Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
A 20" MY Purpose Assembly
#1
I'm missing a couple key parts here, but I have enough of it to feel ok showing it off.

[Image: P8250014.jpg]

[Image: P8250015.jpg]

[Image: P8250013.jpg]

[Image: P7230024.jpg]

Specs:
Alexander Arms stripped upper and lower receivers
Palmetto MOE lower parts kit
AR-Stoner 10 rd Grendel mag
Bravo Company gunfighter charging handle mod5
Midwest Industries 15" SS free float hand guard
Caldwell Bipod
DIY 3pt sling
DIY bipod mount solution

Waiting on:
AA 20" heavy barrel and bolt
BCM bolt carrier

I'm working on a paint scheme to add more OD to the mix and possibly a little tan here and there. Suggestions are welcome.

It will have a scope on top and eventually back up irons on the 45 deg. sections.

This will not be a bench or prone only gun, so I plan to get comfortable shooting with the stock collapsed to offset the weight of the barrel.

I am planning to making a break for this thing myself. We'll see how well that goes.
Reply
#2
You'll love it when a plan comes together.

As you can tell I'm a fan of OD Green.
Reply
#3
How much does that FF hand guard weigh?
Reply
#4
Hand guard with barrel nut, jam nut, and both included rail sections (using 4 of the 5 bolts) = 15.5 oz
Reply
#5
I have made a couple custom brass catchers for my other firearms. Here is my first prototype fit for the AR's wire framework. There will be a cloth bag attached to it to catch the spent cases. There will also be heat shrink on the wire that is touching the gun.

[Image: P8260014.jpg]

[Image: P8260015.jpg]
Reply
#6
Be careful someone might steal your idea, like me. That's nice.
Reply
#7
Take it and make it better. I posted the original design for my pistol just so others could make their own, and then ended up making about 20 more because so many people wanted one.

Just don't try to tell me that you claim it for yourself, and that I can't make them anymore because thats just not cool.
Reply
#8
Merrixs, I love the wire work! What kind of wire do you use and do you bend it on some sort of Jig? Any thoughts on "flipping" the mount portion 180 so that it would sit between the rings so that the rear most section of the flat top could be used? When will we see the finished catcher?
Reply
#9
Thanks Stevegun!

It's 2mm spring steel (piano wire) that I get from my local hobby shop. I bend each one by hand with a pair of lineman's pliers. I would have to alter the wire path for more flex if it had to snap over the rail. As is it slides on from the back. As long as you keep the distance relatively close to one corner of the opening, the mounting point could be in several different locations. My other thought was to put it on the small section of rail on the hand guard.

I am going to sew up some more pistol bags to take to a local shoot, so I will probably make one to fit the AR dimensions in a couple weeks when I do the rest. I am going to have to incorporate a trap door to empty the bag, as my upside down dump method will not work with this short in height opening. I'm sure I will make changes a couple times after I get around to function testing, as I did with the pistol version.
Reply
#10
Merrixs, you have mad skills! It looks like it was bent on a jig in a factory. I now understand how it mounts, please disregard my suggestion. Would you consider a Velcro closure for the bottom of the bag with two external fabric "tabs" to pull it apart and dump the bag? I would like to see your completed pistol units, link?
Reply
#11
http://ingunowners.com/forums/ammunition...o_sew.html
Reply
#12
I agree with stevegun, your work looks like it was bent on factory jig. Looks very professional and better than anything I've seen for sale. Obviously you have a twisted mind in order make all those angle come together. Going to have to give it a try.
Reply
#13
Still waiting on the barrel and bolt. Sad I did get my first bit of ammo, as well as a 25 round mag, and a rifle case. I couldn't keep from playing with the new stuff, and noticed that the new mag didn't want to bring the rounds up very well if at all. I noticed the bullets were nose down and not leveling out. I didn't take a before pic, but this is what the follower looked like when it was pressed to the spring.

[Image: PA070016.jpg]

I know the follower wasn't tilting this much in the mag, but it was getting more upward pressure in the back than anywhere else.

I decided to try to make the follower want to sit more level naturally, so I bent the spring to be almost square at the top instead of continuing the zigzag angle.

[Image: PA070015.jpg]

So far so good as far as dry testing goes.

Does anyone know where I can find an in-stock auto bolt carrier with key w/o bolt? Or does anyone have one they would part with?
Reply
#14
Minor update: I went ahead and ordered a complete carrier that comes with a 5.56 bolt so I will just have a 5.56 bolt to sell in the future. I also just ordered my optic today. Vortex Viper 4-12x40 PA Hopefully my barrel will get here shortly after Christmas. I would like to get the rifle put together and start load development by spring. Christmas will be 6 months from order date.
Reply
#15
Well sad to say I have abandoned this project and the rifle has been sold. I am however getting a 6.5 bolt gun to take its place, but it won't be a Grendel unfortunately. Merrixs sighing off.
Reply
#16
Sorry to hear bud.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)