Posts: 1,827
Threads: 111
Joined: Jun 2011
Looking to assemble another Grendel, this one based off of a Satern Ultralight barrel (14.5" rifling w/integral flash hider).
Looking at handguard options...I know the AA Mk-10 are lightweight, just wondering if anyone knows anything about the Noveske NSR hand guards, specifically the NSR 11".
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imc...us=&title=
Posts: 1,827
Threads: 111
Joined: Jun 2011
Whelenon Wrote:Have you looked at Midwest Ind Gen 2 Handguards.
http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/inde...ory_ID=450
They look even lighter than the AA handguard.
They appear lighter than the NSR as well. Thanks
Posts: 1,827
Threads: 111
Joined: Jun 2011
Nice looking h/g...but I don't think I like having to glue the tube to the barrel nut.
the glue is NBD. I just used gorilla glue. If you need to take the tube off in the future, you just use a strap wrench... usually the glue will break. I can access the gas block screws (I kept my tube long to cover the gas block) thru the slots that i strategically machined and i also added a rail to the bottom of the tube before i glued it into place.
The Clark unit also uses an aluminum barrel nut. Some people prefer steel barrel nuts. That said, I've used Clark tubes on a couple lightweight builds and have no complaints.
I have the first gen MI SS rail on my 5.45, and have been very pleased with it. It weighs as much as a simple plain jane handguard without rails.
The MI Gen II SS is probably the lightest aluminum handguard I've ever owned or used.
The AA Mk10 carbon fiber is a great system, and the one I would recommend if you go carbon fiber.
Posts: 1,827
Threads: 111
Joined: Jun 2011
I'm torn between 10" and 12" MI Gen II SS versus 12.5" AA Mk10. I'm planning on using the Syrac adjustable gas block with front gas adjustments. The 10" h/g should just cover block while have to reach in for the 12" or 12.5" in order to adjust the gas block.
In the meantime, this arrived in mail today from Satern (Woohoo!):
Posts: 187
Threads: 28
Joined: Nov 2011
BjornF16 Wrote:I'm torn between 10" and 12" MI Gen II SS versus 12.5" AA Mk10. I'm planning on using the Syrac adjustable gas block with front gas adjustments. The 10" h/g should just cover block while have to reach in for the 12" or 12.5" in order to adjust the gas block.
I have the Syrac adjustable gas block on my 20" barrel with a rifle length gas system and the 15" Samson Evo hand guard. Don't worry about not being able to reach the adjustment screw and detent button, Syrac includes very long allen wrenches for you to reach into the hand guards and make adjustments.
Posts: 1,827
Threads: 111
Joined: Jun 2011
Kbarnes...good info. Thanks. 9.3 oz for the 12" MI versus ? oz for the 12.5" Mk-10...
anyone know how much the 12.5" Mk10 weighs (incl. barrel nut)?
Does anyone have any experience with the Diamondhead V-RS T system? Their website doesn't list a weight.
For light weight you also have Christensen arms carbon fiber handguards. Although pricey they are a first class handguard. A friend of mine has one on his. The carbon fiber by Lancer would be a good option as well. Thats about as lite as you could make it other than polymer. Great looking barrel. You wont be dissapointed.
FWIW I love my Gen2 handguards and I would buy them again.
Can carbon fiber be drilled with regular twist drills or must an end cutting end mill be used? I figure I could get that 6 oz handguard down to about 4 oz with some ventilation holes or maybe even slots.
DHumbarger: Carbon fiber can be drilled using regular drills but you want to be very careful with the drilled out pieces because they can be very sharp.
Good luck.
Lee