FlatsFlite Wrote:My point is: I can grab any box of 6.8 off of a shelf and shoot it without a second thought. Now, I have a lierty barrel mounted and ready to roll, but it may be bad.
I have no brass on hand, and no way to tell if it's okay or not until I get some guages.
6.8 bashers can say what they want, but mine works, no question about that. Who knows about the Liberty barrel upper. A defenitive word would be nice one way or another. Otherwise, I'll fret over it for the next month.
By definitive input do you mean someone saying "oh your barrel is good, go shoot it" because no one can tell you that about the barrel in your hand. Go spend $40 and you'll have the equipment to get your own definitive conclusion.
This thread is getting out of hand and off topic. I have factory A-max ammo in the mail and once I determine if they will chamber(judging by my SST and SMK measurements i'm skeptical), I will continue my conversation with Saturn and share my results here.
cory Wrote:non existent bolts??? You haven't been around much lately have you. We've got 2 new manufacturers online with 3 new outlets to order them from. Not to mention that AA seems to be getting caught up on their back ordered bolts.
Yep. I have an AA hard use bolt sitting on my coffee table. Showed up Monday. Methinks the bolt famine may be over with.
adrenaline junkie
Unregistered
cory Wrote:non existent bolts??? You haven't been around much lately have you. We've got 2 new manufacturers online with 3 new outlets to order them from. Not to mention that AA seems to be getting caught up on their back ordered bolts.
Right *now* there are, for the first time in several years We will see how long that that stays. A month ago you could buy hornady 6.5 brass in 3-4 places, now its almost dried up. I hope the manufacturers can keep up, and get enough built for demand before switching back to 5.56 bolts on their line, but I wouldnt hold my breath. Chances are, that in the next 6-12 months, there will be another temporary shortage. It happens with most all components for non 5.56 AR parts. It took me almost a year to get everything I need to build and reload for mine, and ive never seen any factory ammo.
Posts: 1,717
Threads: 60
Joined: Feb 2013
FlatsFlite Wrote:My point is: I can grab any box of 6.8 off of a shelf and shoot it without a second thought. Now, I have a lierty barrel mounted and ready to roll, but it may be bad.
I have no brass on hand, and no way to tell if it's okay or not until I get some guages.
6.8 bashers can say what they want, but mine works, no question about that. Who knows about the Liberty barrel upper. A defenitive word would be nice one way or another. Otherwise, I'll fret over it for the next month.
Are you having issues cambering and firing factory ammo? I took my brand new barrels before this trend and stuck factory ammo in a mag and it worked fine. I have some more new unfired barrels and will compare the already fired to my unfired barrels later tonight.
Also I'll run a few rounds in each of them that I haven't been test fired. All the same batch so I'll see the before and after measurements too.
I'll let you know the results.
Or my wife will type and tell you what happened if it was bad.
I started messing with this caliber in November. Since then, I have built two rifles with match barrels, bought components and powder for 300 rounds, one box of factory ammo for reference, Redding dies, and a Forster seater ('cause the Redding doesn't like smashing powder), and all the measuring tools I need.
Rule#1 for messing with guns in 2014: Get while the getting is good. Last I checked, I can't get .458 SOCOM brass at all. Good thing I bought a bunch when it was piled up.
You can expect shortages in ANY category.
Posts: 504
Threads: 7
Joined: May 2013
01-22-2014, 08:01 PM
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2014, 05:09 AM by Sputnik.)
Sputnik Wrote:Well, so far so good...I think. For a very quick cursory check; I put my 123 SST dummy round in my 16 inch Liberty barrel. I inserted the bolt and rotated it until the lugs locked. I think that tells me my head spacing might be ok. I pulled it out and the extractor removed the round and I saw no scratches on the ogive. So, I guess it did not touch the lands. I don't know how far it is from the lands, when I get more time, I will try to determine that. I hope this comforts a few of us.
What I hope shows up is from bottom to top is a factory 123 Amax with land marks, next two are 123 SST factory rounds with land marks, Fourth is a 123 SST inserted in a slit casing and the cannalure was pushed back into the casing. Last/top an SST dummy round with cannalure hidden in the casing and no land marks.
Again, this 16 inch Liberty Group barrel is not mounted, the bolt engaged with the lugs by hand and rotated to release. The release of rounds with land marks was difficult to pull free.
Is this method flawed for a quick check that can be easily done while awaiting parts to build?
Posts: 51
Threads: 1
Joined: Nov 2013
[quote=Tedward]Are you having issues cambering and firing factory ammo? I took my brand new barrels before this trend and stuck factory ammo in a mag and it worked fine. I have some more new unfired barrels and will compare the already fired to my unfired barrels later tonight./QUOTE]
No brass, no ammo here. Go and no-go guages on order, but nothing to check the chamber with.
