Every year since 2009 I have done a thread on Ar15.com Titled Deer VS 223. I will not be doing that thread this year. Since the government shut down is keeping us from getting Management tags this year I will not be shooting the normal 14-40 Does I normally do. I will only have 5 Deer Tags and I am shooting all 5 with my new Grendel. So I will do this thread here. How does this site feel about graphic photos of wound channels and exit wounds? I try and do it very detailed with good Pics and use my Laser Rangefinder for every shot.
I have no aversions to detailed terminal performance analysis. What projectiles do you plan on using, and are you open to some group requests?
LRRPF52 Wrote:I have no aversions to detailed terminal performance analysis. What projectiles do you plan on using, and are you open to some group requests?
All I have are 123 gr bullets, the SST is what I plan on using. I have Scenars and Nosler OTM also. I might be open to using something else.
XcountryRider
Unregistered
I would like to see real world examples of Barnes 100gr TSX.
Posts: 4,444
Threads: 97
Joined: Mar 2011
This site feels that any game animals taken ethically are appropriate for discussion.
(And that if there aren't pictures, it didn't happen!)
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live. - John Galt
bwaites Wrote:This site feels that any game animals taken ethically are appropriate for discussion.
(And that if there aren't pictures, it didn't happen!)
If I get an Iscope before Season I will see if I can use it to get through scope video of each one.
I just want to be clear, this is not I have 5 tags I will try to fill. We have so many deer here that it is not hunting, it is Deer Plinking. Last year I killed 6 does in a matter of moments. I am going to be fairly selective this year since I will only have 5 animals to take, I am going to try and cull old Nannies. Normally I just shoot whatever is on the field with out horns.
Posts: 522
Threads: 155
Joined: May 2011
I would like to see one taken with the 123 amax, I have followed and read your posts on arfcom about using the .223 on deer, good posts
ChellieWiles
Unregistered
This was a 100grain ttsx recovered from a deer shot at about 115yards. she was facing me when I took the shot, (when shooting a deer head on, aim a little higher than the heart to compensate for bullet drop once it enters the animal to make sure you hit those arteries.) I found the bullet approx. 34 inches from where it entered the animal nestled in the lower intestines. I was using 30.0 grains of H322 that hits about 2950fps out of my 22" barrel. the wound channel after only .25 inches inside portrayed a full expansion almost on impact. I did not hit the heart but the deer did not take a single step. she was a doe at about 135-150lbs. and was so destroyed internally that bone chips from the breastplate were found deep into the chest cavity. I imagine bone fragments probably destroyed the arteries and this is what dropped the doe.
ChellieWiles
Unregistered
100ttsx exit hole from about 85 yards...dropped.
XcountryRider
Unregistered
ChellieWiles Wrote:![[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=1525]](http://www.65grendel.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1525)
This was a 100grain ttsx recovered from a deer shot at about 115yards. she was facing me when I took the shot, (when shooting a deer head on, aim a little higher than the heart to compensate for bullet drop once it enters the animal to make sure you hit those arteries.) I found the bullet approx. 34 inches from where it entered the animal nestled in the lower intestines. I was using 30.0 grains of H322 that hits about 2950fps out of my 22" barrel. the wound channel after only .25 inches inside portrayed a full expansion almost on impact. I did not hit the heart but the deer did not take a single step. she was a doe at about 135-150lbs. and was so destroyed internally that bone chips from the breastplate were found deep into the chest cavity. I imagine bone fragments probably destroyed the arteries and this is what dropped the doe.
Cool thanks i have 100 on order some H322 and some Xterm to load with.
Posts: 2,982
Threads: 194
Joined: Jun 2012
10-14-2013, 04:21 PM
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2013, 05:54 PM by cory.)
ChellieWiles Wrote:![[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=1525]](http://www.65grendel.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1525)
This was a 100grain ttsx recovered from a deer shot at about 115yards. she was facing me when I took the shot, (when shooting a deer head on, aim a little higher than the heart to compensate for bullet drop once it enters the animal to make sure you hit those arteries.) I found the bullet approx. 34 inches from where it entered the animal nestled in the lower intestines. I was using 30.0 grains of H322 that hits about 2950fps out of my 22" barrel. the wound channel after only .25 inches inside portrayed a full expansion almost on impact. I did not hit the heart but the deer did not take a single step. she was a doe at about 135-150lbs. and was so destroyed internally that bone chips from the breastplate were found deep into the chest cavity. I imagine bone fragments probably destroyed the arteries and this is what dropped the doe.
At 115 yards you aimed high? If anything should you not aim low as the bullet should still be rising out to ~200 yards?
