XcountryRider
Unregistered
I was playing with a online ballistic calculator and noticed something interesting. Comparing the 6.8SPC to the Grendel a 16in Grendel actually has more hunting range than a 18in 6.8SPC. Using a factory 123gr SST from a 16in Grendel with a MV of 2420fps as an example to measure a hunter has a 400 yard range before the round drops below 1800fps. A 18in 6.8SPC shooting a factory 120gr SST with a MV of 2500fps has an effective hunting range of just 350 yards. Not to start a crap storm just an interesting observation. Another observation was with both as 18in the Grendel actually catches the 6.8SPC right at the 100 yard line and has an effective hunting range of 425 yards. Now time to take cover. Even if you give the 6,8SPC a 110gr Accubond loaded for 6.8SPC with a 18in barrel and a MV of 2590fps it still only has a effective hunting range of 360 yards.
After a bunch of research, this is exactly the reason I went Grendel instead of SPC. The Grendel simply gives more.
Posts: 304
Threads: 19
Joined: Aug 2013
Schwag173 Wrote:After a bunch of research, this is exactly the reason I went Grendel instead of SPC. The Grendel simply gives more.
Same conclusion I came to... My local academy keeping Grendel on the shelves is the straw that sent the decision over though.
XcountryRider
Unregistered
A 6.8SPC in a 20in barrel shooting factory Hornady still can't equal the hunting range of just a 16in Grendel. The 20in barreled 6.8 SPC has juat a 370 yards with an assumed MV of 2540fps.
Posts: 252
Threads: 26
Joined: Sep 2012
Same for me - went w 6.5G after looking closely at both as hunting rounds, and from the advice of the guys on the Forum
Posts: 252
Threads: 28
Joined: Nov 2011
Y85 Wrote:Same for me - went w 6.5G after looking closely at both as hunting rounds, and from the advice of the guys on the Forum
x2
Ditto, did the same comparison and the SPC had a very slight advantage out to about 125yds after the it was all Grendel.
same again. I went through pretty much the same exercise a while back, which is why I now have a Grendel instead of a 6.8 SPC. Generally speaking, they can both push equal weight bullets to about the same speeds, but the 6.5 bullets are more aerodynamic and loose their speed / energy at a slower rate. I have never seen ammo for either on a shelf around here, and reload anyway, so ammo availability was a non-issue.
Posts: 1,143
Threads: 51
Joined: May 2012
XcountryRider Wrote:I was playing with a online ballistic calculator and noticed something interesting. Comparing the 6.8SPC to the Grendel a 16in Grendel actually has more hunting range than a 18in 6.8SPC. Using a factory 123gr SST from a 16in Grendel with a MV of 2420fps as an example to measure a hunter has a 400 yard range before the round drops below 1800fps. A 18in 6.8SPC shooting a factory 120gr SST with a MV of 2500fps has an effective hunting range of just 350 yards. Not to start a crap storm just an interesting observation. Another observation was with both as 18in the Grendel actually catches the 6.8SPC right at the 100 yard line and has an effective hunting range of 425 yards. Now time to take cover. Even if you give the 6,8SPC a 110gr Accubond loaded for 6.8SPC with a 18in barrel and a MV of 2590fps it still only has a effective hunting range of 360 yards.
![[Image: 1425330_10151956229219520_2038017835_o.jpg]](https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1425330_10151956229219520_2038017835_o.jpg)
Did you honestly think it stating a thread stating Grendel was better than 6.8 on 65grendel.com would cause a crap storm...jk
Punctuation is for the weak....
I did these same comparisons several years ago, 16" vs. 16" with as close of projectile weights/types as I could find. Now with the 123gr SST and 120gr SST, we have the same bullet construction, same basic bullet weight, same manufacturer, and the factory muzzle velocities are within 25fps of each other, if not the same.
A 14.5" Grendel actually compares well with an 18" 6.8 SPC. You'll often hear the retort that certain "combat" or "tactical" SPC II specific loads will produce significantly more muzzle velocity from a 16" 6.8 SPC II. When I look on SSA's website, I see the 110gr Sierra Pro Hunter at 2600fps, which is still a great hunting load for maybe 300yds. If I saw 2 identical 16" AR15 carbines in front of me, one in 5.56, and one in 6.8 SPC II, and someone said, "There's a deer right there at 200yds, you need to make the shot right now." I wouldn't hesitate in picking the 6.8 SPC II.
But there are more options than that. The 6.5 Grendel allows us to retain more energy with less wind drift than either the 5.56 or 6.8 SPC. That's why I chose the Grendel. I would own several 6.8's if it wasn't for the Grendel-I honestly was looking at both cartridges dating back to 2003.
