Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Fall is in the air....what are U and your 6.5G hunting this year?
#21
60 days till whitetail- wolf season opens here for the N.- MN. section of the st.
Would like to go yote hunting in S. -MN, yet guys are w. fowl hunting. Not a duck taster fan.
Reply
#22
Bigfoot Wrote:XcountryRider lives in Pine Valley, he lives in beautiful scenery. Plus the Laguna Mts minutes away, San Diego beaches a half hour away (talk about wildlife scenery) and the desert including Glamis Dunes. Dang I miss that area sometimes, left in 82.

We have similar geography here in Oregon but the girls at the beach wear sweatpants and jackets most of the year.

Yep really blessed. My place over looks the meadow. I have the mountains at my door step and year around motorcycling and camping.
Reply
#23
big ole ranked-out Texas swine!

and whitetail of course =)
John 11:25-26
Reply
#24
I will shoot whatever is in my sights- Game-Bad guys ? or a critter of Unknown origin.,., and or an evil intrusion by an idiot of human DNA. , if the threat occurs. I will exit the woods at the very least- in a survivable situation.
Venison is tasty, if marinated. I have a pkg. of moose stks. here from the sis-in-law to cook up soon,. they sent it to me as a teaser to hunt in Canada- just above Lake of Woods.

Bfoot- get the x-ray vision glasses-they used to sell them back in the day dude!
Reply
#25
x-country== nice place to -hunt -live. Awesome scenerery.
Reply
#26
Washington State whitetails on 12 October with 120gr Sierras.
Reply
#27
Not hunting with my Grendel this year....cannot get any ammo that is of hunting quality only have A-Maxes and they do not perform on deer adequately for me to feel safe to use it....lost my first rifle shot deer to my Grendel last year and I actually haven't shot it since....except on paper last April.
Reply
#28
Outsider, if you think that 120gr Nosler B Tips are enough bullet for dear Precision Firearms has ammo in stock. It took mine about 2 weeks to come in.
Reply
#29
Thanks for the info....a Nosler Bt is a little more well constructed than an A-Max
Reply
#30
The Grendel will be hunting Whitetails for nine days come Nov. 23 with a 129 SST pushed by 25.9g of XBR 8208. I'm also trying to line up some coyote hunting before that.

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...8208/page2

And, bow hunting just opened up, going out this weekend.
Reply
#31
Grendel bolt - elk in CO in November; whitetail, axis deer, and black buck antelope in Texas in Dec/Jan. Nosler 125 Partition.

Grendel ultra light - whitetail, axis, and black buck as well. Barnes 100 TTSX.
LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!
Reply
#32
[Image: 338-sniper-swinger-anomated-icon_1.gif]

Not very tender, but great shelf-life.
Reply
#33
Range report (3 days over the past 2 weeks): 120gr Sierra Pro-Hunter (soft point flat base), 26.0gr AA2200, 2.240" COL, muzzle velocity 2450fps out of an 18" barrel. Through a 7x scope, average group size was 2" at 200 yards though I have a photo of a 1" group. Today was a gusty wind day so my groups opened up to 3" at 200 yards. Now it's time to get my gear ready.
Reply
#34
what's the consensus on 6.5G for elk?
Reply
#35
burnsome Wrote:what's the consensus on 6.5G for elk?

The waters fine jump on in.
Hey I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though some times I wonder.

Grendellizing predators as of the fall of 2012.

Small bullets that go really fast, make me giggle........... Big Grin
Reply
#36
burnsome Wrote:what's the consensus on 6.5G for elk?

If I was out deer hunting, had an elk tag and an elk offered me an easy shot under good conditions; I wouldn't hesitate. While I love the Grendel, it is not the cartridge I would choose to GO elk-hunting.
Reply
#37
Consensus is something like "hunting elk with a Grendel is like hunting deer with a .243."
Reply
#38
hm2 clark Wrote:Consensus is something like "hunting elk with a Grendel is like hunting deer with a .243."

I know lots of people who hunt deer with a .243
LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!
Reply
#39
IMHO the Grendel would make a fine elk rifle inside 300 yards using 120-130 grain pills. I think the 100 grain range of bullet wouldn't be a great choice.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply
#40
Put it this way, when I hunt deer and I have for 33 years (minus deployments) I use a 243, not because it punches my shoulder, and hits the deer so hard they spin jon woo style, I use it because It takes skill and I know the cartridge so well that I have never had one get away. Now that I have the Gren, I know I can hit them, and have them drop right there and If I meet a 300lb Boar face to face, I'll stack his ass up like cord wood too. So yes, if you have a Grendel if you are comfortable and skillful with your tools (Which I hope to god you are if your going after Elk) Then by all means, do it.

I, on the other hand am going to spend my entire hunting budget for 2 years so that I can hunt one down next year, hopefully. I will be carrying a 30-06 because I'm getting to old and broken to sneak around on my belly to get close enough to do it justice and I dont want to have to chase it if I do get a bad hit. If I was able to hunt elk every year, I'd take a Gren. but $4000 to hunt an elk, I'm taking a bigger hammer.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)