Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Lilja AR740
#1
Picked up a 20" grendel barrel from Lilja. I can't begin to express how happy I am with this barrel. Not only is it a very fine looking AR barrel, but it shoots just as good as it looks. It's only limiting factor seems to be me. I got to sight / break in the barrel today. Got the best groups I've ever achieved. I was using my fist under a small cushion as my rear rest. I believe with a good bag of some sort they will be much better. Anyways here's a pick of the rifle and a few targets. I couldn't help but pull the last two of each 5 shot group so I just left the last one at 3 cause it was best I'd ever done. All were fired at 100yds. The targets are just hand drawn 1" squares.
Factory 123 Amax 5 shots [ATTACH=CONFIG]4541[/ATTACH]
Factory 123 sst 5 shots [ATTACH=CONFIG]4542[/ATTACH]
Factory 123 sst 5 shots [ATTACH=CONFIG]4543[/ATTACH]
Factory 123 sst 3 shots [ATTACH=CONFIG]4544[/ATTACH]
Reply
#2
You dad that with your fist as a rear support? That's fantastic, and isn't just one cherry-picked group either. Did you use a standard M4 upper? Any squaring of the receiver face or bedding?
Reply
#3
Very nice. I am happy with my Lilja barrel too. Haven't tried for groups with mine yet, but it shoots very smooth.
Reply
#4
I've been meening to get a rear bag of some sort, but they just seem high for a bag with some stuffing in it. So I've played w some other ideas and a cushion on top of my fist then rest the pistol grip on the cushion has worked well for now. The cushion seems to take away some of my hands unsteadiness. The groups are quite different when I loose the cushion. This barrel though makes a night and day difference over my two previous grendel barrels. As far as the reciever goes, I must have gotten very lucky. The reciever was $88 from RedX and I've done nothing to it, but put a barrel in it.
Reply
#5
There is probably quite a bit more accuracy potential then with the upper receiver. With a nice face squaring, bolt lapping, billet upper with temperature fit, that should shoot lights out.

For rear bags, I really like the one from Tab Gear/Rifles Only out of all the bags I have used over the years. It can be used in 3 different positions, is very lightweight, and has webbing that you can run your hand through for certain positions for an even tighter rear bag feel:

[Image: tab_rear_support_small.jpg]

Quote:These bags may look plain but they are very versatile. They are rectangular shaped to allow 3 different height variations. Flat, short side, and long side. They are filled with just enough plastic beads to make it easy to adjust the height needed by simply squeezing or relaxing your hold on the bag. The corner loop is easily attached to a carabiner for easy carry. The webbing that runs longways on one side and across the bag on the other side provides a simple way to attach the bag to your rifle by running the bipod legs through them. You can also carry it easily by running your hand through the straps.



Made from 1000 Denier Cordura Nylon
Webbing is all 1" Milspec
Approximate size 7.5" x 1.5"
Entire bag is triple stitched for added strength.
All corners and webbing are triple stitched for added strength
Plastic beads on the inside, nothing to hold water
Light weight
Like all TAB GEAR, it has a lifetime warranty

https://www.riflesonly.com/pro-shop/tact...r-bag.html
Reply
#6
Quick question bout the bags. Are using more then one. Or do you turn it on its skinny side so its taller. I remember a thread recently that had a lot of info regarding lapping of the receiver face. I looked into the price of a reciever lapping tool. Then checked the barrel extension to receiver mating surface. It didnt look like there was any gap, but I went ahead and checked it with a .002 feeler gauge. The feeler didnt try to slide in or hang up any so I figured it was good to go. Also the extension fit very snug in the reciever. With out the barrel nut it had no play at all inside the receiver. You definitely seem like a guy that knows what he's talking about, so with that info if you think there could be more gained Ill give it a go. Also I appreciate your compliment on my shooting and offering your input.
Reply
#7
SknyBlt Wrote:Quick question bout the bags. Are using more then one. Or do you turn it on its skinny side so its taller.

On the bags...You can use two bags, but it is unusual. I saw an obese guy shooting Sporting Rifle at Raton need two rear bags given he was so high off the deck when prone. He was a good shot too.

The bags that come from TAB and Triad have polymer beads inside which although 'light' can be lighter. If you cut along the seam and empty the beads out, replacing with the superlight stuff you get in those horseshoe aircraft pillows then the bag ends up weighing only as much as the cordura bag itself. This means you can attach it to your webbing and run around with it without it bashing about and without you knowing it is there. It's the ultrafine white stuff that floats around and sticks to your clothes when you are trying to work with it. Some stuffed toys are filled with it as well.
Reply
#8
Ill definitely be ordering a bag then. $20 ain't bad at all. Ones at Sportmans Warehouse were $40 or $45 so I quit looking. Thanks for the reply.
Reply
#9
Just find 2 old socks and fill one with airsoft bbs and the other with sand/rice...Will be just about free. I can't believe people are trying to market sand socks, people will try to sell anything.
Reply
#10
WildBill3/75 Wrote:Just find 2 old socks and fill one with airsoft bbs and the other with sand/rice...Will be just about free. I can't believe people are trying to market sand socks, people will try to sell anything.

And with that being said people are willing to buy anything.
Reply
#11
To this day, I remember looking at a department store shelf, 40 years ago, in the bulk / dry goods section, and wondering how anyone could possibly think they could sell OD green cans of Dehydrated Water. But there they were, right next to the dehydrated fruit, and priced at $0.75 per can. Directions on the side clearly said to add water before use.
Reply
#12
OP, here are a few pics of "sand socks" very easy to do.
I always use the sand filled sock on top and squish that one as it gives finer adjustments...the airsoft one will give coarser adjustments. I also stack them to give more elevation if needed. Hope this helps you.

Quick how to;
1. Find an old sock that doesn't have any holes
2. Open sock
3. dump in bbs/sand
4. tie knot
5. fold excess sock back on itsself for added durability
6. go shoot.

[Image: sandsock_zps082b4eb6.jpg]
[Image: sandsock2_zps53455e0d.jpg]
[Image: sandsock3_zpsb3b730f1.jpg]

I've had that green one for 6-7 years...the white one is recent as the bb filled one finally kicked the bucket, as you can see they are easily replaceable.
Reply
#13
Haha that's a pretty good idea. I do like the bags mention though. Having the webbing to attach to my bag. For $20 sounds pretty good. I am going to give the sock idea a go regardless. I sure didn't think about that. Good idea.
Reply
#14
Thanks a heap for all y'all's input!
Reply
#15
NugginFutz Wrote:To this day, I remember looking at a department store shelf, 40 years ago, in the bulk / dry goods section, and wondering how anyone could possibly think they could sell OD green cans of Dehydrated Water. But there they were, right next to the dehydrated fruit, and priced at $0.75 per can. Directions on the side clearly said to add water before use.

Reminds me of the time I got my wife with a joke. We were in the dehydrated camping food section of the local outdoor store and the nalgene bottles were next to the food packets. Inside the bottles were desiccant packets. I turn to her and said, "look honey, Dehydrated water!" Immediate response was "really?!?" with a dumbfounded look on her face. It was priceless… LOL
Reply
#16
I finally got my Seekins 5/8-24 Comp for the AR-740 Lilja. I had wanted it for some time. Apparently I didn't realize the size when they said large, it's huge. Now I don't want it and need to send it back unless someone wants it. It is 1.20" diameter and 3" long. 7.35 oz. I should have checked there site better. http://www.seekinsprecision.com/gunsmith-fit-atc.html .

If anyone is interested let me know, they are back ordered so figured I would ask. Send a PM if interested or its going back so no worries.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)