Posts: 4,033
Threads: 106
Joined: Apr 2011
11-01-2013, 12:51 AM
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2013, 01:06 AM by stanc.)
mongoosesnipe Wrote:Did you honestly think it stating a thread stating Grendel was better than 6.8 on 65grendel.com would cause a crap storm...jk The OP really needs to re-post on 68forums...
Posts: 244
Threads: 20
Joined: Feb 2012
I have both the 6.8 and Grendel, if you are looking at pure energy the 6.8 had a slight short range advantage. But my 6.8 has nowhere near the accuracy of my Grendel. Just my observation.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
XcountryRider
Unregistered
stanc Wrote:The OP really needs to re-post on 68forums...
![[Image: 53_mrgreen2_BIG.png]](http://www.gimpchat.com/files/53_mrgreen2_BIG.png)
Is something wrong with my math? The numbers sort of tell the story. I didn't put an opinion twist or anything on it. Kind of like saying 5 is more than 3. I didn't say one was better than the other. It is curious though that a 16in Grendel has a longer hunting range than a 20in 6.8SPC.
It comes down to BC and bullet weight, although you really have to be a good rifleman when you start shooting medium game past 200yds.
XcountryRider
Unregistered
I think its an accurate statement to say bullets with higher sectional densities penetrate deeper at lower velocities. That means that they will or should perform better on the fringes of the higher end of the hunting range. Brings to mind the caribou and the antelope taken at 400 yards in the last couple weeks. The antelope was a through shot and the caribou had the bullet lodged at the hide at the far side. The Grendel then has a larger hunting range and is more effective at the upper edge of that range.
Posts: 629
Threads: 67
Joined: Apr 2013
XcountryRider Wrote:I think its an accurate statement to say bullets with higher sectional densities penetrate deeper at lower velocities. That means that they will or should perform better on the fringes of the higher end of the hunting range. Brings to mind the caribou and the antelope taken at 400 yards in the last couple weeks. The antelope was a through shot and the caribou had the bullet lodged at the hide at the far side. The Grendel then has a larger hunting range and is more effective at the upper edge of that range.
Ok, I think it's fair to state that the 6.5mm Grendel beats the 6.8 SPC, when used in extended-range hunting (high BC's combined with high SD's: our "dirty" little secret). But, what have we 6.5mm Enthusiasts got cookin' to match/beat their upcoming 270AR SPR? One thing is clear: it's time we start thinking Big Bolt-Barrel Extension.
XcountryRider
Unregistered
SHORT-N-SASSY Wrote:Ok, I think it's fair to state that the 6.5mm Grendel beats the 6.8 SPC, when used in extended-range hunting (high BC's combined with high SD's: our "dirty" little secret). But, what have we 6.5mm Enthusiasts got cookin' to match/beat their upcoming 270AR SPR? One thing is clear: it's time we start thinking Big Bolt-Barrel Extension.
Woohoo's got us on that one!! Its just wildcat though which requires cutting brass so no threat as of yet but it it gets popular then thats a different story. I don't think woohoo's wants full on competitor to his 6.8SPCII,
XcountryRider
Unregistered
Here's a shocker!! A 16in Grendel has a longer effective hunting range that a 22in barreled Remington 30AR shooting a 125gr Remington Accutip bullet which is of course a Hornady 125gr SST. I was surprised to see it only has a 370 yard effective hunting range. Run the numbers and check it out http://www.handloads.com/calc/. The 125gr accutip has a BC of .305 and a muzzle velocity of 2800fps.
XcountryRider
Unregistered
Effective hunting ranges of various AR calibers shooting Hornady SST/Accutip rounds. Remington Accutip and Hornady SST are the same bullets and are made by Hornady. Effective hunting range defined as the point the round drops below 1800FPS.
18in Grendel 123gr SST 420 yards
18in 6.8SPC 120gr SST 350 yards
18in 7.62X39 125gr SST 195 yards
16in 300BLK 125gr Accutip/SST 160 yards
22in 30AR 125gr Accutip/SST 370 yards
Posts: 629
Threads: 67
Joined: Apr 2013
XcountryRider Wrote:Woohoo's got us on that one!! Its just wildcat though which requires cutting brass so no threat as of yet but it it gets popular then thats a different story. I don't think woohoo's wants full on competitor to his 6.8SPCII,
Though the 270AR SPR is just a wildcat, at this stage, let's give Woohoo credit for seeing what's hot (6.5mm to 6.8mm), where Remington missed the mark (see my letter to Freedom Group, Inc. Chairman & CEO, George Kollitides --- scroll down the Page to Reply #49 http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?PHPSES...ic=1060.40).
In view of all the above, I submit that the Remington R-15 .30 RAR platform, an AR-10 disguised as an AR-15 (a wolf, in sheep's clothing), represents a viable platform for a full-blown 6.5mm competitor to the upcoming 270AR SPR.
|