We have all seen comments in various threads about spouses, sons, daughters, nieces and nephews using the Grendel for target shooting, plinking, and hunting.
Do any of us have any interesting stories and pictures where the Grendel, and possibly other rifles, are part of family outings? The outing does not need to be be strictly about hunting, but could involve range sessions or informal shooting.
Here is my excerpt from last week's WY antelope hunt....
First father/son DIY antelope hunt
I've always wanted to hunt antelope. So, did some research and I put in for the antelope draw for the 2012 year, but did not get drawn. 2013 comes around and my son is 11 but will be 12 by the time antelope season opens, so I put both of us in the draw. Draw results are up in mid June, which happens to be the last day of school for my son. He 'graduates' from grade school (6th grade) and will be entering Jr. High. I checked on that day and behold....we got drawn for 4 Doe/fawn antelope tags. I give him the good news after school and told him what he needs to do to prepare for his first big game hunt.
"Practice makes perfect" as the saying goes. We didn't have time to shoot a lot during the summer, but made our limited time out shooting/practicing count. Earlier in the year, I put together an AR15 in 6.5 Grendel for hunting in the dense national forests here. This will be a tool that both of us can use due to its adjustability/ease of use/manuverability and ballistic performance for game under 300yds. My son was born without a right hand due to Amniotic band syndrome and is right eye dominant but has to shoot left handed and use his left eye. He has shot bolt actions and has a hard time racking the bolt open/close and getting back on target quickly. This semi-auto AR will be perfect and allow him to make follow up shots easily. During our practice sessions, I set out 8" AR500 plates @ 200,250,300 & 350 yds. I would tell him to take one shot and make it count and then follow up with a shot or two as if he's actually out hunting. Lying prone, he has no problem hitting the steel targets, but when shooting off a BogPod tripod we received one week before the hunt, the hit ratio was about 60% and I knew it might be a problem.
I planned for us to be out hunting for 6 days ( 2 days travel and 4 days hunting) and planned to sleep/camp in the BLM land and return to town to re-stock on supplies if needed. I wanted to leave the last week of September. But looking at the weather forecast for the area we're going to be in, a few thunderstorms/snow was in the forecast. Not wanting to deal with inclement weather as I've heard that when it rains and the roads gets wet, you're not going anywhere till it dries up. So we made a last minute decision to leave Friday night around 10pm (Sept 20). We arrived in Wyoming around noon the next day and after buying a few needed items, we were off to the BLM in search for our first antelopes. Prior to the trip, I contacted the local game warden and a local and they both indicated that the antelope #s were down due to last winter's kill. I was a little hesitant coming so far out with a low chance of seeing game, but I said to myself, " You can't hunt and harvest game sitting at home".
We drove at least 20 miles of dirt road, stopping often to glass the surrounding hills/landscape and could not find any antelope at all. On those occasion where there was a little hill/knoll we would actually hike to the top and look/glass what was beyond it. No antelope were to be seen at all and my son's spirits was not looking too good. Our plan for the remainder of the day was to look for a suitable place that was somewhat sheltered from the wind to camp for the night. At 4:30 pm we spotted a group of antelope, a buck and 2 does feeding off about 800yds away. I scanned the terrain and there was no natural concealment for us to get closer without them spooking and taking off. We got our rifles and decided to see how close we could get to the group knowing that they will bust us any minute. Our plan was to get within distance and shoot the does simultaneouly at a count of three. We cut the distance in half to 400yds and the antelope were feeding towards a drainage with the lead doe staring at us. The sagebrush here were knee to waist high and with the wind howling at 25-35mph there was no way we can get a shot off. My son made the decision to stay put and let me inch in closer to see if I can get a shot. I crept forward another 50 yds and re-positioned myself behind a sagebrush. As I re-adjusted the BogPod and took my eyes off the group of antelope for about 3-4seconds, when I looked up again, they were gone.
I took the binos and scanned the last spot they were at and the surrounding area and could not locate them. There was a dried up creek/drainage close by and I thought maybe they may have slipped in there. I made the decision to check out the drainage and made short work of the 300+ yards in 10mins. Nothing was there in the drainage but I did find their tracks heading up over a hill to the other side. I hiked up the hill just to have a look and then came back to my son and we both hiked back to the truck.
