Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
My Grendel is complete (for now)
#1
I started this build (my first Sport Utility Rifle) in September. With a bit of luck acquiring a barrel and some help form the Horde, I was able to put a few rounds through it in December, but didn't want to post pics until I could make a cosmetic tweak or two. My budget was a little tight, so it may not be the best looking stick here, but I did invest in a quality barrel and trigger. Based on what I have seen so far, it is going to be, at least, a very good shooter. Here are the particulars:

Lower
  • Spikes Tactical Stripped Lower
  • PSA LPK with MOE pistol grip
  • DPMS A2 stock and buffer assembly
  • Geissele SSA Trigger (a recent upgrade that I have not yet gotten to the range)

Upper
  • LAR Grizzly OPS-4 side charging upper (incl. Young BCG)
  • 20" Shilen match barrel (1 in 9 twist)
  • Syrac Ordinance adjustable gas block
  • JP Enterprises VTAC handguard, rifle length
  • Versa-Pod bipod with custom adapter

Optics
  • Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44 - I really want a PST 6-24x50 FFP, but for now this will have to do
  • Burris Signature Zee rings
  • I have not yet settled on BUIS, JP Enterprises has an interesting one-piece sight, but I am still looking. I welcome any suggestions.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3233[/ATTACH]

I was not happy with the adapter options Versa-Pod had for my handguard, so I designed my own and had a friend fab it for me. This was the hold up for posting pics, but I think it was worth the wait.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3234[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3235[/ATTACH]

I know the Horde 'requires' range reports. I don't have much yet, but here is what I have. At this point, all I have run through it has been factory 123g A-Max. The first target shows the 2nd, 3rd & 4th shots through the barrel at 100 yds. The first shot got me on paper from 40 yds. Keep in mind that this was with the factory trigger and I have only been shooting for a couple of years.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3238[/ATTACH]

This target was from about a month later, still with the factory trigger.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3239[/ATTACH]

I am very anxious to see how/if my groups tighten up with the SSA. I will post more when the weather gets a bit better and I can start working up loads.

Thanks to everyone here for your hospitality and support.
Reply
#2
Looking good, nice groups. I also have a 20" Shilen barrel I got from Midway last year. The rifle shoots better than I do, I put a Vortex Viper 6.5 X 20 X 50 on mine and so far I really like my setup. This 6.5 Grendel cartridge is addicting.
Reply
#3
That is one of the better looking rifles I have seen. You did a great job and it can also shoot. Thank's for sharing and Let us know how your Geissele trigger works out. Hopefully we can start getting our back orders of bullet's , primer;s. powder , and cases so we can get these rifles into shape.
Reply
#4
very nice stick cbe. good looking groups too!
Reply
#5
Very nice set-up and it shoots! Range reports being "required" is bit overstated but they are appreciated. Congrats on your build and thanks for sharing.
Reply
#6
Thanks to all.
Reply
#7
Nice job cbe, rifle looks fine.-I still owe you a coldie for the grease !
Reply
#8
Thanks. I'll let you know next time I am in Minn.

Do you have favorite BUIS I should consider?
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)