Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
16" Hunting Rifle Build
#1
For the most part the build is done, Just have some finishing touches I am going to put on it.

SAA Reaper Lower, CMMG LPK, Milspec tube and CTR stock
Magpul MOE+ Grip
Magpul MOE Trigger Guard
16" Alexander Arms Upper
YHM Quad rail with Magpul XTM Enhanced Covers and hand stops
BCM Gunfighter Mod 1 Charging Handle
GG&G Sling Swivel Mount
ADM Recon Scope Mount
Nikon P-223 4-12X40 Scope

Still waiting on the last Butler Creek Tactical scope covers, and need to put a set of backup sights on it. I also have a Spikes ST-2 Buffer I am going to see how it runs with. I will have a range report tomorrow some time. Really excited to shoot this one.


[Image: IMG_2799_zps4ea73409.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2802_zps0ba7f08b.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2800_zps4b2d2623.jpg]
Reply
#2
Nice. Looks like we had a similar goal in mind:[ATTACH=CONFIG]4332[/ATTACH]
Reply
#3
Very Nice!

Well range trip was not so good. Rifle functioned fine, but I had a big problem with the accuracy. It is currently shooting between 3-5 MOA. Checked the scope mount, and used 2 different ammo's, and different shooter.

So we decided to pack it up and try again in the morning. The quad rail was really tough to get on, so we pulled that off and went to the factory hand guards. The plan is to shoot for group and see if it changes. The fact that is was so tight, we are thinking that it may be putting pressure on the barrel. If it doesn't, then we have a Leupold 3-9 in a cheap mount that we bore sighted in to throw on there. If it gets better then I will swap the Nikon scope out with the Leupold in the ADM mount to see if it is the mount or the scope. If none of that is the issue it may be in the upper. The upper looks good, the bore is great, no burs near the gas port. The scope mount was very tight, and the rings were torqued to 20 in lbs. The bottom screw were tightened first, then the uppers to keep the rings tight on the mount.

Hopefully we will find it in the morning. I am also open to any suggestions.
Reply
#4
stanprophet Wrote:It is currently shooting between 3-5 MOA. Checked the scope mount, and used 2 different ammo's, and different shooter.

Factory ammo or reloads? Are you shooting off sandbags?
Reply
#5
Factory Wolf and AA 123 Lapua off of sand bags. Im heading off for another trip.
Reply
#6
A free float hand guard should tighten things up if you don't find success today

Richard
Reply
#7
Great looking rifle, hopefully you got the bugs worked out. Post your results, plenty of knowledgeable guys here willing to help. You are not alone.
Reply
#8
I would suggest trying different ammo. My 16" AA upper will group factory loaded 120 Nosler BT and 123 Hornady from PF and AA sub MOA. It groups Wolf ammo right at 6". I've also seen groups tighten up after a few boxes of ammo. I would also suggest shooting 2-3 boxes of the same ammo before switching over.
Good luck
Reply
#9
Ok to update, ran 50 rounds through the upper yesterday, using AA 123 gr and Wolf 120gr MPT. The best group was about 5 inches out of all of them, with some running upwards of 8". It seemed that the more I shot it the worst it became. Here are the 2 best groups from yesterday.

[Image: IMG_2805_zps578ef23e.jpg]

We went out to the 50 yard today and fire 3 rounds in a 3.5" group, then I switched the scope and mount and scope out and fire three more with the same size group, and a slight POI shift. So we broke out the other new upper that was in the safe. Put my Nikon on the upper and fired a 5 shot group with the max spread of 2", the last 2 shots key holed. It was already looking better.

[Image: IMG_2806_zps51375a07.jpg]

So we moved the the 100 yard, I fired a 4 shot group. I was shaking bad and trying to get settled in. The first group was looking better. The last shot went off and we could not tell where it went. But it looked like it may have key holed in the hole at 11 oclock. There looks to be 2 powder rings when we looked close. I know the last shot was good, sight alignment, and sight picture was perfect when the trigger broke. We could not see it trough the spotting scope, so I moved to the Shoot and See above.

[Image: IMG_2807_zps3205602e.jpg]

The first 2 shots were out on the outer edge, these were me, and the 11 inch SBR going of next to me. The last shots were done one after another.

[Image: IMG_2808_zps544a8fae.jpg]

I drank too much coffee this AM, and it showed. I must much stedier yesterday. But overall the performance of the second upper was much better. Also the brass inspection looked much better. The first upper were showing pressure signs on some of the brass, even the AA brass. This one seemed to be much more consistent than the other one. This ones is performing much like the one my dad built for himself.
Reply
#10
What is the update on your build, those groups are NOT inline with AA known quality....

I am putting the final touches on my 16" hunter over the next two weeks.

BB
Reply
#11
What you are calling a "keyhole" looks like two shots touching each other.
Generally, key holing refers to when a bullet is under stablised and starts to tumble end over end.
Reply
#12
Bennybone Wrote:What is the update on your build, those groups are NOT inline with AA known quality....

I am putting the final touches on my 16" hunter over the next two weeks.

BB

Well the second upper worked out fine, its grouping good. My dad is contacting AA on the first one, since it was also showing pressure signs on AA brand 123 Scenar ammo. I will have it out next weekend for some more range time, and to test out the new 300 blk build.
Reply
#13
dmsims21 Wrote:What you are calling a "keyhole" looks like two shots touching each other.
Generally, key holing refers to when a bullet is under stablised and starts to tumble end over end.

Yea, I realized my choice of wording was not that great after posting this. You are correct, there was no problem with stabilization.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)