Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Glad deer season is over
#1
My wife never thought she would ever hear me say "I can't wait until deer season is over". Here in Georgia, deer season ended on the 15th. The property that I hunt will not let me pursue these predators untill deer season is closed. I used to be a die hard deer hunter but that all ended when I bought my night vision scope. Just to much fun to be had hunting these critters at night and now it is just to boring to hunt deer. Don't get me wrong, I do respect deer hunters because I used to be one, but when I night hunt it is just so active and that is addictive. My hunting season started a week ago and really it never ends here in Georgia. Night hunting is allowed 24/7/365 days a year. Another thing that is addictive is this Grendel. This thing is just a great rifle. Hope you guys enjoy the pic.
[Image: 641E0EA1-DA2D-4D4D-80FB-BA79BA84C8B3-309...EAAEB6.jpg]
Reply
#2
here in Tennessee, we have no Night Vision and no night hunting. as a consquence, if you ever see a live coyote, hog, or bobcat here in broad daylight, it will be a miracle.

you Georgia and Texas guys have it made. and yes, i am envious. sometimes even bitter.
Reply
#3
Those are some big coyotes on the right. I guess the 123gr AMAX is working just fine for you still. I love the sound the Grendel makes when it impacts, compared to a .223 Rem or 5.56 NATO, from such a small action. I was perusing over several different night vision vendors and manufacturers at SHOT Show this month, especially the Thermal Units.

I was thinking of your nightly escapades while viewing such instruments.
Reply
#4
My kid complained that there was so much wrapped deer eat in the freezer today there was no room for food. so I made chili and went pig hunting.
Reply
#5
Good job Shivesy!Smile


LRRPF52 Wrote:Those are some big coyotes on the right. I guess the 123gr AMAX is working just fine for you still. I love the sound the Grendel makes when it impacts, compared to a .223 Rem or 5.56 NATO, from such a small action. I was perusing over several different night vision vendors and manufacturers at SHOT Show this month, especially the Thermal Units.

I was thinking of your nightly escapades while viewing such instruments.
Same here. I've been lusting after a FLIR T50 for a while, and now I want a T65 even more.LOL I haven't been able to justify the cash though (yet...), so I was thinking maybe to substitute a TNVC "Wasp". The only thing keeping me from going ahead and ordering a wasp is that I'm leery of being an early adopter of stuff like that without a bunch of independent reviews, and the fact that a thermal would help me more than I2 would right now. I've sold off some stuff during the current craziness so I could fund another toy, but I just can't make up my mind to pull the trigger.

I have a PVS-14 for now, and some IR lasers, if only the dang thermals didn't cost so much!!! I know prices have been dropping while performance is climbing, but dang I wish the prices would drop even faster!
Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....
Reply
#6
Wow, your definitely doing something right, congratulations. Was that one night hunting?
Reply
#7
Yep. Started at 10pm and took that pic right at light. Hunted all night and got to bed at 9am and slept till 3pm. Oh yea...I forgot to mention their is a downside to this type of hunting. You don't sleep at night.
Reply
#8
Rangers already had all their sleep taken, problem solved.
Reply
#9
That just looks like too much fun. I've been looking at some form of NV for a while. Thermal would be nice, but ouch. I need to decide if I should get a setup or not for my Grendel. With a good mount(like ARMS or such), I would think you could have a nice day and night rifle.

Need to look at my options again, get my cash together....
Reply
#10
Shivery,

Nice work!

I'm sure you've covered this before, but what optics are you running again? Any IR illuminator? Feedback on your rig?


Thanks, and congratulations again!
Reply
#11
Gen 3 Night Optics D-760 scope with a Stream Light Tac IR light. It is a nice set-up.
Reply
#12
Shivesy Wrote:Gen 3 Night Optics D-760 scope with a Stream Light Tac IR light. It is a nice set-up.

Looks like this?

[video=youtube;0VRanCnE9oE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VRanCnE9oE&feature=player_embedded[/video]
LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!
Reply
#13
Shivesy Wrote:Gen 3 Night Optics D-760 scope with a Stream Light Tac IR light. It is a nice set-up.

thats the set up I have on my ar-10... I also got a gen 3 mono.. so i can look around around without havin to point my rifle everwhere I want to look.. plus I can walk anywhere without usin a light.. as a bonus the mono will fit on the rail an work perfectly with my eotech..
Reply
#14
Actually I have 2 of the Night Optic D-760 scopes. 1 is on the Grendel and 1 is zeroed in on my other .223 AR. I unmount the one off of the .223 and use it as a spotter. Just can't beat the 6 power to spot with, plus another scope I can mount incase my son goes with me. I have a nice 1 power mono but just don't use it anymore.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)