Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Model 1 sales thus far
#41
That's interesting. How many Shilen barrels do you think he rejects? Considering the premium price and supposed premium in quality one would think it would be zero.
Reply
#42
Hey I am sitting on something soft, and it's air conditioned <VBG>.. For quality, you have to wait.. flk k
Reply
#43
fkleinbu Wrote:Hey I am sitting on something soft, and it's air conditioned <VBG>.. For quality, you have to wait.. flk k

Waiting is the worst part of the build:>)

A320
Reply
#44
Purchased a model 1 20 inch flat top upper and placed it on my DPMS 5.56 Oracle lower 8 months ago. It has the EA Shaw heavy heavy barrel. Placed my Burris Black Diamond 6x 24x 50 tactical with tactical Bullet Drop recticle. On my 58th box of Hornaday 123 grain AMax . So far still shooting sub 1.25 inches at 275 yards with this upper and ammo and have yet to clean it since I purchased it from model 1. No jams since firing. I only shoot 4 round groups at a time.

Will clean it this weekend and I have got to learn how to reload as I have spent a shit load of money on ammo. All I can say is for the money and accuracy model 1 has been a no brainer. My scope however was almost 3 times the price of the upper. Oh almost forgot model 1 service is 100 times better than armalite, rock river and DPMS combined!!!!!

Let me also say this is the most amazing round for long distance/accuracy and lethality! My neighbor hunts elk with with it and sold me on it and model 1 sales
Reply
#45
pawpaw1926 Wrote:Purchased a model 1 20 inch flat top upper and placed it on my DPMS 5.56 Oracle lower 8 months ago. It has the EA Shaw heavy heavy barrel. Placed my Burris Black Diamond 6x 24x 50 tactical with tactical Bullet Drop recticle. On my 58th box of Hornaday 123 grain AMax . So far still shooting sub 1.25 inches at 275 yards with this upper and ammo and have yet to clean it since I purchased it from model 1. No jams since firing. I only shoot 4 round groups at a time.

Will clean it this weekend and I have got to learn how to reload as I have spent a shit load of money on ammo. All I can say is for the money and accuracy model 1 has been a no brainer. My scope however was almost 3 times the price of the upper. Oh almost forgot model 1 service is 100 times better than armalite, rock river and DPMS combined!!!!!

Let me also say this is the most amazing round for long distance/accuracy and lethality! My neighbor hunts elk with with it and sold me on it and model 1 sales

Sounds to me as if you have a real shooter. I should get my upper by the 24 and then off to the range to test her out. I will post pics just as soon as I am done.

A320
Reply
#46
I second what A320 said.. That sounds like a nice upper..

Normally I would discount less than 5 round groups, but at 275 yards, you are really stretching it out.. And sub 1.25" 275 yard groups (even 4 round) is outstanding..

LOL about reloading though.. If you are not yet set up, you will spend a ton of money getting all of the stuff needed.. Hey but at least you should have plenty of brass if you kept the brass from those 58 boxes..

For about the amount you have invested in ammo thus far will set you up with a very nice Dillon XL650 with all of the bells and whistles.. I love mine, and it makes easy work of reloading a pile of brass.. Still if you shoot 200 rounds or less at a given time, a single stage press, such as an RCBS Rock Chucker will do you very well..

Flk k
Reply
#47
Thanks Warrior! Love shooting this so much but going broke trying to find ammo. Understand SAMMI gave the stamp of approval on the Grendel and AA has licensed / approval so hopefully more mfgs will produce. Currently , as I understand it, AA, Hornady and wolf produce factory loads. If you know where very good bulk ammo is available I would welcome any suggestion
Reply
#48
Hey Pawpaw,

here's my story. I had an elk hunt last year and did some serious research prior to going since I had never gone before. I was looking for the best load for my rifle (7rem Mag) and settled on hornady superformance. The problem is no one had any locally which is what led me to searching online, something else I had never done. I went to cheaperthandirt.com. I have since then purchased my hornady 30 30 ammo leverreveloution and my now my grendel ammo from them. I cant find these locally and with shipping it comes out to the price I would pay locally.

A320
Reply
#49
Hey A320PYLT,

I live in rural central Texas, and pretty much has to order most of the stuff I get.. A couple of other supply houses in addition to the "Cheaper than Dirt" you noted, I have found to be useful over the years are:

1) Natches Shooters Supply (http://www.natchezss.com/)
2) Midsouth Shooters Supply (http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/)
3) MidwayUSA (http://www.midwayusa.com/)

flk k
Reply
#50
fkleinbu Wrote:Hey A320PYLT,

I live in rural central Texas, and pretty much has to order most of the stuff I get.. A couple of other supply houses in addition to the "Cheaper than Dirt" you noted, I have found to be useful over the years are:

1) Natches Shooters Supply (http://www.natchezss.com/)
2) Midsouth Shooters Supply (http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/)
3) MidwayUSA (http://www.midwayusa.com/)

flk k

I have seen them all, I have order from Midway usa but not ammo. Cheaper than dirt seems to always work out to be the least expensive once shipping is included. I have even looked at target sports and they got close on price but once shipping was added CTD was cheaper by almost $9.00 for 5 boxes of hornady grendel ammo. That's almost half a box.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemListi...?catid=624
A320
Reply
#51
A320PYLT Wrote:I have seen them all, I have order from Midway usa but not ammo. Cheaper than dirt seems to always work out to be the least expensive once shipping is included. I have even looked at target sports and they got close on price but once shipping was added CTD was cheaper by almost $9.00 for 5 boxes of hornady grendel ammo. That's almost half a box.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemListi...?catid=624
A320