We drove 2 miles down the road and I spotted a couple of white specks in the distance. I put up the binos and there they are -- a buck and 4 does. Distance here was about 3/4mile out and there was a ridge to the right and in front of the antelope. I asked my son if he wanted to hike to the ridge and see if we can get a shot. He declined and told me to go ahead and he will stay at this spot and watch the antelope.
I left him there and drove the truck another 600yds, parked it, got my pack and rifle and hoofed it up the ridge. 25 mins later I reached the top and slowly inch my way over to see where they're at. I spot them, ranged at 320yds and the good thing is they don't know I'm here. I attached the bipod, take out my rear shooting bag and got prone behind the rifle. Checked for wind and there is just a slight breeze, nothing to worry about at this distance. I turned up the elevation dial 1.9mils, chambered in a round and settled the cross hairs on the biggest doe. I waited a couple mins for her to turn and give me a broadside shot but she would not cooperate. Tired of waiting, I squeezed the trigger and sent a 130gr Berger Hunting VLD into her chest dead on. Recovering from the recoil, I see her through the scope and within 2 seconds she tipped over and expired.
I radioed my son and told him I got one. I left my pack at the shooting area, slung the rifle and head down to the truck so I can go pick up my son. I pick my son up and head back to where I parked the truck and then we hiked up the ridge to get my pack and then down to the downed doe antelope. We got to the antelope and 15mins later, the sun sets. The next 40 mins was spent deboneing by head-lamp. We get back to the truck around 8:45 pm, put the meat on ice and drove another 2 miles to set up camp. Cleaned up, had dinner and went to sleep around 10pm.
The next morning (Sunday), I woke up @ 6am but didn't really got up till 8am. Plan for the day was to get our gear in the truck and have a hot breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon & rice and then drive further up the trail. As soon as we put everything in the truck and set up the stove/pan to cook, the wind picked up and along with it came rain. So much for a hot breakfast. We waited for 30 mins and decided to eat leftover from last night. The rain let up and we were on the move.
The dirt roads were a bit slippery on some sections where the rain soaked but we never got stuck. We went up a few miles and I had a haunch about the group of antelope I had shot at the previous day. We decided to turn around and check out the areas close to where we had seen/shot the doe earlier. I told my son to keep an eye out for any white specks on the landscape/hillside as the antelope stick out like a sore thumb with the sage green background.
We rounded a curve and not 350 yds away was a group of antelope. One buck, 2 does and 2 yearlings bedded or milling around feeding. Wind was blowing @ 20mph and in our face slightly from left to right. We scanned the landscape and there was a drainage down hill and parallel to the antelope. Our plan was to use the drainage to conceal ourselves and get closer for a shot. We drove back down to the drainage, grabbed our packs and rifles and headed towards the herd. Every couple mins or so I would pop my head out just to make sure the antelope was still there. 20 mins later we reached our FFP with a thick patch of sagebrush to conceal our location. The wind was blowing straight into our face and we were only 200yds from them. As we lay there and set up, the herd got up and moved a few yards and not before long all were over the hill except one which was still skyline. We waited what seemed like eternity and the decision was made that if all the antelope moved over the hill, I would make a mad dash up the hill and try to see if I can get a glimpse of them and maybe get a shot off.
A min or two after we said that, the herd begin appearing and were coming back towards us. I told my son to pick one and follow it with his rifle as we were going to both shoot simultaneously. Rounds chambered, him resting on a bogpod and me prone, we picked our targets and on the count of 3, we were both going to shoot. I asked him if he was stable and ready a couple of times and he answered yes. So after the final check, I counted "one...two...three"...BOOM! I see my intended target drop instantly but I didn't hear his AR15 go off. I reloaded a round and asked him what the hang up was. Then I hear his gun go off.... BOOM,BOOM,BOOM!!. I looked and two more antelopes are down. We high five and then get up and head towards the downed antelope.
to be cont...
All three expired within a 30 yd radius. I told him the easy part is done and over with, and now the hard part begins. We take a few pics and start dressing/de-boneing the two smaller antelopes. When we were about 90% done with the two smaller antelopes, the wind picked up and we got rained on. Soaking wet, we made the hike to the truck and put the meat in the cooler and headed back out for the doe I shot. The last doe was taken care of and by the time we got back to the truck it was 2:30pm.
