Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
6.5 remington Ultra mag finally done
#1
well its finally done and its a long bastard but i love it here is what all has gone into this build.
i started with a savage model 111 300 win mag added a 31" custom contour broughton barrel 1-8 twist, trued the action, heavy duty recoil lug, holland quick discharge muzzle break, trigger job, custom bolt handle, hogue overmolded stock, vortex viper pst 6-24x50 scope shes chambered in 6.5 remington ultra mag (6.5 RUM) used nosler 7mm rum brass necked them down to 6.5mm. its shooting 140gr VLD's at 3400+fps. here are a few pics one before and one after.
Reply
#2
Nice. Long is an understatement. I am waiting on a Savage Predator Hunter in 6.5-284 to experiment with. I figure when the barrel burns out I can easily replace it with another 6.5-284 prefit or change to something different. I am considering using that very same optic but they appear to be sold out everywhere.
Reply
#3
carbontetrachloride Wrote:Nice. Long is an understatement. I am waiting on a Savage Predator Hunter in 6.5-284 to experiment with. I figure when the barrel burns out I can easily replace it with another 6.5-284 prefit or change to something different. I am considering using that very same optic but they appear to be sold out everywhere.


Look at Camerland, looks like they have this scope in stock. I think they give a discount to forum members.
Reply
#4
carbontetrachloride Wrote:Nice. Long is an understatement. I am waiting on a Savage Predator Hunter in 6.5-284 to experiment with. I figure when the barrel burns out I can easily replace it with another 6.5-284 prefit or change to something different. I am considering using that very same optic but they appear to be sold out everywhere.

Also SWFA has vortex, just ordered one tonight
Reply
#5
Very similar ballistics to my 6.5 STW, I shoot 140 grain Nosler partitions at 3,450 FPS. I have had nothing but one shot kills with it, I think around 18 head of big game taken now, I would have to consult my notes to be sure. Regardless, it has performed flawlessly in many terrains and on many animals, you will see when you take that first one.
Bob
Reply
#6
That is freaking sweet! Do you have your scope bases and rings Loc-tited?
Reply
#7
Pretty cool, that should be able to reach out and touch somebody.
Reply
#8
they are not loc-tited in. i still have to bed the block and a little more work but did take it out and blew a coyote to bits with it this last weekend. its a sweet shooter and there is almost no kick with that break. i love this optic and it is vey clear glass you wont be disapointed
Reply
#9
i have my next project at the gun smith right now its a 338 edge+p it should shoot a 300gr VLD at 3000fps here are some specs on it
30" kreiger heavy pulma contour with holland quick discharge break, on a remington model 700 action holand heavy duty recoil lug with a jewel trigger at 1 lb manners T5A stock and a vortex razor HD to finish it off
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)