ragedracer1977
Unregistered
Packing up for my first deer hunt. Leaving straight after work tomorrow, season opens Friday morning 30 minutes prior to sunrise.
I'm so excited, I don't know what to do!
Of course, I'll be using a grendel!
Posts: 990
Threads: 8
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 692
Threads: 63
Joined: Nov 2011
Goid luck it Should be good. The rut started early here so it should be close to full swing. I'll be out there this weekend/ week also.
ragedracer1977
Unregistered
Well, 6 full days and didn't see a single buck. Not even a yearling spike. Not a darn thing with antlers. Saw upwards of 50 does + fawns, 9 bull elk, 50+ cow elk, 14 antelope, but not one single buck.
I hiked over 12 miles according to my gps. Up hills, down hills, got snowed on, walked to the truck in the dark. Sat on waterholes for hours. I fired one round the whole hunt, and it was to whack a coyote. I was sitting on a water hole, sun was going down, and a herd of cattle showed up. Then this yote came in for a drink. I made a "yip" sound, it looked right at me, and I drilled it in the chest. You can see the entrance just in front of the left shoulder. It didn't even jump, just fell over dead. Guess I blew up it's spine or something. Exit was pretty nasty, blew organs out the rib cage. Photos below. First couple aren't graphic, but you're warned if you scroll down, there are some that are a bit graphic.
Posts: 1,717
Threads: 60
Joined: Feb 2013
Nice shot and atleast you got to shoot something. I did zoom in on your Grendel. I notice you have a DPMS Low Profile upper. I have them on a few uppers and they are a great receiver and lock everything together tight. I also like your camo paint job. I'm going that route on one of my woods hunters and you gave me a few ideas on the colors and smear or fade pattern.
Well at least you got some exercise... Keep looking, it will get better, just wasn't the time... I guess if that helped...
ragedracer1977
Unregistered
Tedward Wrote:Nice shot and atleast you got to shoot something. I did zoom in on your Grendel. I notice you have a DPMS Low Profile upper. I have them on a few uppers and they are a great receiver and lock everything together tight. I also like your camo paint job. I'm going that route on one of my woods hunters and you gave me a few ideas on the colors and smear or fade pattern.
Well at least you got some exercise... Keep looking, it will get better, just wasn't the time... I guess if that helped...
Thanks! It was a 75 yard shot and I was standing up when I took it. The yote got under the rim of the water hole and I had to stand to make the shot. I was pretty happy.
Overall, it was a great trip. Disappointed that I didn't shoot a deer, but I guess that's why they call it 'deer hunting' and not 'deer shooting' LOL!
ETA: for the camo, I sprayed the whole thing a base coat of desert tan (I do most of my hunting in the desert) and then used pine straw laid over the rifle to paint the different colors. I ran out of time to do the scope, but I will soon.