Posts: 121
Threads: 14
Joined: Mar 2013
Has anyone successfully modified a ten round P-mag to accept five rounds and function properly? I was playing around with a twenty round mag and loaded six or seven Grendel rounds in it before any noticeable binding occurred.
I really want a four or five round (shorty) P-Mag to use for hunting, I like them much better for the lack of noise and they don't seem to get near as cold when temps drop.
Thanks.
explorecaves
Unregistered
They get just as cold but it doesn't feel as cold due to the difference in thermal conductivity between metal and plastic.
Posts: 667
Threads: 19
Joined: Mar 2011
If the law says you can only have 5 in the magazine you want to make sure that is all it will fit binding or not. I would go with the metal mags and duct tape a couple of hand warmers to it.
Posts: 1,143
Threads: 51
Joined: May 2012
You could in theory modify a magpul ten to be a single stack 5 round but you could also just put a plastic base on a metal Grendel mag and plug it to 5 rounds
Punctuation is for the weak....
Posts: 121
Threads: 14
Joined: Mar 2013
explorecaves Wrote:They get just as cold but it doesn't feel as cold due to the difference in thermal conductivity between metal and plastic.
Yep.
jurassic Wrote:I can get 3 in a 10 round Pmag before it swells, but its not ideal. I would get some metal mags and forget about plastic for the Grendel.
Wow, Only three aye? I was hoping to make it work. I just don't prefer metal mags but I will have to learn to deal with it I guess.
Posts: 121
Threads: 14
Joined: Mar 2013
Today I got a short ten round Gen3 P-mag and a five limiter, Cut .600 off limiter and put it all together. Five rounds fit with no excessive friction or binding nor does the mag swell. The mag easily slips in and out of the magwell. I will function test it soon and report. The only drawback I see and it is huge to long loaders I'm sure is factory Hornady 123 grain ammo is a tight fit almost rubbing the front of the mag. I don't see anything longer than about 2.250 fitting.
I use the magpie 20 round mags with no problem. I can fit 10 easily and no hiccups
When I tried a PMAG just for kicks, I had several stove pipe malfs, and my Grendel normally runs 100% with steel Grendel 9rd mags.
Posts: 121
Threads: 14
Joined: Mar 2013
LRRPF52 Wrote:When I tried a PMAG just for kicks, I had several stove pipe malfs, and my Grendel normally runs 100% with steel Grendel 9rd mags.
This is a concern, My rig is mainly for hunting and that is when I need the 5 round mag to work 100%. I will get out and test when this storm blows over.
My 10 round stainless CPD mags work 100%, although they only holds 9 rounds. I cleaned the inside really well with a green scotch brite pad, then deburred mine, no more scratches ,feeds great. I just tried another one out of the bag, it worked well also, but it did leave some marks on the brass which would probably disappear with use. It would be easy to make a block to limit capacity.
Well sorry to hear that. I've posted on this forum over a year ago about using pmags. I've shot over 600 rounds through the 20 round mags with exactly two malfunctions. I have three hunt kills while using those mags, although I've only used one round per kill, but I doubt my experience with the mags is unique. Good luck, jluck... Try it for yourself then rock on!
Posts: 21
Threads: 1
Joined: May 2011
I assume that using p-mags, you just swap the follower and adjust the feed lips as needed? Why not just get a 5-rnd limiter for a 10 round p-mag and adjust the limiter to only hold 5 Grendel rounds? Pardon my ignorance, but it sounds fairly simple.
I have some AR-Stoner 5-round 6.5G mags. Never used them, but they dry cycle fine. I know you wanted polymer; just tossing that out there.
Posts: 121
Threads: 14
Joined: Mar 2013
keith13b Wrote:I assume that using p-mags, you just swap the follower and adjust the feed lips as needed? Why not just get a 5-rnd limiter for a 10 round p-mag and adjust the limiter to only hold 5 Grendel rounds? Pardon my ignorance, but it sounds fairly simple.
That's exactly what I did. All dry tests pass with flying colors, I have not been able to fire a whole mag yet. Maybe later today or tomorrow.
Posts: 121
Threads: 14
Joined: Mar 2013
Fired rifle today, No issues. Looks like I have my five round hunting Pmag!
On a side note.... I see why people love this little cartridge in the AR platform. I found a nice level 500 yard range, Picking off little rocks of my choosing. It was awesome, I cant wait to take it further.
Posts: 335
Threads: 17
Joined: Aug 2011
I have a 9 red mag. It was sold as 10 red. I had to cut part of the follower off to get 10 RDS. I can't remember who made it. Works fine now.