11-13-2012, 11:55 PM
I am new to Grendel and ARs but am building my own. Enjoying the process and appreciate all of the information I have been able to find here.
I just received my Shilen 20" barrel from Midway last evening. Looks great, and I can't wait to get the upper assembled and get to the range. Before I do that, I am considering sending it back to Shilen to have the muzzle threaded. 90% of my shooting will be under 500 yards at paper.
I am not sure I will put a compensator on it, but I think I want the option and know I will be hard pressed to break it down once assembled.
My questions are:
1. If I do decide to send it in for threading, are there advantages to 9/16x24 over 5/8x24 for the Grendel?
2. There seem to be more choices for 5/8x24, but exit holes tend more towards .308. How would a .308 compensator perform on a Grendel?
3. Can anyone direct me to drawings or specs for either or both of those threads? At a minimum, I need to send the desired thread length along with the diameter and pitch to Shilen.
Thanks,
Cam
I just received my Shilen 20" barrel from Midway last evening. Looks great, and I can't wait to get the upper assembled and get to the range. Before I do that, I am considering sending it back to Shilen to have the muzzle threaded. 90% of my shooting will be under 500 yards at paper.
I am not sure I will put a compensator on it, but I think I want the option and know I will be hard pressed to break it down once assembled.
My questions are:
1. If I do decide to send it in for threading, are there advantages to 9/16x24 over 5/8x24 for the Grendel?
2. There seem to be more choices for 5/8x24, but exit holes tend more towards .308. How would a .308 compensator perform on a Grendel?
3. Can anyone direct me to drawings or specs for either or both of those threads? At a minimum, I need to send the desired thread length along with the diameter and pitch to Shilen.
Thanks,
Cam

