Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Types and methods of barrel rifling
#1
What are the different types and methods of cutting (or otherwise forming) rifling
in gun barrels?
And what all different styles of rifling are there?
Reply
#2
I. Button-rifling

A. Push button

B. Pull button

II. Cut-rifling


III. Hammer-forging

IV.Broaching

Styles of rifling include:

Standard land and groove
5R, where there are no right angles on the lands
3 land and groove
4 land and groove
polygonal
ratchet
Henry
Metford
Whitworth

You can have progressive rifling as well, where the rate of twist starts slow, then tightens up.

Here's a diagram with just a few of the different styles:
[Image: british_riflingB.jpg]
Reply
#3
AA's rifling, was stated as 5R-=correct?--Boots obermeyer? Been a while since the last read. Thanks L-52.
Reply
#4
I know Pac Nor uses Polygonal, and Kreiger uses 5R, what do the other premium barrel makers use?
Reply
#5
They are all capable of excellent accuracy if made well some last a little longer than others hart uses button satern is cut
Reply
#6
rick458 Wrote:I know Pac Nor uses Polygonal, and Kreiger uses 5R, what do the other premium barrel makers use?

Krieger offers 5R as an option. I spoke with them a while back about it and was told they saw no real advantage over conventional rifling in premium barrels. They only offered it because the market asked for it.

There is some misconception about 5R rifling being "better" primarily because of marketing by Remington and others manufacturers that offer it as a factory option. Their 5R offerings generally do perform better than their standard rifling options not because of the rifling profile but because it is a better quality barrel.
Reply
#7
I have heard the 5r is supposed to foul less but good barrels usually don't have fouling issues hammer forged and cut are supposed to be a little more durable than button cut is touted as being more consistant but if you go with a high end barrel it will more than likely out shoot your abilities and barrel wear shouldn't be a significant issue with the Grendel it operate at a relitivly low pressure with small charges so its not overbored so all the rifling type Should have a good long life
Reply
#8
mongoosesnipe Wrote:I have heard the 5r is supposed to foul less but good barrels usually don't have fouling issues hammer forged and cut are supposed to be a little more durable than button cut is touted as being more consistant but if you go with a high end barrel it will more than likely out shoot your abilities and barrel wear shouldn't be a significant issue with the Grendel it operate at a relitivly low pressure with small charges so its not overbored so all the rifling type Should have a good long life

That is what is claimed but you have to compare apples to apples. If you compare a factory Remington 5R barrel to a standard Remington barrel, that is probably true. Most top quality barrel manufacturers that are honest will tell you there is no detectable difference from one profile to the next. The true difference is in the finish of the bore surface.
Reply
#9
Yep if one was truly better than the other you wouldn't see the diversity among premium barrels ind if you look at be rest rigs you will see barrels of all differt styles and brands most people's preference boils down to brand loyalty based on thier first rig with great accuracy
Reply
#10
rick458 Wrote:I know Pac Nor uses Polygonal, and Kreiger uses 5R, what do the other premium barrel makers use?

PacNor does Polygonal, but they also do others styles, I have a three grove and a five grove conventional rifled 6.5 PacNor barrels.

Bob
Reply
#11
mongoosesnipe Wrote:Yep if one was truly better than the other you wouldn't see the diversity among premium barrels ind if you look at be rest rigs you will see barrels of all differt styles and brands most people's preference boils down to brand loyalty based on thier first rig with great accuracy

I'm partial to Krieger barrels, I've owned several now and they have all been good shooters, but I've also had good shooting, Wilson, PacNor, Satern, Schnieder, Les Baer and Shilen.
Bob
Reply
#12
stokesrj Wrote:PacNor does Polygonal, but they also do others styles, I have a three grove and a five grove conventional rifled 6.5 PacNor barrels.

Bob
I should have said the Pac-Nor Noveske Mod 0 AR barrels are Polygonal,
Does anybody make 6.5 Grendel AR Barrels using Pac-Nor barrel blanks?
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)