Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Polymer Magazines for the Grendel
#1
Gents,

I was recently handling some of the new Troy Battle Mags, and they appear to be dimensionally very similar to standard GI mags as far as width is concerned, unlike the other polymer mags on the market currently.

I think I will have to get some, and see how the Grendel cartridges fit in them, and if they show any promise to being modified for standard-capacity use as a Grendel mag. They don't appear to have internal limitations that would affect the Grendel cartridge right now, but more experimenting needs to be done.

If anyone already has them, maybe you can beat me to it...

If they don't work, I can see how just a little tweaking of the design would provide a viable and reliable polymer magazine for the Grendel case.
Reply
#2
That would be sweet. It's what the grendel needs.
Reply
#3
Yeah it would be a great discovery for us all for sure. Less case ware and less friction. Good things for everybody.
Reply
#4
My concern with polymer mags is that without the reinforcing ribs I can't figure out how they wont swell as the pressure on the rounds from the spring tries to force them into a tighter doublestack.

Polymer mags certainly would be huge advantage, but so would ANY mag which works 100% of the time! I have been lucky, and every mag I've bought from AA, 44mag, or direct from C Products has worked right off the bat, but I know many others haven't been so lucky.

That's a QC issue, and the new owners of the C Products shop are supposedly determined to fix that, but having another source of mags would certainly be worthwhile!
”You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt
Reply
#5
I would live to see a single stack polymer (if on one can get a double stack to work) magazine for the grendel that I could use for hunting. If I could get 7 or 8 rounds in it I would be more than happy.
Reply
#6
StoneTower Wrote:I would live to see a single stack polymer (if on one can get a double stack to work) magazine for the grendel that I could use for hunting. If I could get 7 or 8 rounds in it I would be more than happy.

Got a single center feed ramp on your Grendel, do you? Smile

Otherwise a single stack would have to come off one side of a double stack, which is doable, (I can think of two ways to do it, but can't think of a single advantage over a 10 round double stack)
”You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt
Reply
#7
The main problem I see for polymer magazines is the same problem I have found with the polymer 7.62x51/.308 magazines. In order to make the magazines strong enough, they have to make the magazines pretty thick. This thickness reduces the overall length of the cartridge so that rounds have to be noticeably shorter. I like having magazines that allow me the option to have a little more cartridge overall length. Sure, the 308 mags will JUST fit ball ammo, but it is a really tight fit, and if I try to use hollow point bullets, they often drag on the front of the mag causing jams that don't occur with metal magazines.
Reply
#8
bwaites Wrote:Got a single center feed ramp on your Grendel, do you? Smile

Otherwise a single stack would have to come off one side of a double stack, which is doable, (I can think of two ways to do it, but can't think of a single advantage over a 10 round double stack)

No I don't have a center feed ramp on my Grendel. I already thought of that. I don't think the 450 Bushmaster or the WSSM uppers have center feed ramps do they? I was thinking it could feed out of one side or maybe have tapered strips to narrow the mag and at the very top let the cartridges spread out. This would allow the magazine to be thicker at the bottom sides so that it is stiffer. I like to think outside the box. I can't help it Smile
Reply
#9
Stone, the 450 and the wssm's are all center fed. I thought up a design for a single 1 side stack grr. mag. 2 yrs. ago.... find a long narrow spring, 38 super? or whatever fits, glue in a center vertical seperator,, modify the follower and the opposite side of mag., on the upper section, and it should work. So I re-attempted to make the double stack 20 rnd. p-mag. function today, after a 6 mo. hiatus. Not too impressed with my final try outcome, the top round drags the next in line ahead, to cause a jam. The single stack may work, I won't bother. The double stack is not reliable. Find some new 10 rnd. c-prod. mags- ( the newest ones ) tweak the lips up to function and wait for something better to come along. Wanna buy my 20 rnd. try-try-try model? I get bored her in feb.- march.,, alas I also have a heavily modified 30 rnder. These won't work out.., some said they work, = il nadda.
Reply
#10
I am purchasing AA upper late next week. This is my first post. (total Grendel Noob). I have several other rifles, however. Are the C product mags the only ones available for this cartridge? If so, I need to start a new business!!!
Reply
#11
Angry_Waiter Wrote:I am purchasing AA upper late next week. This is my first post. (total Grendel Noob). I have several other rifles, however. Are the C product mags the only ones available for this cartridge? If so, I need to start a new business!!!

keep us posted on your rifle buddy, welcome to the forums new here myself and to the 65 grendel, have been waiting on my AA upper for the longest it seems.
Reply
#12
Has anyone attempted to modify a Pmag to run in the Grendel? I have been toying with the idea of measuring the feed lip length on a C Products mag and dremeling the feed lips on a Pmag to match. Are the follower dimensions in a Grendel mag different?
Reply
#13
Darkop Wrote:Has anyone attempted to modify a Pmag to run in the Grendel? I have been toying with the idea of measuring the feed lip length on a C Products mag and dremeling the feed lips on a Pmag to match. Are the follower dimensions in a Grendel mag different?

Won't work, interior dimensions on the PMag are too tight and after about 5 rounds or so you will start to bulge the mag.
”You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt
Reply
#14
Angry_Waiter Wrote:. Are the C product mags the only ones available for this cartridge? If so, I need to start a new business!!!

Go for it. People on this forum will keep you busy.
Reply
#15
Darkop, read back on page 1 of this thread. Wanna buy my 2 p-mags, that I modified and won't function at all ???
Reply
#16
Never a stupid question, right? Why can't we just replace the follower in a 223 magazine with a Grendel follower(if they were available)?
Reply
#17
Whelenon Wrote:Never a stupid question, right? Why can't we just replace the follower in a 223 magazine with a Grendel follower(if they were available)?

The feed lip geometry and the depth of the sidewall grooves would still be wrong for 6.5 Grendel. The .223/5.56 mag would also swell and be unusable after 5-6 rounds were inserted. When it comes to magazines - especially for semiautos - the tiniest differences separate the reliable from the useless.
Reply
#18
I figured there'd be good reason, just haven't seen it brought up. Thanks.
Reply
#19
I'm betting something is coming along down the road soon , guys. Just wait.. Plus I have a saleable idea , that I will put out soon to a mag. co. .
Reply
#20
I was at the range banging' steel today and just for the hell of it I stuffed 8 Grendel rounds into a 20 round PMag. Your absolutely right they just bulged out the sides and feed lips. Oh well, I have never had any problems with my C Products mags. And I stuffed a few rounds of 5.56X45 into a Grendel mag and they wouldn't feed into my MK12 Mod0.

Until that day,
Darkop
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)