Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
123 AMAX on Florida Hogs
#1
Both were shot from about 50 yards. AMAX dropped both quickly.
Reply
#2
It looks like that 14.5 inch barrel is working out for you. My new reciept for wild hog is. (1) Cut up into pieces that will fit in crock pot (2) Put in crock pot with orange soda and cook at least 12 hrs. The long low heat softens the meat and the orange soda puts a sweet and tangy flavor in. Those look just about perfect sized for eating.
Reply
#3
Yeah, the 14.5 is a sweet shooter. I popped a couple turkeys in March. I've had this gun in the safe for years (I know, bad move) and just started to hunt with it. I always like to cook the hams over an open pit while squeezing fresh swamp oranges over it every 30 minutes or so. I'm gonna wrap the back straps in center cut bacon and grill, yummmmmmmmmmm
Reply
#4
What might be the best meal I had in my entire life was a piece of wild boar with fresh cranberry sauce and freshly made french fries. I talked to the Chef that made it like six months later and he had absolutely no idea what I was talking about when I asked him about the sauce. Apparently he just improvised it.

Moral of the story is...maybe a little tart with the sweet might work as well for you with your experimenting with different ways of cooking them.

Oh, and if you get some wild pork that is exceedingly tough you might try solar cooking in addition to your more traditional forms of braising and roasting. It softens stuff up and self moisturizes like nothing else.
Reply
#5
123gr Amax can sometimes fail to penetrate sufficiently at close range due to relatively high velocity impact (hence, the intro of the 123gr SST), but the Amax appears to be quite effective from your 14.5" barrel at a lower speed. Nicely done.
Drifter
Reply
#6
Nice shoot right in the shoulder but where did you hit the one on the left. I see blood in the mouth but no hit spot.. Anyhow nice meal for some buddies to come help you enjoy over the pit... Bacon Wraps and football are great too..
Reply
#7
I generally bring beer.
Reply
#8
Amax kills just great for me and i believe the ballistic coefficient is higher than the SST i believe. Amax has never failed me yet. I love that bullet.
Reply
#9
I'll be testing both A-max and SST's on White Tails here in VA this year. I have a few close range spots and a few long range areas to use my Grendels. New fun this season and I plan to keep the meat processing lady buzzzy this year.
Reply
#10
I think the AMAX's shoot good and kill good. They're highly accurate and have helped many hogs find their way into my crock pot. And if they're dropping pigs they should be fine for whitetail, speedgoats, and coyotes.
Reply
#11
Tedward,

I shot the sow right above the right eye. You can see a white spot. She was facing me and turned her head to the left giving me a good shot. I had a steady rest on her; however, the smaller one was in the field as I was walkibg in to the stand. Shot him while standing.
Reply
#12
hm2 clark Wrote:I generally bring beer.

He can ride with me.
Reply
#13
smith Wrote:Tedward,

I shot the sow right above the right eye. You can see a white spot. She was facing me and turned her head to the left giving me a good shot. I had a steady rest on her; however, the smaller one was in the field as I was walkibg in to the stand. Shot him while standing.

See it now, good shot. I talked to a friend who said no head shots on Hogs as there skull is 2" thick. I guess and eye shot removes the skull issue.
Reply
#14
Nice photo and perfect size for eating!

I shot 2 last year. Both head shots with a 308 WIN 168 Speer BTHP. They dropped immediately. Had no issues.
Reply
#15
IMO head shots on hogs are difficult to make. The head is usually down and rooting. Dark head in the grass, dark ground and dark cross hairs;not my favorete shot. I like neck shot on hogs. Its just as deadly and if you'r a little forward its a head shot and if you'r a little back its a chest shot. That said, I once mad a head shot at about 15 inches. DRT and I still have both my (ah) legs attached.
Reply
#16
I have yet to get speared by a boar but I have speared one of them, Got drunk once and went hog spearing native style on a bet....I guess Wild Turkey will do it.. It takes a lot to kill one with a spear....I speared it and tracked it down and dragged it to camp....I showed up to camp dragging a dead hog in one hand, no shirt on (used it to make the rope to drag the hog) and was covered in blood holding a spear....The guys at hunting camp were laughing their butts off. They still talk about it.... I had just finished SERE a few weeks earlier so I felt adventurous.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)