Posts: 59
Threads: 13
Joined: Sep 2013
?
Just notice all the love for the 6.8 all over the place and just a quick search on Gunbot shows a ton of ammo out there along with accessories at all the major retailers. Do the same for the Grendel and I find next to nothing and even Midway seems to be cutting their losses and putting a lot of the Grendel stuff on Clearance which happens to be how I just got my Redding Dies for next to nothing. I Love the round but if it wasn't for having the option of reloading this caliber just wouldn't have been the choice for me. Just is kind of concerning.
explorecaves
Unregistered
IF they are cutting their losses, then they are doing the same with the 6.8spc as I saw 4 times the number of 6.8spc reloading parts on clearance than 6.5 grendel. More realistic interpretation is they are making room in the warehouse for more product. The longer it sits in the warehouse, the more it costs them. So periodically, they reduce the price to make them move while still making a profit.
Posts: 1,685
Threads: 55
Joined: Mar 2011
Neither cartridge is gonna disappear. Use either or both and enjoy.
Drifter
XcountryRider
Unregistered
The Grendel has a great following and is growing at a good consistent pace.
Posts: 246
Threads: 17
Joined: Aug 2012
I'm with Drifter. I own both, love both and shoot the heck out of both. For me they fill different roles and I'm happy with that. I don't think either is going away and I think the Grendel is just going to gain in popularity. I got into the Grendel because I wanted something with some legs but lighter than my .260s, so far I have been very pleased with this little round. Both have their die hard believers and I guess I fall into the category of liking them both. Maybe I'm strange. I have .223, .260, 6.8, 6.5 and .308 and like them all, but that is just me.
XcountryRider Wrote:The Grendel has a great following and is growing at a good consistent pace. The 300blk and the 6,8SPC grew quickly and could fade just as quick. Basically the 6.8SPC argument is look more people use this cartridge so you should to. Thats pretty weak and not very sustaining over the long run. As the Grendel continues to steadily grow then that simple argument just goes away. Bottom line don't worry about what you perceive everyone else is doing. What makes the Grendel so cool is that not everyone is using it.
XcountryRider
Unregistered
woohoo Wrote:![[Image: smiley-laughing025.gif]](http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing025.gif)
As soon as you introduce the 270AR beyond an insiders only club whats the argument for the 6.8SPC II?
XcountryRider Wrote:As soon as you introduce the 270AR beyond an insiders only club whats the argument for the 6.8SPC II? All of the wildcats I make are just special projects not cartridges I think will become a mainstream cartridge. Everyone wants something different. The 6.8 has a pyramid growing under it. Turns out hog hunters like using a semi auto that can kill hogs. A lot of guys that have been using bolt guns for years are jumping on the MSR bandwagon. I make a crapload of money off the 5.56 and 6.8. If things will get back to normal I may be able to turn out some 264s but right now the supply line is really hurting the 264/Grendel.
XcountryRider
Unregistered
woohoo Wrote:All of the wildcats I make are just special projects not cartridges I think will become a mainstream cartridge. Everyone wants something different. The 6.8 has a pyramid growing under it. Turns out hog hunters like using a semi auto that can kill hogs. A lot of guys that have been using bolt guns for years are jumping on the MSR bandwagon. I make a crapload of money off the 5.56 and 6.8. If things will get back to normal I may be able to turn out some 264s but right now the supply line is really hurting the 264/Grendel.
I sort of get that but i think the 270AR has to much potential for a small special project.
Both cartridges are the two main flagships of the Higher Performance Intermediate Cartridge concept that fits in the AR15, and is suitable for hunting in most states, with very real energy improvements over the .223 Remington.
As more and more people hunt with AR15's, demand will only increase. I don't see the Grendel or 6.8 doing anything but gaining more and more customers as the AR15 becomes the equivalent of the new Mauser action. There are literally millions of people who are being introduced to shooting on AR15's, not their daddy's Model 70 or Rem 700 anymore. When it comes time to hunt, the first question out of their mouths will more and more be, "Is there another caliber I can go deer/hog-hunting with that has more power than the .223 Rem, but still fits in my AR15?"
"Are there mags for it, factory ammo?"
Right now, that's a lot of yes's for the Grendel and 6.8, and the industry support is only increasing.
XcountryRider
Unregistered
LRRPF52 Wrote:Both cartridges are the two main flagships of the Higher Performance Intermediate Cartridge concept that fits in the AR15, and is suitable for hunting in most states, with very real energy improvements over the .223 Remington.
As more and more people hunt with AR15's, demand will only increase. I don't see the Grendel or 6.8 doing anything but gaining more and more customers as the AR15 becomes the equivalent of the new Mauser action. There are literally millions of people who are being introduced to shooting on AR15's, not their daddy's Model 70 or Rem 700 anymore. When it comes time to hunt, the first question out of their mouths will more and more be, "Is there another caliber I can go deer/hog-hunting with that has more power than the .223 Rem, but still fits in my AR15?"
"Are there mags for it, factory ammo?"
Right now, that's a lot of yes's for the Grendel and 6.8, and the industry support is only increasing.
Your right.
I would also like to suggest not getting into a ballistics comparison with the 6.8 folks, and adopt a more unified approach to the new consumers.
We look like complete jerk-offs when we start splitting hairs over BC vs. mv, my dog is bigger than yours, my dad can kick your dad's fat nasty a**, etc.