After the bolt, that was as hard as hell to assemble and this chamber scare, I'm about ready to give up on this one. If Satern says it's SAMMI, and it passes the field guages, I'm fine, but in the meantime, I'm not a happy camper thinking, I may have a dud and no way the check for God knows how long.
customcutter
Unregistered
FlatsFlite Wrote:[No brass, no ammo here. Go and no-go guages on order, but nothing to check the chamber with.
Maybe if you posted your location there is someone nearby that has factory ammo or tools to help check your barrel. BTW, I'm in west central Fl.
Posts: 257
Threads: 6
Joined: Jan 2013
FlatsFlite Wrote:No brass, no ammo here. Go and no-go guages on order, but nothing to check the chamber with.
After the bolt, that was as hard as hell to assemble and this chamber scare, I'm about ready to give up on this one. If Satern says it's SAMMI, and it passes the field guages, I'm fine, but in the meantime, I'm not a happy camper thinking, I may have a dud and no way the check for God knows how long.
My PTG Go/NoGo gauges just shipped from MidwayUSA, after a 6 month wait on backorder.
"A problem thoroughly understood is always fairly simple. Found your opinions on facts, not prejudices. We know too many things that are not true."
Charles F. Kettering
Posts: 51
Threads: 1
Joined: Nov 2013
Peoples Republic of Maryland until Feb. 28, then off to Va.
I've been seeking field guages statewide,not one gun smith I called had any, so I ordered a set along with brass. Grendel is ellusive here.
Posts: 107
Threads: 8
Joined: Nov 2013
Im sure the chamber will pass the go /nogo guages as it checks off the shoulder of the chamber .The problem seems to be the throat /lead is short
Posts: 184
Threads: 9
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,717
Threads: 60
Joined: Feb 2013
FlatsFlite Wrote:Peoples Republic of Maryland until Feb. 28, then off to Va.
I've been seeking field guages statewide,not one gun smith I called had any, so I ordered a set along with brass. Grendel is ellusive here. In Northern Va close to Md and DC. Factory ammo on hand and local gun shops have it regularly.
PM me.
XcountryRider
Unregistered
arnie Wrote:Im sure the chamber will pass the go /nogo guages as it checks off the shoulder of the chamber .The problem seems to be the throat /lead is short
I think the problem is internet hysteria not the throat or the lead or the barrels at all.
Posts: 1,717
Threads: 60
Joined: Feb 2013
I'm agreeing more and more with XCR's statement.
I spoke the Saterns shop manager this evening and he told me to pass along to everyone they are looking into the issue and they do not see anything obviously wrong. They will answer phone calls and are there for your support but if you feel something is unsafe and wrong, send them your barrel. No need trying things, they need to see the issue.
So stop typing and start packing it up and if it's that much of an issue, send it to the people that have made thousands of barrels. No need for anymore assumptions.
PigOPs Wrote:Out of curiosity because I've not figured out the whole "cannelure" thing. What is the issue with the cannelure being seated into the case?
This guy had a good question
Posts: 1,717
Threads: 60
Joined: Feb 2013
PigOPs Wrote:This guy had a good question 
I think that guys question was good too. The ring, cannelure, is there for the case to get a good seat into it for a good seamless transition. I think it is also so the case does not have a lip on the side of the bullet. Also then crimping isn't needed.
Some people crimp slightly and have said it to help accuracy but not sure if they do that on bullets with a cannelure.
Re-loaders should be able to answer more accurately but I think its there for a reason. Also it seems if you seat the bullet deeper it isn't needed so it might be an oxymoron...
Someone explain that part..now ism confusing myself.
Posts: 1,827
Threads: 111
Joined: Jun 2011
PigOPs Wrote:Out of curiosity because I've not figured out the whole "cannelure" thing. What is the issue with the cannelure being seated into the case?
http://www.exteriorballistics.com/reload.../crimp.cfm
"crimping groove"
a crimping groove does no good if it in inside the case.
LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!
Posts: 2,982
Threads: 194
Joined: Jun 2012
PigOPs Wrote:This guy had a good question 
Just my SWAG. The 123 SST was designed for the Grendel in every way. I just measured and the cannelure is ~0.06". The bullet was designed to be loaded into grendel brass with the neck stopping somewhere over the cannelure, using SAMMI Specs. If it's completely buried it seems you've got a chamber that is 0.06" short at least.
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin
Posts: 504
Threads: 7
Joined: May 2013
PigOPs Wrote:This guy had a good question 
For me it is another "tool", or reference point if you will. If the 123 SST factory round is intended to have the end of the casing and the cannelure at a certain point to provide a consistant length, then if it in too far then the round must be shorter. That is ok if that is where you want it.
|