Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Buck with 123 SST
#21
jmsdad Wrote:Congrats on the deer!

Is that a Vortex 4-16x50 viper PST scope?

Thanks! Close...It is a 4-16x50 HS LR (second focal plane) model. I have used this scope for a year now and really like it.

-PA
Reply
#22
Bigfoot Wrote:PA, I see you shot the first deer with the sure thing bullet. Heh, good thinkin.

Yes I have utter confidence in the 100 gr TTSX. I had the SST AND TTSX with me couldn't decide which bullet to load first that afternoon. I went with the sure thing first.

Bigfoot Wrote:OK, now for the serious question: I know this is an example of only one but would you say this bout duplicates the 120 BT performance?

I would guess that the performance is very similar but I will have to shoot more game with the SST to say for sure. I know the 120 BT works in the Grendel, and I like the thick, solid base and tapered jacket of the BT design. I'm looking forward to reading others experiences with the SST on game.

- PA
Reply
#23
TY

Good shootin and excellent review.

This forum could use some emoticons..

OT: Looks like the 49ers and Ravens. Go Niners
Reply
#24
GREAT report, thanks, that is what I was hoping for, real world results with the 123 SST. The performance looks good to me, that is a tough chunk of bone to smash and then hold together. I've seen several Nolsler Ballistic Tips that failed to do so, hopefully more reports will confirm this performance.
Bob
Reply
#25
Thanks for the info.
Reply
#26
I thought it would hold together a little better than it did but it did hit bone, i am sur it ould have passed through had it not hit the spine and it is certainly a vast improvement over the amax for hunting
Reply
#27
A quick -sorry to BF-he has the .260, I forgot.

This is is PA's nice deer thread. I'll yap it down a notch.


BTW-von is posting some data on the sst comparisons.
Reply
#28
Another kill with the 123 SST...a small meat doe tonight for another family. Sorry no photos. Broadside at 40 yds; massive destruction to the chest cavity; she didn't take a step. The entrance and exit wounds were very large inside the chest cavity with multiple broken ribs on the exit side...in fact some lung tissue was hanging out of the exit hole. I thought some would be interested in another report.
Best,
PA
Reply
#29
I am. Thanks! I plan to try the factory load on hogs as it becoms available.
Reply
#30
K that does it, I'm sold.

Last I heard I might have some coming in from a poster but if not I'll make an order. Can't beat an accurate, high BC, near/far hunting bullet that's inexpensive enough to practice with. I'll be launching mine a little faster but our deer are generally small so they should work fine. Just keep em behind the shoulder close in. Still wish they were a bit tougher but...oh well, close enough. If I were richer I'd use the 129 AB-LR but I'll be practicing a lot and that would get spendy real fast.

With these and my 100 gr TTSXs I'm set for blackies and mulies. Oh I might eventually load some heavies for a back-up elk rifle but mostly only because I can.

Thanks again for the testing.

hm2 clark Wrote:I am. Thanks! I plan to try the factory load on hogs as it becoms available.

Looking forward to that.
Reply
#31
All,
I don't think the fact that the core could be dislodged from the jacket in this case should be cause for alarm. Looking at the core it seems to me that it had already expanded to the point that the interlock was exposed before hitting bone. I say this because you can see bone fragments embedded in the front most surface of the core. Even after expanding, hitting heavy bone, an continuing to penetrate the core and jacket were intact. This is superior performance in my opinion.
I would not hesitate to shoot through the shoulder of anything up to moose with this bullet from the 6.5 Grendel, I would be concerned at higher velocities though.
The shoulder is actually easier to penetrate than the back bone, even both shoulders. If you make a high shoulder shot that also hits the neck/backbone and the bullet stops there, it will not matter. The animal will be DRT.
Just my observations, but remember we don't have much experience to base this off of yet, just two deer, and I have in the past had many more one shot stops before encountering a failure with other bullets.
Bob
Reply
#32
Great job! That's how I like to hunt, just find a good spot and sit and wait.
Reply
#33
So 2 successful harvests with the 123gr SST now. I think it was summed up best earlier by stating that this projectile meets the following criteria:

* High BC (.510 G1)
* Affordable
* Holds together on game
* Expands well (.465" in one case)
Reply
#34
LR52 - is there any 123SST data in the new book? Or is that vol 2?
Reply
#35
There is 129gr SST data from AA, and several sources of 123gr SMK and 123gr Scenar data in Volume I of the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook, so plenty of good places to run starting loads from. The 123gr SMK & 123gr Scenar tend to have harder jackets and do have longer bearing surfaces, so the 123gr SST can be run a little faster.

We will have a bunch of 123gr AMAX and SST data in Volume II, however Volume I provides a great reference with manufacturer data that has been tested on standardized industry pressure equipment. I'm finding that to be one of the most helpful features to it when looking at powders, bullets, and charge weights where I can see what pressures the max loads are at, and stay under them at an accuracy node.

For example, I just checked in the Hodgdon's portion of the Handbook for any data on 8208 XBR. They have 8208 XBR data for the 90gr Speer TNT, 95gr Hornady V-MAX, 100gr NBT, 107gr SMK, 120gr Barnes TSX, and 123gr SMK.

With the Barnes 120gr TSX, the start load is 25.0gr of 8208 XBR, and max load is 28.0C gr at 2.200" COL with a mv of 2419fps right at 50,000psi from a 20" barrel. The 123gr SMK hits 50,000 psi at 28.5C gr of 8208 with a 2.250" COL, pushing 2497fps.

As I look at Hodgdon's data, I see that they are getting slightly better velocities with H-335, with less chamber pressure. For example, that same 120gr TSX or 123gr SMK can be pushed to the same velocity as with XBR, but with only 48,400psi at the chamber. This is one of the great values of the Handbook, in that we have industry pressure-tested data where we can compare powders right next to each other.

On the other hand, running virtually the same speeds again with the 100gr NBT, H-335 generates more pressure than 8208 XBR.
Reply
#36
PA_Allen Wrote:The entrance and exit wounds were very large inside the chest cavity with multiple broken ribs on the exit side...

Large entrance wound.. Did it hit a rib going in?
Reply
#37
Bigfoot Wrote:Large entrance wound.. Did it hit a rib going in?

I think so but we cleaned her so quick that I can't say for certain. No doubt there was rapid expansion though.

I don't want folks to put too much stock into my 2 reports. I'm just trying to share my experience and get the conversation going. I'll be more confident in the performance when we get a dozen or more reports of success from others.
So far so good though!
Best,
PA
Reply
#38
All I can say is simply awesome!!!

A320PYLT
Reply
#39
What is the upper?
It looks just like my 20" SAOD. BTW! Nice deer (both of them)!
Reply
#40
parallax Wrote:What is the upper?
It looks just like my 20" SAOD. BTW! Nice deer (both of them)!

Thanks! Yes it is a 20" SAOD with Lothar Walther Barrel. I purchased it several years ago, and have had great luck with it.

I would love to build a 16" with an AA barrel for a lightweight hunting upper if parts were available.....

Best,
PA
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)