Posts: 252
Threads: 26
Joined: Sep 2012
Ok, I realize this is probably a stupid question, but that realization never stopped me before so, here goes....
Does anyone know what the rules are for bringing MSRs into the UK? I ask because I'm thinking of doing a water deer/muntjac/sika hunt near Oxford next winter and I would bet that the 6.5G would rock on those smaller deer.
Anybody have experience with taking AR's to the UK? Semi-autos might be blanket illegal -- I just don't know. I've hunted black bear in Canada with an AR (338FED) and it wasn't too bad to get thru the paperwork. (Actually, that brings up another question -- what is New York going to do about AR's in transit thru their airports? What does California do?)
Advice would be appreciated and, if it happens, I'll post pics.
I'm not an expert... I hit London (for work) three times in the last year, and one of my Brit co-workers (ex-military) said my AR isn't legal there. He mentioned something like only Shotguns and some bolt action hunting rifles are allowed. He was excited on his last trip to the states to shoot my wife's S&W AR-15.
Posts: 252
Threads: 26
Joined: Sep 2012
Just got the word from Greg Rodriguez who is facilitating/going on the hunt -- no semiautos in UK. He says not to try to bring a "military" caliber (.223/.308) even in a bolt gun. Bummer......would have been cool.
Posts: 990
Threads: 8
Joined: Oct 2012
.243 works just fine...but yhea it would be fun to use the grendel i bet!
Posts: 4,444
Threads: 97
Joined: Mar 2011
There are AR15's, but the semi is disabled by removing the gas tube. Then you simply run it like a bolt gun. It works best with a sidecharger upper.
There are several members on the forum from there who have described the guns in the past.
If you had a sidecharger upper, you could simply remove the gas tube, plug the gas block, and run that way!
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live. - John Galt
Posts: 1,143
Threads: 51
Joined: May 2012
Honestly it's probably more hassle than its worth trying to take your Grendel into the uk I would barrow a gun there as far as new yank goes I would say call the state police and the tsa
Also to take your gun overseas you will need to fill out customers paper works so you will be able to bring it back if you don't have the paperwork with customs stating that you owned the gun in the us before taking it out of the country it will be treated like an import and you could get caught up in gun trafficking laws....
Punctuation is for the weak....
Even when I have flown through the UK to another destination, they had to have a private security company secure my rifle case, escort it to my next flight, place it on the plane, and observe it until the cargo door closed and the plane took off. They said it was a "weapon of mass destruction", their words, not mine...for a bolt-action.
Part of the problem is theft at the airport, so not only does the private security company prevent the evil guns from coming into the UK, but they help prevent theft by airport personnel who are working for whatever criminal organization. I was also informed by British Airways that even a .22 LR is a dangerous, restricted military caliber because the military has training rifles chambered in it. You have to jump through numerous fiery hoops to take a gun into the UK.
Posts: 252
Threads: 26
Joined: Sep 2012
LR52, I wonder if the UK guys have heard about my (poor) shooting skills, if they consider a bolt gun to be a "weapon of mass destruction." My brother has accused me of contributing to environmental lead contamination through marksmanship.
BW, I've got a side charge upper --- hmmmm.......if I pull the gas tube and remove the gas block, what happens at the port site on the barrel?
ms -- I'm making a 4457 run to STL in the next few weeks to make sure all the Customs stuff is in order. I went to New Zealand some years back and did not know about the 4457 requirement. Got back to LAX and the Customs Agent said, "Where's your form?" "What form?" etc etc etc. My son was 10 at the time and the Customs Agent turned out to be a hunter -- my son shows him pics of his Tahr, Chamois, stag etc and the guy let's us thru. Lesson learned.
Posts: 209
Threads: 35
Joined: Feb 2012
Y85 pm me I stalk the deer you mention, over here.
Buck2732
"You will know you are in a nuclear attack by the bright flash, loud explosion, widespread destruction, intense heat, strong winds and the rising of a mushroom cloud".
"I have no idea what weapons will be used in the next world war... but I do know that world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones". A Einstein.
PER ARDUA
Posts: 990
Threads: 8
Joined: Oct 2012
Buck2732 Wrote:Y85 pm me I stalk the deer you mention, over here.
Is it true what they said about military rounds are verboten? Either way...what do you hunt with?