Rephrase before someone hits me on technicalities, should it not be rising out to ~100 yards, and still impacting above your POA until ~200 yards.
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin
Posts: 1,143
Threads: 51
Joined: May 2012
MTNmyMAG Wrote:Every year since 2009 I have done a thread on Ar15.com Titled Deer VS 223. I will not be doing that thread this year. Since the government shut down is keeping us from getting Management tags this year I will not be shooting the normal 14-40 Does I normally do. I will only have 5 Deer Tags and I am shooting all 5 with my new Grendel. So I will do this thread here. How does this site feel about graphic photos of wound channels and exit wounds? I try and do it very detailed with good Pics and use my Laser Rangefinder for every shot.
By all means bring on the deer pics
Just out of curiosity where is this deer plinking going on
Punctuation is for the weak....
hill.brandonj
Unregistered
I must say. I was actually disappointed to some extent when I clicked on "grendel vs deer" and found no pictures. Bring it!
ChellieWiles
Unregistered
I was saying that once the projectile enters an animals body it is going to start a downward angle through the animal. I've noticed this a few times when shooting longways through deer. I am zeroed at 215yds which gives me about an 1.5-2" high shot at 100 yards. I was simply stating that the further through the animal a projectile has to travel to reach the intended vital, the more gravity is going to be affecting it, especially in smaller calibers. For the majority of shots, I go for the head if they're within 150-200 yards anyway; and, if you are going to take a head shot, make sure you will not hit the jaw or low on the face, always aim about eye height or a little above. I do not recommend head shots unless you are very proficient with your weapon and know your yardage very well also.
I've had good luck with the 120gr Wolf on deer out to 200yds or so. Also took a nice doe last year at 300yds with the 90gr TNT, but that was more just to see what the bullet would to. destroyed the chest cavity and blew blood out through the front shoulders. I prefer the 120 MPT's though. Easy on the meat, gets the job done easily with proper placement, decent expansion. Typical exits are quarter to half dollar sized. Taken hogs with each round as well.
That MPT load is cool because the jacket gets thicker as it nears the base, so you have an open-tip, lead core, tapered jacket dual-purpose bullet, for $15 a box.
Posts: 2,982
Threads: 194
Joined: Jun 2012
ChellieWiles Wrote:I was saying that once the projectile enters an animals body it is going to start a downward angle through the animal. I've noticed this a few times when shooting longways through deer. I am zeroed at 215yds which gives me about an 1.5-2" high shot at 100 yards. I was simply stating that the further through the animal a projectile has to travel to reach the intended vital, the more gravity is going to be affecting it, especially in smaller calibers. For the majority of shots, I go for the head if they're within 150-200 yards anyway; and, if you are going to take a head shot, make sure you will not hit the jaw or low on the face, always aim about eye height or a little above. I do not recommend head shots unless you are very proficient with your weapon and know your yardage very well also.
Ohh sorry, I just wanted to make sure one of my preconceived notions wasn't completely off. I'm tracking now.
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin
Rocks, I was trying to decide between by (much beloved) Weatherby .270 and my new, very accurate 6.5 Grendel custom build for stand hunting this year. You made my decision easy!!!
Aviatrix88 Wrote:Rocks, I was trying to decide between by (much beloved) Weatherby .270 and my new, very accurate 6.5 Grendel custom build for stand hunting this year. You made my decision easy!!!
You can actually practice with the Grendel and not get recoil fatigue. A good day at the range should have you confident in a 200-300yd vital zone shot after working through maybe 3 boxes of ammo with the Grendel.
Posts: 522
Threads: 155
Joined: May 2011
![[Image: 111920116ptII.jpg]](http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o68/krotty/hunting/111920116ptII.jpg)
this deer was taken at 140yds with a 100gr TTSX, neck shot, bang flop. Deer was paralyzed, but head was moving so I finished him off, here is the bullet i recovered on the far side in the dirt. ![[Image: 11192011barnesbulletrecovered.jpg]](http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o68/krotty/My%20work/11192011barnesbulletrecovered.jpg)
I will have to go look up the load data
Here is the "skinned" pic of the doe I took last year.
load was with a 105gr Interbond (one of sneakyones bullets) ![[Image: IMAG0005.jpg]](http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o68/krotty/hunting/IMAG0005.jpg) ![[Image: IMAG0003.jpg]](http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o68/krotty/hunting/IMAG0003.jpg)
was about 75 yds, bad hit on my part, just behind the diaphram, complete pass through, she expired after going about 50-75yds in the swamp.
|