Ok, so for my first build which I am about to finish I used a surplus ammo and arms stripped lower. Since it seems like lowers are flying off the shelves now due to the election, I was wondering should I just fork out the cash and buy one in the 120+ range instead of waiting for cheaper lowers to come back in stock? I would be paying double for one if I spent 120+ however my buddy swears that its worth it to pay more even though there are only like 6 manufacturers or something like that so they are fairly similar in quality. Thoughts, opinions?
Posts: 990
Threads: 8
Joined: Oct 2012
I would love to see a comparison of how differently a rifle performs with a New Frontier composite LR for $45 and that one that cost $260 with identically prepared weapons. I would be mildly surprised to see a massive difference. But, hey, I am very often wrong. lol
Ya your right, the difference would be minimal because the NFA and the PlumCrazy polymer lowers do provide for a tight fit to the upper. But some folks fear plastic like a zombie apocalypse.
I have a PC lower on the bottom of my upper and its been there since I purchased my kit last February, current round count is nearing 3k and it's functioning as well as it did the day it was put together.
I purchased my PC lower with the intent to replace it as soon as it was feasible, but the thing works so well I decided to leave it there; instead, I purchase a new scope and some additional reloading components. I am in a position now that I feel like replacing it, as well as my handguard and buttstock with something more unique or custom. The Seekins is at the top of my list for lowers.
If the OP is piecing a rifle together, he may want to wait and see what information others offer, as he indicated in his post. I'm only offering my thoughts and opinions, I'm certain that he will appreciate yours as well!
hobbesgunner
Unregistered
Buy a brand name receiver ....if you ever want to sell the gun it pays to have a name people will recognize on it....and in the overall cost of building an AR the receiver is one of the cheaper parts
Posts: 990
Threads: 8
Joined: Oct 2012
You are spot on there Bwild...the tolerances were so tight i had to do some filing to make some parts fit even! Who knows how those receivers will do after time in extreme temperatures or dry conditions but they will probably be fine for any use i would have.
hobbesgunner is almost certainly correct that if one were planning to sell them off eventually...it would probably be more profitable to get a name brand lower.
Hmm, I guess I will have to look around and see what I can get, I do like that seekins. I don't know if I like the built in ambi bolt release though. I was planning on getting a BAD lever from magpul but then again I don't have any experience with the ambi release. I was also thinking of getting a new frontier lower however we do have cold winters now and again in Michigan. As kentuckybuddah stated don't know how it will hold up to the cold. This will be for my run and gun 5.56/300blk.
I ordered a AA Grendel marked receiver for my J&T kit. I'll pick it up next week. It was $95 + ship from JSE.
Ken
Posts: 345
Threads: 22
Joined: Mar 2012
Captk Wrote:I ordered a AA Grendel marked receiver for my J&T kit. I'll pick it up next week. It was $95 + ship from JSE.
Ken
I bought 2 of these from JSE, one I ended up using on my Grendel and one for my Beowulf. Totally satisfied,,,
I do have an
Black Rain Ordinance lower and upper on a 5.56 build that totally rocks, but is almost double your budget...
Posts: 990
Threads: 8
Joined: Oct 2012
You know I just thought of something, one of my cousins was mentioning that he wanted a 80% finished one more than anything. I had never heard of it before, but surely he and Mexican drug cartels can't be the only ones that would feel that way.
Posts: 245
Threads: 54
Joined: Oct 2011
Palmetto State Armory has some blem lowers in stock right now for $69. I can't vouch for them, just throwing it out there.