10-06-2012, 01:16 AM
A cloud of dust at 250 yards and some movement caught my eye as two blacktail bucks, a spike and a 2x3 started down the hill in my direction. They disappeared in a swale but instead of continuing towards me they cut south and were headed for a draw. The larger buck came up the trail over a small knob walking slowly and offered me a clear shot. It was opening morning and I had made up my mind before season to take the first forked horn or better that presented an opportunity.
He was quartering away at ~150 yards when I shot him. He dropped instantly at the hit and I could see hair drifting in the air through the scope but due to the terrain I didnt have a visual on the deer. I called my shot slightly high and back. There was dust being kicked up in the area for about ten seconds so I knew he wasnt DRT at the shot. The spike froze and stared at the downed deer for a few seconds before vacating the area. I moved up the hill to gain a vantage point but could not get a visual on him so I moved in cautiously. Once I got to the landmark I had noted he was near when I fired I caught some movement as he came out of his bed and made for a draw 20 away on wobbly knees obviously hurting. I was in hot pursuit as the buck disappeared over the edge. As soon as I made it to the draw there he was bedded 30 yards away. A finisher in the neck sealed the deal. He rolled a ways down the 45 degree slope & came to rest against a bush.
My first shot came was high behind the diaphragm and clipped one lung on the exit. Fortunately it came in above the stomach but it did a number on the tenderloins. Not that i planned it that way but I was somewhat surprised that the hit so close to the spine did not anchor him.
![[Image: 002-23.jpg]](http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll94/johnod2/002-23.jpg)
First load out with 40# of boned meat in my hunting pack
![[Image: 007-11.jpg]](http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll94/johnod2/007-11.jpg)
The hooves were more impressive than the horns
He was quartering away at ~150 yards when I shot him. He dropped instantly at the hit and I could see hair drifting in the air through the scope but due to the terrain I didnt have a visual on the deer. I called my shot slightly high and back. There was dust being kicked up in the area for about ten seconds so I knew he wasnt DRT at the shot. The spike froze and stared at the downed deer for a few seconds before vacating the area. I moved up the hill to gain a vantage point but could not get a visual on him so I moved in cautiously. Once I got to the landmark I had noted he was near when I fired I caught some movement as he came out of his bed and made for a draw 20 away on wobbly knees obviously hurting. I was in hot pursuit as the buck disappeared over the edge. As soon as I made it to the draw there he was bedded 30 yards away. A finisher in the neck sealed the deal. He rolled a ways down the 45 degree slope & came to rest against a bush.
My first shot came was high behind the diaphragm and clipped one lung on the exit. Fortunately it came in above the stomach but it did a number on the tenderloins. Not that i planned it that way but I was somewhat surprised that the hit so close to the spine did not anchor him.
![[Image: 002-23.jpg]](http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll94/johnod2/002-23.jpg)
First load out with 40# of boned meat in my hunting pack
![[Image: 007-11.jpg]](http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll94/johnod2/007-11.jpg)
The hooves were more impressive than the horns


