Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Stock suggestions for hunting
#21
I'd have to cast my vote for the Magpul STR. The cheek weld is better than the MOE and CTR (I have both) and it is half the price of the SOPMOD that came with my LMT lower.

I liked the SOPMOD but bought the STR because it is aesthetically more pleasing to me.
Reply
#22
For pistol grips, the Hogue is easily one of the best!
Reply
#23
DOH. I meant PRS, not SPS.
Reply
#24
JDub Wrote:I'd have to cast my vote for the Magpul STR. The cheek weld is better than the MOE and CTR (I have both) and it is half the price of the SOPMOD that came with my LMT lower.

I liked the SOPMOD but bought the STR because it is aesthetically more pleasing to me.
Ditto. I have a SOPMOD, some CTR's, a RR "Operator", PRS's, Roger's "Super Stocks", and others. I just recently put an STR on my 6940, and so far I'm digging it. I think it's going to be my new default AR stock. It's like having a CTR with the added battery compartments creating the SOPMODs cheekweld-- for much less dough...Smile

[Image: 4d820782.jpg]
[Image: ce3b2153.jpg]

Now if I could just get Colt to make 6940's in 6.5 Grendel, offer it in FDE cerakote with the STR, and Trijicon to make M150's with 123gr. Hornady Amax trajectory reticles.... Smile
Reply
#25
Colt is working on a Grendel. They recently announced it on AR15.com in their industry thread.
Reply
#26
LRRPF52 Wrote:Colt is working on a Grendel. They recently announced it on AR15.com in their industry thread.
Yep, they haven't said what envelope it'll be chambered on though. I've got my fingers crossed for the 6940. To me that one is the ideal choice for Grendelization.
Reply
#27
I prefer the Ace Socom M4L buttstock since it is adjustable, quiet, sturdy and does pull facial hair like most adjustable stocks can. I also use a Hogue pistol grip for quiet comfortable function.

[Image: 2012-11-03_09-04-15_947.jpg]
Reply
#28
Variable Wrote:Yep, they haven't said what envelope it'll be chambered on though. I've got my fingers crossed for the 6940. To me that one is the ideal choice for Grendelization.

same here.
Reply
#29
Y85 Wrote:Cool - so CTR/STR = VLTOR? Consensus? If I am not planning on illuminated optics, what else do you carry in the compartments besides batteries. LRRPF52 - nice looking weapon. What optic?

Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 MRAD, with zero-stop. It's the ideal magnification range for the 16" Grendel if you want a target & hunting carbine that is easy to carry, but can reach out to the potential of the cartridge.

[Image: GrendelCarbine.jpg]
Reply
#30
LRRPF52 Wrote:Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 MRAD, with zero-stop. It's the ideal magnification range for the 16" Grendel if you want a target & hunting carbine that is easy to carry, but can reach out to the potential of the cartridge.

Would you say the same thing goes for 18" and 20"? Same shooting criteria, say hunting up to 400 yards and target shooting 90% of the time less than 250yds.

-mm
Reply
#31
michaelmew Wrote:Would you say the same thing goes for 18" and 20"? Same shooting criteria, say hunting up to 400 yards and target shooting 90% of the time less than 250yds.

-mm

Yes, it's a lot of scope for the compact size and price. It makes a great piece of glass for 18" and 20" guns. I used to have it on my 22" .260 Rem, which I use to shoot out to 1000yds and further. I have printed a 9.25" group at 1000yds with the .260 Rem with that glass, with an uncorrected wind change in mirage, off the truck bed shooting from the bipod.

It has great field of view, clear glass, an excellent reticle design, some of the best turrets on the market, zero-stop, and is pretty lightweight.
Reply
#32
LRRPF52 --
I was looking at the PST 4-16x50 because it is available in FFP. (22oz v 18oz for the 2.5-10x) Thoughts?
Also, why MRAD instead of MOA reticle -- education needed.
Thanks again for all the advice.
BR
Reply
#33
LRRPF52...while you're answering Y85, can you also discuss how you deal with lack of parallax adjustment in the 2.5-10 when shooting longer ranges? IIRC, the parallax is "set" to 100 yds...
Reply
#34
I use Mil Reticles/Turrets, because I do a lot of shooting with coalition partners who use Mils exclusively, and I'm used to them from the M24/M3A in the Army, as well as calling for mortar/artillery fire with the M22 binos. I also found the metric system to be easy to use once I un-hitched my mind from inches for measuring objects.

It makes more sense to use MOA/inches if you grew up in America, and also know yards better. It shouldn't make a whole lot of difference unless you're measuring range with your reticle on UKD targets anyway. A 1/4 MOA turret will allow you to fine-tune your zero just a bit better than a .1 MRAD turret will too.

I use the ocular piece on the 2.5-10x44 Viper PST, which isn't as convenient as the Side Focus found on the 4-16 and 6-24, or 5-15 that I have.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)