It really turns a lot of people off who might otherwise have been more open-eared to what we have to say, and the merits of these cartridges for the AR15.
The main thing we want to do is get more and more people shooting, hunting, and being responsible gun owners who are friendly, and not like two preachers stuck on an airplane trying to save each other from their fervent beliefs, while the rest of the passengers suffer the dialogue.
People who enjoy freedom + gun owners + hunters or competitors = friends in my book.
XcountryRider
Unregistered
LRRPF52 Wrote:I would also like to suggest not getting into a ballistics comparison with the 6.8 folks, and adopt a more unified approach to the new consumers.
We look like complete jerk-offs when we start splitting hairs over BC vs. mv, my dog is bigger than yours, my dad can kick your dad's fat nasty a**, etc.
It really turns a lot of people off who might otherwise have been more open-eared to what we have to say, and the merits of these cartridges for the AR15.
The main thing we want to do is get more and more people shooting, hunting, and being responsible gun owners who are friendly, and not like two preachers stuck on an airplane trying to save each other from their fervent beliefs, while the rest of the passengers suffer the dialogue.
People who enjoy freedom + gun owners + hunters or competitors = friends in my book.
There's a place for both actually. There's a place for the occupational debate after all it was one of your older debates that convinced me to go Grendel over the 6.8SPC. It just needs to be done without engaging in the nasty insults even if some get flung your way don't return the favor just stick to the facts. We don't debate the cartridges on the Hunting with AR Facebook page that i admin its specifically for promoting Hunting with AR's in general. A rising tide lifts all boats as they say. As AR hunters we have more in common than we have differences. Us Grendelers are just a little cooler
https://www.facebook.com/groups/509156359145636/
Posts: 629
Threads: 67
Joined: Apr 2013
As I review this friendly Discussion, the thought that comes to mind is, What's missing, here, is a 6.5mm twin to the 270AR!
SHORT-N-SASSY Wrote:As I review this friendly Discussion, the thought that comes to mind is, What's missing, here, is a 6.5mm twin to the 270AR!
H says the 6.5BRX is a better way to go since the 6.5 uses longer bullets than the 270AR.
The 6.5BRX is based off the 6BR.
adrenaline junkie
Unregistered
I believe There's a couple things that have caused it. First, A A'S not allowing anyone else to make the 6.5 for years, hurt it.
Second the "marketing". More people hunt, than target shoot. I'm not talking about the two cartridges actual abilities, they are both fine performers. 6.5s are excellent hunting cartridges, and with some of the 120 and 130 great bullets out now, 6.8s can hit steel out to 1k as well. But! The 6.5 has always been touted as a long range target round, and the 6.8 has always been touted as a hard hitting medium range hunting round. I have a 260, 270, 6.8 and 6.5. I enjoy all of them. I bought parts and surprised my brother yesterday, and today we built his own 264 lbc. Tomorrow, he and I are going to build my 12.5 inch 6.8 pistol. There's plenty of room for both cartridges IMHO, I think there's a great future, and I think the future holds some amazing promise with rounds like the 6.5BR and 270AR that I can't wait to get ahold of.
The 300BO is our real enemy dammit, we've got to get rsilvers to realize it's barely in the same category as a BB gun!!!!
Posts: 3,214
Threads: 215
Joined: Jun 2011
LRRPF52 Wrote:I would also like to suggest not getting into a ballistics comparison with the 6.8 folks, and adopt a more unified approach to the new consumers.
We look like complete jerk-offs when we start splitting hairs over BC vs. mv, my dog is bigger than yours, my dad can kick your dad's fat nasty a**, etc.
It really turns a lot of people off who might otherwise have been more open-eared to what we have to say, and the merits of these cartridges for the AR15.
The main thing we want to do is get more and more people shooting, hunting, and being responsible gun owners who are friendly, and not like two preachers stuck on an airplane trying to save each other from their fervent beliefs, while the rest of the passengers suffer the dialogue.
People who enjoy freedom + gun owners + hunters or competitors = friends in my book.
Sage advice and right on the money
Posts: 629
Threads: 67
Joined: Apr 2013
SHORT-N-SASSY Wrote:As I review this friendly Discussion, the thought that comes to mind is, What's missing, here, is a 6.5mm twin to the 270AR!
--- along with a twin to woohoo's ingenuity and salesmanship, but with a 6.5mm slant.
The good news: both sides of this "healthy" Discussion recognize that the 0.264" - 0.277" represents today's "ballistic hot spot," something even the military is coming to recognize, if begrudgingly.
Personally, I believe it has to do with parts availability/industry support. Despite the fact that I ordered a 6.5 barrel months ago, I could easily get a 6.8 barrel and bcg today, in stock. My 6.5 barrel is still several weeks out. For those who purchase rifles rather than building them, there are several mainstream manufacturers offering nice 6.8 rifles, but only a handful of smaller shops offering 6.5 alternatives. 6.8 mags and ammo are not only available, but plentiful. I am seriously considering building a 6.8 while I wait on 6.5 barrels. I personally believe they are both fine cartridges.
The years of patent restriction kept 3 or 4 of my friends from getting a 6.5 Grendel. They went with a 6.8. Now when we all shop for parts/upgrades they smirk at me. Of course, when it comes to shooting, the shoe goes on the other foot.
|