Posts: 286
Threads: 50
Joined: Feb 2013
I was in the stand overlooking the cliff, and just before sunrise heard some splashing in the river below me. It was far too dark & thick covered to see them but I knew they were hogs as the racoons bolted out of sight at the sound of low grunts. These two boars crossed the river and headed towards the feeder about 120 yards north of me. If I wasn't using an illuminated Trijicon scope I wouldn't have been able to shoot them. With a little luck I managed to get both of them. 130lbs and 180lbs. Was using Hornady 123gr. SST's. With both shots I had complete bullet pass-through and approx. double bore diameter exit wounds. These SST's have, so far, performed very well. Kiddos to JP Enterprises for building a fine Grendel upper.
John 11:25-26
Awesome. Interesting that both were pass-throughs. What velocity are you getting with that load, and is it the factory Hornady 123gr SST box ammo? Should be somewhere around 2500fps from an 18" gun.
Impact velocity was probably 2300fps with 1440ft-lbs of energy. Did you mean that the Tritium reticle allowed you to see your reticle in the dark?
Posts: 286
Threads: 50
Joined: Feb 2013
Hey LRRPF52, I don't have a chronograph to test the velocity, but yes these are factory Hornady 123gr. SST box ammo. The smaller 130lb boar I hit high on the shoulder, right where their neck vertebrae dips down. That SST broke his spine and continued on through exiting the body.
And about the Trijicon, yes! If I had a non-illuminated reticle shot placement would have been guess work against those dark bodies. I'm really fond of these scopes now!
John 11:25-26
Posts: 86
Threads: 4
Joined: Jan 2013
Nicely done and thats a sweet looking rig. What brand is the muzzle brake?
Posts: 335
Threads: 17
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 286
Threads: 50
Joined: Feb 2013
The entire upper is JP Enterprises, so the brake is a JP small-frame compensator (Bennie Cooley). That sucker is LOUD, but I tell you with that comp, low mass bolt, and the silent capture buffer, it doesn't recoil a whole heck of a lot more than a 223.
John 11:25-26
Posts: 253
Threads: 15
Joined: Feb 2013
An awesome testimony to the SST and very good marksmanship, congrats!