Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Grendel build has potential!
#1
Made it out to the range today and figured I would take the brand new Grendel with me. I only took one box of ammo with me (123 A-Max Factory loads) spent 15.. yes 15 GD rounds getting it on paper, wasn't having the best day at the range.. ANYHOW.. I found center finally (single hole below group), now I had 4 rounds left, so I pressed them of slowly and deliberately and came out with a 4 shot .4"x.7" (outside measurements) group at 100 yards.

[Image: IMG_0336.jpg]

That Bartlein barrel is a SHOOTER!!! Cant wait to see what she can really do past 100 yards. It is tempting to use it at the match on Sunday, but I think ill stick with the bolt gun...

[Image: IMG_0333.jpg]
Reply
#2
I'd call that a good start, a very good start.
Reply
#3
Tell me about that case ... love it.
Reply
#4
Patriot Case blank AR case that I cut (the foam) myself.

My buddy Brack (Owner & Operator) offers these BA cases.

He has standard precut AR cases that fit AR's with 20" barrels or less.

Anyways. All his cases come standard with 2.2lb polyethylene closed cell foam (the good stuff), and his customer service is insanely awesome.

Here's a pic of my other Patriot cases (2 of the other 3 I have)

[Image: null-10.jpg]

[Image: 8FB66527-64BE-4A51-989F-7220DA251EBB.jpg]
Reply
#5
One thing I do to make sure that I am on-paper with a new scope installation is bore-sight the gun. The more distance you have to do this, the more close to zero you will be.

Make a zero target with a percentage of 100yds less than your scope height for the distance bore-sight at.

I make a piece of paper with a round dot for my bore, and one for my crosshairs. If my scope height is 2.5", and the bore sight target is at 10yds, I need 90% of 2.5" or 2.25" for the reticle height on the bore sight paper. If it was 50yds, it would be 1.25", 75yds would be .625", etc.

Anyway, that will really help with your windage and elevation being close on paper. I remove my upper, take out the BCG, place it in a rest, and tape the bore sight target up. I align the bore with the dot for the bore, then dial the reticle in. It works very well.

I used to work in a shop where we had the Leupold magnetic bore sight tool, which I would do for a starter. I then would use the method I described above, and guys would bring in their bolt rifles to me to have done. I would set up in the back of the store, and aim through a doorway with the rifle on a rest. I taped up a piece of paper with the grid on the inside of the store's front wall, so no customers could see what was going on, and it gave me the most distance obtainable without going outside.

I had been used to using the laser bore sighting systems in the Army, which worked surprisingly well for us, and they even made it an EIB station task in 2002. Those kits required you to zero the laser to the bore by turning it, then making adjustments until the laser no longer moved in an arc on the bore sight target, so they were much more accurate than the systems you see that involve dropping a laser cartridge into the chamber.

Looks like you have a shooter. With some fine-tuning of the zero, it will provide very nice down-range performance. My .260 Rem Bartlein is a 1/2 MOA gun with 5rd groups, and one of the Templar 6.5 Grendels with Bartlein pipes I Cerakoted was a shooter as well.
Reply
#6
It was an unusual zeroing session. I had a guy (who I didn't know) spotting for me and he was utterly useless.

Anyways, that low shot is from me holding at the top of the paper and it striking approx 4.6" low.

I'm betting velocity will not be an issue with some CFE, I have 4#'s in the garage waiting to be used.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)