Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Blank Barrel
#1
Question: If I'm going to buy a barrel blank, do I need to get a 6.5 mm barrel blank and machine it to Grendel specs and desired length or do I need to get a barrel blank that's 6.5 Grendel Specific?
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin
Reply
#2
6.5 mm
Reply
#3
Then you need to decide on what rifling twist you will use, which will be based on the barrel length you go with. Shorter barrels need a tighter twist, while longer pipes are good with 1/9.
Reply
#4
I'm wanting to build a lightweight upper with a 16" 0r 14.5" upper.

I'd like to find a Lilja blank and here's my thinking on that. I've got a 24" Lilja upper, so I'm thinking if I get another Lilja the loads I develop for my 24" will carry over better minus some fps. Correct me if I've gone off the deep end here.

All that being said the exact brand really isn't an important factor, with the marketplace we're dealing with now.

Thanks
Cory
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin
Reply
#5
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...ost3833011

I thought I found one here, but I'm looking for a fluted barrel.
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin
Reply
#6
i've been trying to go this route. cant find anybody that will do it for less than $275-300 labor, and I have to provide the reamer. By the time you get a decent blank ($200-300), rent a reamer($60 by the time it's shipped and shipped back), buy a barrel extension($30), and getting the barrel finished(50-100), plus finding a bolt(100-200), you're talking $1000+. just gonna wait for my $450 barrel from CSS
Reply
#7
Castor Troy Wrote:i've been trying to go this route. cant find anybody that will do it for less than $275-300 labor, and I have to provide the reamer. By the time you get a decent blank ($200-300), rent a reamer($60 by the time it's shipped and shipped back), buy a barrel extension($30), and getting the barrel finished(50-100), plus finding a bolt(100-200), you're talking $1000+. just gonna wait for my $450 barrel from CSS

That's good info man, thanks. You've got me rethinking going this route. With those numbers I'll be money ahead to order another match grade upper from Precision Firearms and have a better setup in the end.
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin
Reply
#8
Sorry double post.
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)