2ndAmendment
Unregistered
Well I'm down to my last decision on my build...the trigger. I've been leaning towards the Geissele two stage enhanced but have used the Rock River one in the past with good results. Can anyone convince me that the extra $100 is worth it?
Let's hear it! I'm open to any other affordable suggestions.
Marty
I have a Geissele SSA-E in my .223. I am seriously thinking about replacing the RRA two stage in my Grendel with another SSA-E.
Posts: 1,827
Threads: 111
Joined: Jun 2011
I have two SSA's, and an SSA-E.
I'd recommend SSA-E for hunting; SSA for home defense
LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!
Do whatever you want, but mine gets a set of JP red & yellow springs + some proper fire control group polish & lube then the edition of a 1/4"x28 x 1/4" hex set screw up through the grip screw holes set up just right @ about 4#, no creep, very little travel, and ~100% reliable function. I'm sure it's not as good as a Giesle, but at <$30 shipped, I'd say its less spendy for certain.
2A,
The trigger is the link between your brain and the gun, I wouldn't skimp there. I've used the RRA 2 stage, it is a good trigger and can be tuned to be a better trigger. I took a class from John Holliger on how to tune them at the NRA School of Gunsmithing in Trinidad Colorado. The RRA is good enough to win major competitions but will degrade over time and eventually loose weight and then begin doubling. The Geissele is one thing I've never seen anyone regret spending the money on.
Bob
Get the Geissele SSA-E, and do the set screw mod with the pistol grip hole, you will be amazed.
I also added the Magpul / Noveske Short Throw Safety 60*, and it took even more take up out of it (there is still plenty left - I just ran the set screw up to where the trigger bar touches the safety barrel, but did not relieve the top of the trigger bar)
It feels very near to my Kimber with the C&S Tactical II trigger group.
2ndAmendment
Unregistered
Thanks for all of your responses. I definitely agree that a trigger is the last place to get cheap. My buddy has the SSA-E and just dry firing it makes me smile. But with finances being an issue now I'm exploring all options. I've heard of the hex screw procedure in the past. Do any of you know of a good link that would walk me through the process?
Thanks,
Marty
The RRA NM is a crap shoot. I have one that’s very good and another that’s only fair even after a Bill Springfield tune up. Bill made some improvement but it’s still only mediocre. I haven’t experienced it yet but apparently the RRA will eventually lose its 1st stage after heavy use.
In the long run you won’t regret dropping the coin on a Geissele. Save your lunch money and experience delayed gratification
I have used quite a few of the different triggers out there, to include the RRA 2-stage, Geissele SSA & SSA-E, JP Single-Stage Fire control group, Timney, Jard, and that other one with the large disc with teeth inside where you can set the pull weight.
I like the Geissele's the best so far. LR1955 gave me a RRA 2-stage that feels like it was tuned, and is really nice, although I have experienced reliability issues with other RRA's on several guns in the past, to include .308 AR's.
2ndAmendment Wrote:Thanks for all of your responses. I definitely agree that a trigger is the last place to get cheap. My buddy has the SSA-E and just dry firing it makes me smile. But with finances being an issue now I'm exploring all options. I've heard of the hex screw procedure in the past. Do any of you know of a good link that would walk me through the process?
Thanks,
Marty
Here you are Marty
http://www.junkyardgenius.com/firearms/ar-15/ar08.html
But the set screw is 1/4 x 28 and just pick up a 1/4 x 28 x 3/4" hex head screw for the pistol grip, My 2 Spikes, My Noveske, and my Mega were already threaded all the way through.
2ndAmendment
Unregistered
Rick,
Thanks for the link and advice. Will be heading to the hardware store today.
Marty
2ndAmendment
Unregistered
Thanks to all for your advice! Considering your vast knowledge and experience and a little help from my good friend Sierra Nevada I ordered a Geissele SSA-E last night. I just need another faux doomsday excuse to convince my wife that this is a necessity!
Cheers!
Marty
2ndAmendment
Unregistered
Okay...read up on this trigger mod and seems pretty straight forward. I have no problem removing material from a cheap factory trigger bar but I would have an issue with doing it to the Geissele. Will this mod be possible without modifying the trigger bar?
Marty
I did NOT reveive anything from the top of the trigger bar, i just eased the set screw up to where the top of the trigger bar lightly touched the safety barrel, then backed off 1/8 turn.
2ndAmendment
Unregistered
rick458 Wrote:I did NOT reveive anything from the top of the trigger bar, i just eased the set screw up to where the top of the trigger bar lightly touched the safety barrel, then backed off 1/8 turn.
That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks!
Marty
Has anybody here tried the Geissele SD-E the Enhanced with the flat trigger face?
I might put that in my Mega lower for my Grendel build, with a BAD CASS 45* safety
and the grip screw mod
I went with the Geissele National Match DMR. Gret trigger
rick458 Wrote:Get the Geissele SSA-E, and do the set screw mod with the pistol grip hole, you will be amazed.
I also added the Magpul / Noveske Short Throw Safety 60*, and it took even more take up out of it (there is still plenty left - I just ran the set screw up to where the trigger bar touches the safety barrel, but did not relieve the top of the trigger bar)
It feels very near to my Kimber with the C&S Tactical II trigger group.
Bike Effects
Unregistered
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Timney drop in trigger. I have one and I has been outstanding.
I have a Timney, and a Jewell. I guess it depends on what you want but you won't get a better/lighter trigger then the Jewell for long range shooting.
And I run the Timney on my "plinker/home defense" and love it too.
Posts: 590
Threads: 52
Joined: Mar 2013
LRRPF52 Wrote:I have used quite a few of the different triggers out there, to include the RRA 2-stage, Geissele SSA & SSA-E, JP Single-Stage Fire control group, Timney, Jard, and that other one with the large disc with teeth inside where you can set the pull weight.
I like the Geissele's the best so far. LR1955 gave me a RRA 2-stage that feels like it was tuned, and is really nice, although I have experienced reliability issues with other RRA's on several guns in the past, to include .308 AR's.
I believe the other trigger you were thinking of is the Jewell
|