your barrel, and how does it balance with that stock?
Nice build with top-end receivers from Mega. For a coyote/target rifle, maybe consider going as light as possible and get a 2.5-10x44 Viper PST, or the 2.5-10x32 Viper PST FFP.
For dawn and dusk hunting, it will be nice to have illumination.
Posts: 27
Threads: 9
Joined: Dec 2013
Its mid weight. I think it was 850 ish under the handguard. I had a prs on the last one I built. Had a krieger .223 dcm controur with the prs. I'd say this balances about the same right, around the delta ring. I've really missed having an ar, sold it during the craze. Family could use the money, and I got more than I had in it out of it. That never happens lol. I like the moe unless you have a heavy contour that needs some weight on the back. I can't say I adjusted the cheek piece much on mine, I did mess with the length of pull, but I figure I can get that with thicker butt plate if I want. Also like the storage compartment.
Posts: 27
Threads: 9
Joined: Dec 2013
I'm not sure on scope magnification. I've got a 3-9 on my 22. Last ar had a 6-24 x 40 bushnell elite. I usually shot at the range with it cranked. I like the 3-9 at 50 yards. My old eyes seem to like more magnification. I know I want a bigger pupil exit than the 40 objective gave me on the last one. Nxs 5.5-22x with the 56 Obective i played with today looked like just what I want except for the price tag.
Posts: 53
Threads: 7
Joined: Jan 2014
I've got a Weaver Grand Slam 6-20x50 w/ side parallax on a canti- rail that help with the aging eye, like you mentioned. You don't hear a lot about these scopes but with Japanese glass in them I find that they are very bright and clear. Just as much as my top Leupolds or better. Also the adjustments are extremely smooth. I believe the whole scope is made in Japan. I don't know if that makes it better but it sure work great. The price has come down in the last year or so from $800-$900 to around $600ish.
Posts: 53
Threads: 7
Joined: Jan 2014
I forgot to mention that that scope is on the heavy side but what 20x power scope isn't. With a 50mm objective.