Pick this AR apart what do you see wrong with it- This is the description: Alexander Arms billet upper and barrel chambered in 6.5 Grendel. Side charging AA bolt carrier and bolt for 6.5 Grendel--[attachment=1515]JP Enterprises free float VTAC handguard, a YHM low profile gas block and a PWS muzzle device. The barrel was originally bead blasted. It has been painted with a field drab color (cross between a khaki and OD). What dont you like about it I have heard the side charging handle makes it even more accurate
It's nice, I'm not too into the color scheme but it works
tmvikings Wrote:I have heard the side charging handle makes it even more accurate
Where did you hear this?
an old timer - less movement i guess
Posts: 4,444
Threads: 97
Joined: Mar 2011
tmvikings Wrote:an old timer - less movement i guess
He's wrong.
I shoot a 28" side charger. For long range accuracy, I take the side charging handle off. It makes a difference at long range, not much, but enough that I noticed it.
If it was more accurate, every rifle on the line at Camp Perry would be a side charger, they aren't.
Side chargers are great for hunting, because you can lower the bolt gently.
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live. - John Galt
what do you think about this AR
It would really depend on the price. You getting a great billet upper with a chrome carrier. Handguard isnt bad and you can change it if you dont like it. Dont really like the painted barrel. It would also depend on what kind of barrel it is button rifled, cut rifled, whos the manufacturer of the barrel. Not a bad looking upper but again would depend on the price really. Plus how many rounds have been put through it.
I believe it’s all AA so shaw would that be right on the barrel
What are you going for? How accurate? How far out are you going to shoot.
I almost went with an alexander arms barrel with the intent of upgrading later but I decided to dish out the extra money and got a 24" Satern barrel in 6.5 Grendel. The fact that I also built the whole rifle allowed me to choose which components I wanted. Now I don't have to upgrade. I really wanna push this rifle to the limit, and I felt that I would be limited with the AA barrel and their rifling.
I saw that upper too tm, I was going to go for it but I'm considering shooting lefty cuz my right eye ain't so hot. Lack of shell deflector made it a no go for me.
Hope you get it on the cheap!
Posts: 2,412
Threads: 31
Joined: Mar 2011
07-14-2012, 12:42 AM
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2012, 12:45 AM by Variable.)
Only 14hrs. To go, good luck Vikings!
bwaites Wrote:Side chargers are great for hunting, because you can lower the bolt gently. Charging handles are also great-- because you can just ease the handle forward, then close the bolt the rest of the way with your forward assist.  Sorry, couldn't resist!
Thats why im glad the AA upper has both the side charging upper and the rear charging handle. Even though you can use the side charging handle as a forward assist as well. Plus if you break it off you can use the rear handle as well. I like having both options.
Posts: 4,444
Threads: 97
Joined: Mar 2011
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live. - John Galt
I would find out what "paint" was used on this. If it's just Krylon, then that is a de-value in my opinion. If it was professionally coated with KG Guncoat, Duracoat, or Cerakote, then it's a different story.
With barrel availability what it is right now, I'd jump on it if you don't have any other leads, and are Grendeless.
Got it !! Super exited to get it setup on my RRA lower - quick question – you can obviously have both the side charger and rear charging handle on the weapon at the same time but can you remove the rear charging handle and just use the side charger with no issues?
tmvikings Wrote:Got it !! Super exited to get it setup on my RRA lower - quick question – you can obviously have both the side charger and rear charging handle on the weapon at the same time but can you remove the rear charging handle and just use the side charger with no issues?
If you try that you will get alot of gas in the face.BAD!
I have seen block off plates for the back on the internet somewhere. But i wouldnt take it off. Its there if you need it.
ricsmall Wrote:If you try that you will get alot of gas in the face.BAD!
I have often wondered what the heck was Stoner thinking?? Let see.. Your face is right back there, and your eyes are... Oh gosh right there at the charge handle..
I have to agree running without a rear charge handle on upper with slot cut would not be a good idea..
In fact, in Zediker's book, he shows you how to make a silicone seal for the change handle.. Pretty cool..
flk k
A side charger has more moving mass and it is off the center line of the rifle not a good thing. Rear charging handle locks in place and allows the carrier to function under it
I guess the trick would be to come up with a side handle which functions as a rear charger handle does.. That is, only moves when you need it too..
A couple of questions regarding a side bolt come to mind..
* Does a side bolt impact rifle accuracy?? In theory, a side bolt should not impact accuracy given the bullet should have exited the barrel by the time the bolt start its motion backwards..
* Does it impact reliability of the action.. Would the weight of the side bolt cause the BCG to want move rearward at an angle, thus leading to unusual wear patterns and potential jams??
Can someone go into the details of how a side bolt AR is detrimental?? That is, explain the technical reasons why.. It could be an interesting discussion..
Thanks..
Flk k
|