Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
barrel choice
#1
What should I be looking for when choosing a barrel for my upcoming build?

Certainly, the length. I'm thinking something like a 16-18" and my AR will be for hunting, if that matters.
Anything else?
Any brand/manufacturer I should look for or avoid?
Reply
#2
There is a ton of information in the Lilja group buy thread.
Reply
#3
I'll go check that out.
Reply
#4
Availability! If you can come across one get it. HAHA

But seriously, if it's for a hunting build I'd go with 16" MLGS Medium or light contour, unless you're looking to take shots out to 500 yards then I'd go with a 20" RLGS light weight contour. There's a thread on here with all the barrel manufacturers that produce Grendel barrels. You should be able to find it if you do a search.
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin
Reply
#5
Wow! Just finished the 15 pages for the group buy, only to find out I'm too late. <sigh>

Yes, I think I had decided on the 304 and was hoping beyond all hope that I would get to the end of the thread and find I could still jump in.
Reply
#6
You might. Lilja will certainly be building extra barrels while they build the group buy barrels so give them a call.
”You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt
Reply
#7
If you will be shooting from positions other than prone a lot, consider your height/build, length of pull, where you want the balance of the carbine/rifle, will kids be shooting it as well, etc.

I like lightweight barrels for hunting, made from quality steel that won't walk or string on you. Also look at what you expect from the Grendel for terminal performance. I think the 16" and 18" are pretty ideal myself in lighter weight profiles for stalking guns, but some Grendel owners also have 14.5", 12.5", and 10.5" SBR's that still have 225yds Point Blank Range with a 200yd zero.
Reply
#8
LRRPF52 Wrote:If you will be shooting from positions other than prone a lot, consider your height/build, length of pull, where you want the balance of the carbine/rifle, will kids be shooting it as well, etc.

I like lightweight barrels for hunting, made from quality steel that won't walk or string on you. Also look at what you expect from the Grendel for terminal performance. I think the 16" and 18" are pretty ideal myself in lighter weight profiles for stalking guns, but some Grendel owners also have 14.5", 12.5", and 10.5" SBR's that still have 225yds Point Blank Range with a 200yd zero.

Hey, I like my 28". It balances great! LOL Smile
”You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt
Reply
#9
I had thought I wanted 18-20" but after reading through that thread, I think the 16" would be good. Those barrels were 16.88", so a little longer, which is fine.
Reply
#10
A Shilen 6.5 Grendel 20" barrel and bolt I back ordered several months ago, shipped yesterday from Midway. Get something back ordered from several different places, sooner or later they will show up. Even if you don't want it, someone here will. I'm hoping the Satern barrel I ordered about 6 months ago is also coming soon. While I was waiting I picked up an LBC bolt and Blackhole Weaponry Barrel. The .264 LBC bolt is really, really nice (and available on a regular basis) and measures exactly the same as a Grendel bolt.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)