Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
High Mountain Coyotes
#1
Got a chance to get out and do some calling last weekend and haven't posted any of my predator hunting..This was one of the tougher calling days, with plenty of hiking.Really made this one rewarding for sure, and really makes it more of an experience to get out in the high country! Grendel made easy work of this one with a 100 Grain Nosler.She ranged in at 340 Yards to the rock she was on before she took a roll.

Awesome Country!
[Image: countryj.jpg]

[Image: dogro.jpg]

2 dogs on this rock cropping from where I was sitting..
[Image: shot11w.jpg]

Long day of treading and calling by this point..but worth every minute!
[Image: coy2.jpg]
Reply
#2
That is beautiful country. Nice rig, nice kill.
Congratulations.
Reply
#3
Where is that? Near Malta?
Reply
#4
Beautiful country, congrats on the yoke and really good looking rifle. Thanks for taking the time to share your hunt.
Reply
#5
Beautiful country and good job sticking with it. My 6.5G loves those 100 B-Tips.
Reply
#6
Thanks guys for the compliments. Have had some other success this year, but hunting the fields down low are easy dogs. Had to share this one and was almost ready to throw in the towel! I enjoy seeing the horde getting some fur down!
John,
Your range report turned me on to the 100 Gr. Noslers,so thanks for your contribution!
They shoot way better then the 95 VMAX's.
30.0 of 8208 turned a quarter size group at 100.
First load with them! Couldn't be happier.
OW
Reply
#7
Excellent pics and hunting report. Nice-looking blaster as well. Did you shoot off your sticks? What velocity are you getting with the 100gr Nosler Ballistic Tip?
Reply
#8
Wow! Beautiful pics! Thanks for sharing. It chills me to the bone just looking at them.LOL I always wondered about Idaho as a possible relocation place, but it looks awful cold up there.Smile

I mainly shoot the 120 Noslers, but the 100 grains are great pills too. Glad to read they are doing well for you.

The hard won hunts are the longest savored, and it looks like you definitely earned that one.Smile
Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....
Reply
#9
Great pictures, thank's for sharing. Do you powder your coyotes before you carry them back?
Reply
#10
LRRPF52 Wrote:Excellent pics and hunting report. Nice-looking blaster as well. Did you shoot off your sticks? What velocity are you getting with the 100gr Nosler Ballistic Tip?
Thanks,I did end up shooting it from my sniper styx,I was able to get on my side and get settled in. I was on a pretty bald face with no cover and the 2 of them were glued in on me. If I could have proned out or had a friend with me,I really think a double was possible.
I took a few rounds at the other one,but he was on his way out of dodge by then.
I haven't chrono'd them yet,I'm guessing 2750 ish.Shoot I think I have less then 15 rounds of them downrange.But they were grouping awesome,and sure was terror on the coyote.
Excited to do some more messing with them.
Reply
#11
Excellent story and pictures! That load gives me 2775 fps from 20" and 2680 fps from 16". Thanks for sharing.
Best,
PA
Reply
#12
I don't recall my velocity with the 8208 but with Benchmark I'm right in there with PA. y barrel is a 20" 1/9 twist.
Reply
#13
Here are some groups I fired in August of 2010 with the 100 B-Tips. I had two different OAL’s with the same load that I knew were both good. This was an attempt to figure out which one I would stick with.

The three circled groups on the left are just kissing the lands (2.725” comp), the three on the right are .030” off the lands (2.695”Wink. All five shot groups @ 100 yards prone with bipod and squeeze bag. The top left group is ten shots of the .030” jump load fired fairly quickly after the five shot groups were done… with a very warm barrel I might add.

That was the day I knew the 100 grain B-Tip was the bullet to beat in my barrel Smile. It also revealed to me that I needed to work on my hold/cheek weld and its effect on POI.

[Image: P1030074_zps139988b1.jpg]
Reply
#14
The 30thou off load is a the one to beat all right and with the 10 shot group doing what it does you have to be all set to go. It really is good when you get things nailed down like that.
http://www.vongruffknives.com/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Von Gruff



Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
Acts 4:10-12
Reply
#15
Still curious as to where in Idaho this was.
Reply
#16
Overwatcher Wrote:Thanks guys for the compliments. Have had some other success this year, but hunting the fields down low are easy dogs. Had to share this one and was almost ready to throw in the towel! I enjoy seeing the horde getting some fur down!
John,
Your range report turned me on to the 100 Gr. Noslers,so thanks for your contribution!
They shoot way better then the 95 VMAX's.
30.0 of 8208 turned a quarter size group at 100.
First load with them! Couldn't be happier.
OW

Nice shootin'. That's my load for the 100 NBT's as well.
NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)