Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Lightweight hand guard suggestions
#21
Schwag...those APs look awesome...now my leading candidate. I didn't see a barrel nut mentioned. Does it come with barrel nut?
Reply
#22
BjornF16 Wrote:Schwag...those APs look awesome...now my leading candidate. I didn't see a barrel nut mentioned. Does it come with barrel nut?

No, and you need to have a standard AR barrel nut. The AP comes with a machined 'trunion' that locks onto the barrel nut, then the carbon-fiber tube is attached to the trunion with 3 screws. I took a chance and ordered this AP instead of opting for one of the tubes out there that have to be glued, because I didn't want glue. I am SO happy I did. Like I said, and even with the trunion, the AP setup is damned near weightless and feels solid. The AP comes in 4 sizes; carbine, mid-length, rifle and 15-inch. They are sized with the standard front sight/gas block in mind so if you want to shroud low-profile gas blocks as I did you'll need to order the next size up. I mounted a mid-length tube on a carbine ported barrel and have a rifle tube awaiting a mid-length ported barrel.
Reply
#23
I picked up a PRI delta float tube for my grendel build its light but also built like a tank
Reply
#24
BjornF16 Wrote:Nice looking h/g...but I don't think I like having to glue the tube to the barrel nut.

speederx7 Wrote:the glue is NBD. I just used gorilla glue. If you need to take the tube off in the future, you just use a strap wrench... usually the glue will break.

Not to resurrect an old thread...but thought I would post a quick tip for removing Carbon Fiber tubes that get glued / epoxied on. This tip came from Andy at Black Hole Weaponry. Basically, stick your upper in the freezer for a day or two to let it get real cold, then take it out and tap on the carbon fiber tube around where it is glued. The glue will pop itself free. Of course, carbon fiber is stronger than steel, so no real worries there.

Thought that was an awesome suggestion...and felt I'd share it with the rest of you. Never heard anyone mention this method...if it's repetitive, well, apologies.
Reply
#25
I have made a few of these, very sturdy and strong. I can make any length you need and the guard is not glued to the nut. It is easily installed and removed when needed.

http://www.vpcraft.com/rockhollowtactical/

Eric
Reply
#26
Here are some more pics.

https://picasaweb.google.com/10379465221...ber132012#
Reply
#27
BjornF16 Wrote:I'm torn between 10" and 12" MI Gen II SS versus 12.5" AA Mk10. I'm planning on using the Syrac adjustable gas block with front gas adjustments. The 10" h/g should just cover block while have to reach in for the 12" or 12.5" in order to adjust the gas block.

In the meantime, this arrived in mail today from Satern (Woohoo!):

Here's the 10" Midwest gen 2 on my 5.56. I've got a serious case of barrel envy, how long was the wait to get it?


http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...Zombie-Gun)
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)