Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
New Grendel Upper For My Daniel Defense
#1
Mornin everybody,

I'm looking into a longer range/ hunting upper for my AR. I was quickly drawn to the Grendel, which made me happy, because i could kinda steer away from the ar-10 platform for the time being. Also, I'm pretty big on accuracy and the Grendel seems to scream accuracy.

I'm trying to decide which upper to go with. The two I've found that i really like are Alexander Arms and Precision firearms. I know AA is a solid choice, does anyone have any experience with Precision Firearms? I know on their site they pretty much guarantee .5in groups after break in, I couldnt find anything like this on alexander's site. Also, if i go AA, would you recommend paying the little extra for the Shilen barrel upgrade?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Reply
#2
Both are great uppers. The Shilen upgrade is worth it on the AA. I'm a died in the wool AA fanboy, and I've owned 6 or 7 of their rifles, and had the opportunity to play with more!

Precision builds great stuff as well. I'm strongly considering one of their AR10 rifles in .260.

I don't think you can go wrong with either.
”You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt
Reply
#3
I got an upper from Precision Firearms a few weeks ago. Mark at Precision has been great. Delivery time was right at what he told me. In addition, he reached out to me about a week after I got it to see how it was going and if he could help in any way. He gave me some guidance on getting it dialed in with some hunting rounds I have been reloading. I have been very pleased with the quality and the service.

With the 123 AMAXs on his website I am getting the .5 MOA. I have some AMAXs being delivered today to reload and see what happens.

I wanted to use mine for hunting and 600 yard range work. I told him I wanted it light and accurate with accuracy being the most important. I took his recommendations and ended up with a scoped rifle weighing 8.2 lbs. I am very pleased.
Reply
#4
Thanks for the help, I've been going back and forth between these two for a while now. I think i'm going to start out with a more entry level scope for the time being and was leaning towards the Nikon M-308, any advice?
Reply
#5
welcome cowboy! Im not sure about the price point on the nikons, but vortex has some fine glass at good prices.
Reply
#6
I think the nikon and vortex are pretty much on par with one another
Reply
#7
and the Nikon comes with a free mount
Reply
#8
and one other question... Will the 20in barrel be long enough?
Reply
#9
KAcwby06 Wrote:and one other question... Will the 20in barrel be long enough?

For what?
”You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt
Reply
#10
I bought a 24" AA upper from JSR SURPLUS. It was at my doorstep in less than a week. The more I shoot it the more it becomes a < .75 MOA.
I just can't say it enough, this unit puts lead where I point it at...EXTREMELY satisfied!
Reply
#11
cowboy, the 20" will be plenty long enough for long range target/ hunting rig. you can eek more velocity out of a longer pipe, but no fun to carry/maneuver in a blind. I talked myself into getting a 22" just because i have a 20" in 5.56 and wanted the extra 2" for a little better balance with the PRS stock, and I think it will look sexy.Rolleyes
Reply
#12
Awesome! Thanks a lot!
Reply
#13
@ KA Cowboy..."Are you a fraternity man?"
Reply
#14
ricsmall Wrote:cowboy, the 20" will be plenty long enough for long range target/ hunting rig. you can eek more velocity out of a longer pipe, but no fun to carry/maneuver in a blind. I talked myself into getting a 22" just because i have a 20" in 5.56 and wanted the extra 2" for a little better balance with the PRS stock, and I think it will look sexy.Rolleyes

Perfect length and if you put a can on it you will like the 20".
Reply
#15
I run mine out to 1100 constantly, we even played around at 1450 the other day. Although not ideal for either distance, it will do the job.
Reply
#16
The 20 sounds perfect then. Around here you don't get the chance to shoot that far very often lol, but it would be a lot of fun. I'm gonna need some practice before I reach out to that range.
Reply
#17
BjornF16 Wrote:@ KA Cowboy..."Are you a fraternity man?"

I'm a KA
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)