We headed back into town to eat luch, gas up and buy a couple bags of ice for the meat. We were on the interstate @ 6pm Sunday evening and made it back home Monday morning @ 5:30am. Showered, took a few hours nap and got up @ 10am to butcher/season the meat. Tuesday, I drove to my mother's two hours away to smoke the meat.
Some final thoughts....
Antelope meat is very good
You can see/spot antelope from afar
Antelope hair gets everywhere when you skin them, but the good thing is they wash off easily, unlike deer/elk/bear hair
I need to get a better range finder
I need to build a lighter weight rifle ~ about 10lbs even would be perfect
I asked my son if he wants to hunt antelope again and his response was "HELL YEAH!!"
Rifle specs:
AR15 16" 6.5 Grendel Alex Arms upper, Leupold 2-7x33 VX-1 with CDS moa retrofit elevation dial, 80% machined lower, 100gr Nosler Ballistic tips @ 2650fps
Trued Rem 700, M24 Rock Creek barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor, Rock Solid stock, SWFA 3-15x42 MIL scope. 15 1/2 lbs all up. 130gr Berger Hunting VLDs @ 2735fps.
Awesome story jmsdad! Just read through the whole thing. Yes, your rifle is a beast for hunting.
Posts: 430
Threads: 19
Joined: Nov 2012
Awesome. Great story. I am so happy for the two of you.
XcountryRider
Unregistered
I have fun shooting with my son with our home built Grendel's. This weekend starts our hunt can't wait!!
Pic of my son building his deer and pig rifle.
My Daughter taking the range safety test.
My son at a Hog butchering class.
My son getting used to his hunting stick.
[video=youtube;VysP2ICIiPw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VysP2ICIiPw[/video]
XcountryRider
Unregistered
Riding and shooting with my son.
[video=youtube;geIEZkLli8Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geIEZkLli8Q[/video]
San Diego hog hunting with my son.
Son at the reloading bench.
Son cooking us dinner on one of the motorcycle boxes out motorcycle camping and hog hunting.
jmsdad Wrote:Some final thoughts....
Antelope meat is very good
You can see/spot antelope from afar
Antelope hair gets everywhere when you skin them, but the good thing is they wash off easily, unlike deer/elk/bear hair
I need to get a better range finder
I need to build a lighter weight rifle ~ about 10lbs even would be perfect
I asked my son if he wants to hunt antelope again and his response was "HELL YEAH!!"
Good story jmsdad! Growing up here in WY, I have only shot two anti-goats in my life. Just never really cared for those things. I have always said that if you know someone that is considering getting into hunting, that antelope are a great introduction....especially here in WY. It is a pretty easy and generally successful hunt.
Posts: 286
Threads: 50
Joined: Feb 2013
Dad and I hunt with Grendels almost exclusively, but sometimes we take our hog hunting a little too far. Did I just make things weird in here?
John 11:25-26
One of my 14 yr old triplet boys and I went to a long range shoot at Spearpoint Ranch on 9-14. I am still working up a load with XBR and 123 A-Max so I took factory ammo. I had only shot this rifle out to 200 and my son out to 100, so we were both kind of anxious when we found out the closest targets were 417 and it included a mover. I have an AA entry upper with a JP adjustable ss and a Bushnell Elite Tactical Mil-Dot 5-15 in a Burris PEPR. I was planning on using Strelok and hold over as I had not tried dialing in range with it. We got lucky and had Adam W ride with us to the different stations and he talked me into using the target turrets. Adam just got out of the Army in january and was a sniper spotter. At the first station we had one shot at a 8" plate and up to four at a mover at 417 yds. It was intimidating seeing the equipment that these guys had. A lot of the glass on the rifles there cost more than my whole setup.
Long story short, it was very laid back and everyone was extremely helpful. Nathan shot better than his score shows. His misses were by inches, definately boosted his confidence. He took 23rd out of 26 and I took 5th. The Grendel showed it's stuff for sure. Nathan and I shot to 1000 yds, the targets went to 1400. He made a hit at 900 and I did really good to 800. Now I want a 20 MOA mount so I can dial in 1000. I was only good to 600, used mils to 1000, but was almost off the scope.
