Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
123 SST or 120 TTSX for Whitetail
#1
I am sure either of them would be sufficient, but these are the two bullets that I happen to have an the moment. They have both tested well enough with moderate loads. Quick range report:

123 SST was at ~2335 fps. This was with 27 grains of 8208. 3 out of 4 three shot groups were under 1" at 100 yards. Velocities were pretty consistent.

120 TTSX was at ~2330 fps with two 5 shot groups that were both just over 1". Charge was 26.5 gr of 8208.

Velocities were less consistent with the TTSX, but I wasn't keeping close enough records to see exactly what the standard deviations or extreme spreads were. When I work one of them up this weekend, I will. Neither load showed any pressure signs, but I wouldn't expect them to at this point, both loads are middle of the road.

Rifle is 18" barrel mid-length gas system if that matters.

I will probably only get the chance to work one or the other up toward max load before hunting season. Which one do you think I should work on? Most likely shots will be around 100 yards only, but depending on what happens, the potential is there for a long shot to present itself - some of my hunting is done around some farm country, so you never know what you might see out in a field. I probably would not be comfortable taking any shots over maybe 250 with this rifle anyway, just because I haven't had enough range time with it yet. I should be able to sight in for a maximum point blank range of about that though, so no need to worry about holdover or dialing anything at that range.

I am thinking I will work up the TTSX, because that one is more limited by the impact velocity (2000 for the TTSX vs 1800 for the SST). That way if I can get that one up closer to 2500fps, I will have that one, and the SST both be good out to 250 yards, which like I said is as far as I plan on shooting anyway.

I know if all subjective, just wondering if anybody has opinions either way.
Reply
#2
I think you answered your own question. The SST has the accuracy advantage. One is no better at killing from 0-250 yards then the other. The SST is cheaper and probably more available.
Reply
#3
hm2 clark Wrote:I think you answered your own question. The SST has the accuracy advantage. One is no better at killing from 0-250 yards then the other. The SST is cheaper and probably more available.

+1 !!
Reply
#4
hm2 clark Wrote:I think you answered your own question. The SST has the accuracy advantage. One is no better at killing from 0-250 yards then the other. The SST is cheaper and probably more available.

+1
Reply
#5
hm2 clark Wrote:I think you answered your own question. The SST has the accuracy advantage. One is no better at killing from 0-250 yards then the other. The SST is cheaper and probably more available.

+1, er I mean ya, that makes sense. Loaded up a ladder for the 123 SST's with IMR 8208, 27.3, 27.6, 27.9, 28.2, 28.5
I'll let you know the results after I shoot them this weekend.
Reply
#6
8208 results?
Reply
#7
Have you see. The thread on the 123 SST and cfe223? Your velocities are pretty darn low.
Reply
#8
I want to say a something, funky, yet I will wait. The best comment I can do for now , is= the 120 TTSX is toooo pokey to open up =All the way , for a reliable kill. The barney 130 , is just horrid.
Yes, someone claimed to make=THE -700 yd. - SHOT-on an elk-= using the 120 TTSX=probably spined it ! For the average hunter-inside of 450 yds. ==Really? You will most likely miss the animal by a mile., and even if you hit it-==it will be a non lethal hit= u will waste time chasing it, the deer will die a miserable death due to your lack of shot placement-geometry., And poor bullet choices.
The facts=
Know your shot distances- as to a Kill zone, still shot, or on the run!! I would trust a 129SST - over a 120 TTSX , any time., at range.

My beloved Gmx pills are mostly short- to med. range units.. I recently branched them out a bit, up & over the 95 grn. wts.
Even still, I trust the lead core pills in the 129 grn. wts., at ranges beyond my -future tests of the heavier gmx units. Busy guy here, I do as I can,.

Look back @ my slice & dice last winter,,, the 129 is way more hardcore , than the 123 sst,- as far as Gilding metal -jacket construction is concerned.

Dial up tools of thetrade- he sent me a 120 TTSX that barely opened @ all thru the H2O jugs. Less is truly more on these mono pills.

I have spent the time=dropped the dimes! x 10 to see what we have -for us all to use, enjoy.
Reply
#9
Sneaky: You drinking tonight?
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)