Hornady factory loads are currently $19.99 per box with free shipping from PSA:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php...-8150.html
Drifter
Reply
#52
i have a 24 varmint bull 6.5 sporter is reliable with all ammo i stick through it was a little pretentious with 123 aa scenar ammo wouldnt extract a loaded round but said f-it stupid i know but all went extracted spent case shot well doesnt shoot factory 123 amax ammo worth a hoot for target shooting but well enough to get a 6x6 buck with it last fall i asked in an email if they preferred any type or weight of bullet-i reload, but no response but havnt had good enough weather to work up load with 123amxs hoping for good groups i honestly never have had a rifle that shot factory ammo worth a crap on targets but i get excellent groups handloading so i dont have much worry
Reply
#53
Well now PSA may just be my new go to spot if shipping is free!!!

A320
Reply
#54
griffees23 Wrote:i have a 24 varmint bull 6.5 sporter is reliable with all ammo i stick through it was a little pretentious with 123 aa scenar ammo wouldnt extract a loaded round but said f-it stupid i know but all went extracted spent case shot well doesnt shoot factory 123 amax ammo worth a hoot for target shooting but well enough to get a 6x6 buck with it last fall i asked in an email if they preferred any type or weight of bullet-i reload, but no response but havnt had good enough weather to work up load with 123amxs hoping for good groups i honestly never have had a rifle that shot factory ammo worth a crap on targets but i get excellent groups handloading so i dont have much worry

You cant get good groups with hornady 123 amax ammo? What range??

A320
Reply
#55
Ok we are moving now, Got the email stating that my upper is in the mail so it should be here by 8/1. I will get the photos up just as soon as it arrives.

A320
Reply
#56
Sounds great A320; I am jealous.. Still no idea when my Grendel is coming.. Pictures of yours will be nice.. Also let us know how it shoots..

flk

P.S. In my experience, I have always been able to get better groups with handloads than with factory loads.. Which always used to amaze me since most gun writers (starting about 20 years ago) claim modern factory ammo is as accurate as handloads..

In some cases a rifle will "like" one particular bullet over all others.. "Painless", a 700 Remington VS in .223 I have, loves 52gr Sierra HPBT match bullets.. It will shoot those into sub 3/8 " holes.. Use any other bullet, and the groups open up to over 1/2".. It will shoot 3/4" to about 1" groups with factory loads..

flk k
Reply
#57
fkleinbu Wrote:Sounds great A320; I am jealous.. Still no idea when my Grendel is coming.. Pictures of yours will be nice.. Also let us know how it shoots..

flk

P.S. In my experience, I have always been able to get better groups with handloads than with factory loads.. Which always used to amaze me since most gun writers (starting about 20 years ago) claim modern factory ammo is as accurate as handloads..

In some cases a rifle will "like" one particular bullet over all others.. "Painless", a 700 Remington VS in .223 I have, loves 52gr Sierra HPBT match bullets.. It will shoot those into sub 3/8 " holes.. Use any other bullet, and the groups open up to over 1/2".. It will shoot 3/4" to about 1" groups with factory loads..

flk k

Im out flying a trip until tuesday afternoon then its supposed to arrive wed but I have my UPS delivery man who is actually my next door neighbor checking when he gets in tomorrow to see if its just sitting in the warehouse. Either way I get it this week and might be able to shoot it however I have a trip up on fri morning so that may not happen until the next week. I did buy 100 rounds of Hornady and plan on saving the brass as a co worker will reload them for me. I was thinking of trying out .264 Nosler partition and seeing how that worked. If it does well then that will be the load going fwd that I will use on the piggies.

A320
Reply
#58
A320,

I bet you will enjoy your Grendel from M1. I've been in on 4 builds with their uppers, 2 of them 6.5's. The first is an A-2 style 20" for an Uncle. Mine is a Flat top 20" with vented free float tubular forend. Uncle has put probably 1000 + rounds of all sorts through his-factory form Wolf and Hornady and reloads with Lapaua, Hornady, and fireformed 7.62x39 brass. Did break 2 lugs off original bolt. Problem traced to insufficiently resized Brass. Bolt promptly and cheerfully replaced by M1. Mine only has about 150 rounds so far and doing load developement but very encouraging with some loads sub moa. worst has been less than 1.75" @100yds. Best of Luck and Enjoy and I know why you have to have a break from Kalifornia with trips to God's State (even if you do have to fly into Dallas).

Mike
Reply
#59
shootist79 Wrote:A320,

I bet you will enjoy your Grendel from M1. I've been in on 4 builds with their uppers, 2 of them 6.5's. The first is an A-2 style 20" for an Uncle. Mine is a Flat top 20" with vented free float tubular forend. Uncle has put probably 1000 + rounds of all sorts through his-factory form Wolf and Hornady and reloads with Lapaua, Hornady, and fireformed 7.62x39 brass. Did break 2 lugs off original bolt. Problem traced to insufficiently resized Brass. Bolt promptly and cheerfully replaced by M1. Mine only has about 150 rounds so far and doing load developement but very encouraging with some loads sub moa. worst has been less than 1.75" @100yds. Best of Luck and Enjoy and I know why you have to have a break from Kalifornia with trips to God's State (even if you do have to fly into Dallas).

Mike

Well it arrived yesterday and I got a chance to mess around with it for a bit but I have not shot it yet.It was very well packed and oiled. I was very shocked by how heavy it was. I might get a chance to go out to the range today if its not to hot. I cant figure out how to post a photo on here.

A320
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)