...or you could convince one of your buddies who already owns one or more bolt-gun or single-shot rifles in the UK to re-barrel to the Grendel. That isn't as far-fetched as it sounds since they have already gone through the hoops. Von Gruff would tell is that it works pretty good even on the opposite side of the planet! BTW New Zealand is about as far away from the UK as one can get -- literally the far side of the ocean.
Posts: 1,081
Threads: 34
Joined: Apr 2012
03-01-2013, 11:22 PM
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2013, 11:26 PM by Von Gruff.)
JASmith Wrote:...or you could convince one of your buddies who already owns one or more bolt-gun or single-shot rifles in the UK to re-barrel to the Grendel. That isn't as far-fetched as it sounds since they have already gone through the hoops. Von Gruff would tell is that it works pretty good even on the opposite side of the planet! BTW New Zealand is about as far away from the UK as one can get -- literally the far side of the ocean.
Yep and we like it that way
It really is a simple and rewarding exercise to take one of the small actions and make it into something more with the Grendel. Would make a dandy little hill rifle there as it definately is here. I watch the http://www.fieldsportschannel.tv/ every week and the stalking is a little different but the grendel would certainly shine.
Posts: 209
Threads: 35
Joined: Feb 2012
03-01-2013, 11:33 PM
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2013, 06:51 PM by Buck2732.)
 KentuckyBuddha Wrote:Is it true what they said about military rounds are verboten? Either way...what do you hunt with?
That's not right at all. I stalk (not hunt) this side of the pond  with; .223 Rem AR (straight pull) .303 BSA and my CZ527 in Gren.
There is a minimum caliber, bullet speed and MV for the size of deer. This being the UK there are differences in Scotland and Ireland from England and Wales. There are open and closed seasons for male and female deer, again different through out the UK.
This website has most of what you need to know. http://www.bds.org.uk/
Just for giggles, taking out the gas parts, tube or piston and block, will make no difference as it was made to auto load from new. It will have a hole in the barrel. With the chance of 15 years at Her Majesty's pleasure. If you get caught.
Buck2732
"You will know you are in a nuclear attack by the bright flash, loud explosion, widespread destruction, intense heat, strong winds and the rising of a mushroom cloud".
"I have no idea what weapons will be used in the next world war... but I do know that world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones". A Einstein.
PER ARDUA
The restrictions are on importing calibers of military use, as was explained to me, not necessarily ownership.
Posts: 209
Threads: 35
Joined: Feb 2012
LRRPF52 Wrote:The restrictions are on importing calibers of military use, as was explained to me, not necessarily ownership.
I have never heard of this being a problem for importing either, I can check tomorrow as I am of to my local GS.
If you bring your own, to use it here to stalk then take it back, its not an import. You will have to have a visitors permit £26.00 and a sponsor to get it for you.
Its probably better to use an "estate rifle" as when I had my Gren put on my Licence there was 31 others in the country.
Buck2732
"You will know you are in a nuclear attack by the bright flash, loud explosion, widespread destruction, intense heat, strong winds and the rising of a mushroom cloud".
"I have no idea what weapons will be used in the next world war... but I do know that world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones". A Einstein.
PER ARDUA
Posts: 252
Threads: 26
Joined: Sep 2012
This is what is so cool about this forum - great advice, and good conversation. Buck2732, PM sent.
Posts: 209
Threads: 35
Joined: Feb 2012
PM Sent Y85
Buck2732
"You will know you are in a nuclear attack by the bright flash, loud explosion, widespread destruction, intense heat, strong winds and the rising of a mushroom cloud".
"I have no idea what weapons will be used in the next world war... but I do know that world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones". A Einstein.
PER ARDUA
Posts: 209
Threads: 35
Joined: Feb 2012
Hi all I have just returned from the range via the GS. He has confirmed that there is no problem bringing in to the country any military caliber rnds or weapons. Here is the get out statement, so long as it confirms to our laws.
I hope this helps.
Buck2732
"You will know you are in a nuclear attack by the bright flash, loud explosion, widespread destruction, intense heat, strong winds and the rising of a mushroom cloud".
"I have no idea what weapons will be used in the next world war... but I do know that world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones". A Einstein.
PER ARDUA
Posts: 990
Threads: 8
Joined: Oct 2012
Buck2732 Wrote:Hi all I have just returned from the range via the GS. He has confirmed that there is no problem bringing in to the country any military caliber rnds or weapons. Here is the get out statement, so long as it confirms to our laws.
I hope this helps.
LOLz pure gold The way Barca is playing I needed that laugh. : (
Edited: spoke too soon...messi : )
|