Not too bad for a low end barrel that was bought for a deer rifle. One of my other boys shot his first deer 2 years ago with the A-Max at 90 yards. High lung shot and down with in 10 yards. 250 lb old buck, can't wait to see what the SST will do. You can go to http://www.spearpointranch.com and see the results of the matches. There is a picture of Nathan on the KSCCW forum under the competitive shooting tab. He is using a 14" inner-tube and a piece of plywood on a stock-tank to shoot at a 12" plate at 550.
second strike
Unregistered
jmsdad,,quit your day job,start writing books..
Posts: 3,087
Threads: 74
Joined: Mar 2011
Nice shooting k280. I have the same upper as you. Bought for hunting, and load development at the range -to 300yds.That is true max. in most N. MN woods. Just found a section or 2 long range spots-out to 750yds. I don't think that the shooter is up to that=me. But the possibility is there.
jmsdad, nicely done dude..
Xcountry- awesome post.You & yours have no idea of how nice a place you live-shoot in.
Posts: 522
Threads: 155
Joined: May 2011
10-10-2013, 11:09 PM
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2013, 11:15 PM by toolsofthetrade.)
Took my daughter out for her 1st time hunting whitetail a couple of years ago now, she really wanted to go, I told her she had to learn responsible firearm handeling (she took hunter safety) and prove she could hit what she aimed at.
Took her out with my newly built Grendel.
set up soda cans at 50 100 and 200yds, she goofed on the 50yrd one, then hit both the 100 and 200yd cans in one shot each.
So off we went for the youth hunt,
( can you tell she doesn't like her picture taken?)
set up in a blind watching a field about 100yds across.
eventually some deer came out with a nice big doe in the lead, she wanted to whack that one right away, but it kept looking back in the woods behind her, so i told her to wait and see what else was coming, well another big dark doe came out and then promptly went back in to the wood lot, out of site, so the next biggest one was coming closer so i gave her the green light, she shot and ended up having the deer run straight at us then past us, but when we went out and looked there was no blood or hair, clean miss.
Walking back to the camp we rounded a corner in a two track and a big skunk was coming right at us..."can i shoot it dad?" sure why not... : )
well the 100gr TTSx about took its head right off, one clean shot, she thought she was going to leave it lay...oh no, take care of it....
man these stink!
nice weekend with the kid, hopefully I can get her on a deer with me sometime.
XcountryRider
Unregistered
A couple more pics from the field.
XcountryRider
Unregistered
My sons first Coyote from our last trip.
[video=youtube;U6UuIJGJLS0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6UuIJGJLS0[/video]
[video=youtube;vS2SQyJ_i74]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS2SQyJ_i74[/video]
The family that slays together, stays together. Great stories, pics, and video everyone!
Keep posting these excellent stories!
BTW, Larry Potterfield (MidwayUSA) just sent out a pile of stories with a nice personal touch. Several of them feature members of his family:
Larry's Short Stories
XcountryRider
Unregistered
My son and i have been in pursuit of San Diego pigs for a few months. One of the local tribes released them in 2006 and they are now and huntable populations. We found an area with a population a few months back and hunted it staying overnight several times until the wife put the brakes on our obsession. The summer heat also had a vote so we cooled off for a couple months. I had the day off today so we headed out this morning. Dakota is home Schooled and his mom gave him the day off to hunt. Right off the bat Dakota walked into a mom and a bunch of suckling pigs in the brush. They immediately scattered in all directions. He didn't want to shoot one of the little footballs. One ran right up to him and froze and looked at him at about 10ft away. He said it was the size of a rabbit. We walked around the area which had lots of sign everywhere, Obviously the pigs were hanging out in that spot. After a hour or so we headed down the dirt road and stopped at our normal camping spot and headed down a dirt road on foot. We camp up on a group of 4 or 5 small pigs about a 1/3 hour into the walk. They were smaller than I'd like but to big not to shoot. I nabbed a small pig but boy were we excited about it!! Finally a San Diego Pig!! I used my 18in Grendel with 100gr Nosler hand loads.
[video=youtube;_jLSnG3b4X4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jLSnG3b4X4&feature=youtu.be[/video]
|