Hey everybody,
I really want a Grendel. I've already chosen a load, the Hornady 123 gr A-MAX. If this is a bad choice for an MP build, please let me know. What I'm looking for isn't a rifle designed to be fired with a bipod or from a bench. I want a lightweight, portable AR that can reach out as far as possible without sacrificing mobility. Preferably, I'd like a lightweight barrel and a minimalist handguard, not a quad rail. I won't be needing any accessories on the forend. Keeping it a DI will keep the weight down as well. Light stock with a strong buffer spring.
So what barrel length am I looking at? 16? 18? How long can you go before you need more support, like a bipod? Is there any chance I could skip the chrome-lining and go nitrated instead?
Also, how reliable are 6.5 Grendel mags? Are the larger capacity mags less reliable?
Thanks everyone, I know I ask a lot of questions. I just want to get it right the first time.
In my opinion, a 16 inch barrel is probably your best bet. Try not to get to set on one particular load since theres a lot of good ones out there. I don't know about the others, but I've had good experience with the 5, 10, and 25 rd mags from Cproducts and ASC 6.8 mags. The Cproduct 17rd mags didnt want to feed properly. Good luck with your build, post some pics when you get it done!
welcome supersonic! It sounds like youll be doing alot of walking, and with wanting to reach as far as possible, an 18" would probably be a good compromise. If you want maximum attainable accuracy, def. skip the chrome lining. If you go with a top quality cut rifled pipe, it should last about twice as long as a button pipe. Seems that any of the mags are hit or miss, though from what I can tell they are becoming more reliable. There are also some guys having good luck with the PRI 6.8 mags and the 20 round Pmags,though you wont get full capacity out of these, maybe 7-8 rounds in a 20 rounder. Cant answer about the high cap mags, Im sure someone will chime in. Dont be afraid to ask questions, the folks here are quite knowledeable and happy to help.
ricsmall Wrote:If you go with a top quality cut rifled pipe, it should last about twice as long as a button pipe.
I'm having some trouble finding a precision cut rifled barrel that's under 20 inches. Even the AA GDMR doesn't go below 20.
Posts: 1,827
Threads: 111
Joined: Jun 2011
Supersonic Wrote:I'm having some trouble finding a precision cut rifled barrel that's under 20 inches. Even the AA GDMR doesn't go below 20.
Are you going to put the upper together?...if so, try Satern Machining ( http://saternmachining.com).
If purchasing an upper, try Templar Consulting ( http://templarcustom.com/products/rifles)
+ 1 on Bjorn's advice. Templar will also sell you a barrel/bolt combo, any length, contour,threads,etc. Satern will do the same. I do have an off topic question, does steve cut his own rifling? Just wondering.
Posts: 1,827
Threads: 111
Joined: Jun 2011
From Satern's website:
Quote:WHAT WE DO:
From raw materials to the finished product, our barrels are manufactured in house. From drilling to reaming to rifling, our superior quality comes from proprietary machinery. All developed and built with Satern ingenuity
I'm under the impression that the "5S" rifling is Satern's own version of "5-R" rifling.
Is Loki Weapon Systems a possible contender? I found an 18-incher chambered for 264 LBC!
http://lokiweaponsystems.com/products/ar...egory_id=7
Posts: 3,888
Threads: 211
Joined: Feb 2011
SS, you could try AA's offering here. They also have an 18 here.
Might be close to what you have in mind.
John
:: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets
:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::
Posts: 1,685
Threads: 55
Joined: Mar 2011
18" is a good compromise length for hunting.
Satern can make a cut-rifled 18" if you're not in a hurry.
Drifter
Supersonic Wrote:Is Loki Weapon Systems a possible contender? I found an 18-incher chambered for 264 LBC!
http://lokiweaponsystems.com/products/ar...egory_id=7
I have a Loki 18" barrels, shoots great. It's a saturn/liberty which is a button barrel. It would fit the bill for what you described.
I am a bit confused by the 16-18" recommendations. While certainly accurate and multi-purpose, a Grendel is at its best at longer ranges. Why not capitalize on its strengths? In an 18" barrel the difference between a Grendel and a 6.8 Spc is trivial. Get a 22-24" tube and you can start to see how much better a Grendel is at 400+ yds. My suggestion...a short barrel is fine for < 400 yds. If you want to get out there you need to be looking at a 22-24" tube. YMMV.
I rec. the 18" because the OP was stressing the req. for maneuverability, and with practice, you can shoot an 18" as far as the conditions allow; within reason.
Bill Alexander
Unregistered
I see a lot written about the Grendel not doing well from a shorter barrel. I am not sure where this originates but it is quite incorrect. I regularly shoot 600 yards with a 10.5" barrel and while not the tool of choice for such work it does not disgrace itself, being able to bowl LaRue targets as well as the 308's.
From a strictly analytical standpoint the 20" barrel seems to offer the best all round balance between velocity and weight but in the field it can prove to be rather long unless ranges demand such ability on a regular basis. I find for my personal use, I flip flop between a 14.5 (perm flash hider) and an 18" barrel. With either the 600 yard targets are not any problem. While I like the stability of the 18" I do find myself picking up the shorter barrel on most occasions.
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll look into everything you've shown me!
"Bill Alexander"
Quote:I see a lot written about the Grendel not doing well from a shorter barrel. I am not sure where this originates but it is quite incorrect.
I see a lot of this from one particular forum that is also powered by vBulletin.
A rifle is a series of compromises, made based upon your own biases, I have my biases as well. For hunting I lean towards light weight portability as a priority for my choices. I've hunted the western states hard and have taken a lot of big game, the vast majority of which was taken at under 300 yards with a few exceptions. So my ideal reflects these biases, as nearly any rifle is capable of 300 yard minute of vitals accuracy. Still I start with a high quality, cut rifle barrel. I will not consider any chrome lined barrel, life is too short for that unless i were into full auto saltwater assaults. Even then springs and small parts would stop working due to corrosion before the barrel would be a factor.
My ideal is a 14.5" Satern Ultra light profile barrel coupled with a good trigger, a Giessele SSA-E, the rest of the build is far less critical if you start with these superior components. That is not to say that other barrels are not accurate, they can be but the choice I made is after seeing quite a few barrels perform or fail to perform.
For sights I like a high quality and rugged 30 mm scope. My choice is a night force 2.5-10X NXS with the NP-R2 lighted reticle mounted in a Larue LT 104 mount.
Some would opt for a longer and heavier barrel and I might also if I were not packing the rig long distances. I typically cover 20 miles or more a day on western hunts.
Here is a link to some pics of my ideal 6.5 Grendel hunting rig. http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...#post37482
Bob
+1 on what Bob said. I have the same barrel setup and that barrel is super light( 1.1lbs. I think).
I also have the same setup with Satern's 18" double fluted barrel which makes that upper about 1 pound heavier but I wanted a light barrel I could add different flashhiders, brakes and suppressors onto.
The only difference in Bob's rifle setup and mine is that I use an Ace ARFX buttstock on mine.
Both these barrels make for really light rifles( especially the Satern 16", really 14.5" with built-in integral flashhider, barrel).
Thanks Bob for posting the pictures.
Lee
|