Posts: 132
Threads: 16
Joined: Jun 2011
new to the forum as well as the 6.5 G world and have a question or two for you guys who have possibly "been there and done that". I'm building up a SBR and am wondering how the Model 1 Sales 6.5 Sporter barrels are for a range blaster and short range (200 yards max) deer/hog/coyote hunting.
this is the barrel i'm looking at:
http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fus...ory_id=378 and cutting it down to 12-inches for use with a 308 cal suppressor on a full auto lower. Will be using an Aimpoint red-dot or a 4x scope for optics. If i can achieve 2-inch groups at 100 yards i'd be satisfied. if the project results are successful, will probably do another upper build with an 18-inch barrel of better quality.
my second question is ammo related.... is this Wolf 120gr MPT ammo decent for the above mentioned purposes?
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?i...ch=grendel
TIA for any inputs.
Yeah....what he said. Plus model1sales has horrible customer service if something went wrong.
Posts: 667
Threads: 19
Joined: Mar 2011
06-25-2011, 12:00 PM
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2011, 12:04 PM by rasp65.)
I realize you plan on cutting the barrel down and it is probably a good thing because I have never heard of 1/2 36 thread muzzle devices. The Wolf MPT was the least accurate ammo I have shot in my Grendel. I was getting 3" groups. OK for blasting, I wanted the cases for hunting.
Wolf 120 MPT hovers just over 1 MOA in my rifle (18" Stainless AA button rifled barrel). IMHO I'd buy an AA 16" barrel and cut it down for $25 more before the model 1 barrel.
That said, within 200yd I think you could easily pull off what you're wanting. Worst case scenario is that for hunting you buy AA or Hornady ammo, and for blasting you use MPT.
Posts: 132
Threads: 16
Joined: Jun 2011
roger that sirs. thanks for the tips and will check out AA and Templars offerings. might pick up a case of the Wolf MPT's for breaking in the barrel and checking function on full auto, etc.
1/2 36 thread muzzle is for 9mm and stuff like that, they do it intentionally so a small bore device does not get installed and hurt someone when they try to put a larger bullet through it.
burnsome, you will really appreciate that 16" suppressed bbl.
Almost no noise at all, except a sonic crack and hearing the action move.
Plus not having to fork out another $200 and getting scrutinized again for a SBR is worth it.
Templar is the only one making the suppressed bbl for the AR15.
It is based on a match grade bbl to start with.
It takes a lot of work and is not cheap but is really a great value.
Plus it works with the Templar rail system so it looks great.
Posts: 1,827
Threads: 111
Joined: Jun 2011
I don't see any product info on the Templar website...I'm using I.E. 8...besides the usual dump microsoft, do I need another browser?
Posts: 132
Threads: 16
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 132
Threads: 16
Joined: Jun 2011
what kind of MV's are you getting out of that 12.5-inch barrel?
my 12.5 is in build now and should have it up and running in a couple of weeks hopefully. have two brands/types of ammo to test and will provide MV data when i get it back in-service. will be running a Gemtec HVT 308 suppressor on mine.
I just ordered some of the Wolf 120gn multi-purpose round. I also have some of the Hornady 123gn A-Max, plus some various handloads. Once the Wolf arrives I'll chrono the various loads through both my 18" and my 12.5" Grendels.
Posts: 132
Threads: 16
Joined: Jun 2011
got my 12.5-inch build back today and got out to burnsome....wolf 120gr MPTs had a muzzle vel of 2300fps...Hornady 124gr A-Max spit out at 2350fps. Hornady shot MOA with Leupold 1.25-4x Hog scope. Wolf shot about 2 MOA. not bad for a 12.5-inch barrel. no need for hearing protection with 308 Gemtech suppressor attached and runs like a scalded dog on full auto. I'm happy. had a few short-strokes/failure to eject when using a Smith muzzle brake on full auto. no problems on semi. Might need a heavier buffer? I have a standard 223 carbine buffer in it now.
Posts: 132
Threads: 16
Joined: Jun 2011
thanks for the tip LRRPF52 - i think i have an H2 around somewhere so will try it next time out. I have a 9mm Colt AR buffer as well as an AAC-rate reducing buffer so might try those as well and see which one tunes it for the right cycle rate, etc...
Posts: 132
Threads: 16
Joined: Jun 2011
burnsome....