ricsmall Wrote:Grin, those brass really aren't showing any pressure signs that I can see, I'm on a kindle so I don't have a large screen, but they look okay.
yea, I see it now on my laptop. I second LRRPF52, definitely swollen and flattened primers,as well the near separation on the third brass. sorry for the bad info! you may also try some different ammo, I have a friend who bought a .204 ruger new and stocked up on hornady factory ammo, every one has flattened primer and severe cratering, but also what LRRPF52 said on the mods to rifle.
grin&dull
Unregistered
Ordered a Tubb's spring and carrier weights this morning and we'll see what those do, then make other adjustments as needed.
As far as the ammo it would be great if the rifle would cycle the cheap stuff but this rifle isn't going to be a daily shooter or get that much ammo pumped through it by me so if the son wants to bang away he can buy better ammo and/or better yet learn to reload.
grin&dull
Unregistered
OK the Tubb’s buffer spring and bolt carrier weights came, I installed them with the heaviest weight, and I fired the gun. Two rounds 1st run both ejected about 3 feet, bolt locked back (both still showing the same stress signs on the cases), 3 rounds 2nd run first 2 ejected again about 3 feet, 3rd round smoke stacked all still show the same pressure stress signs. Time to buy some better ammo I guess
In a way this has been kind of funny in as much that the rifle only has a stoppage on the last round loaded but all the firing has been on loads of 2 or 3 rounds.
Anyway I’ll get something besides the Russian ammo more than likely the Hornady 123 gr A-Max and see where the rifle is at before any more changes to it.
grin&dull
Unregistered
Well looks like it's a case of my gun doesn't like this lot of Wolf 120s, (tag inside is 1003 don't know if that's a lot or inspector #) oh well as long as it runs on the Hornady I can deal with that. Now we start looking at if I really think the scope will make the grade but that will be more in the line of the son's problem to work out. Happy days the gun runs now for a little break and sight in with it and see what the boy thinks.
grin&dull
Unregistered
Sighting in the new Grendel was started and or done really with a couple of things noted: 1st I had taken this scope and mount off the old .223 Bushmaster and it wasn’t even in the ballpark starting on the Grendel way low and right. Shots fired adjustments made till Wolf 120s about ½” high at 25 yards and Hornady 123s just above them. This rifle really may need / deserve better glass and a better trigger the ones on it now aren’t bad but this thing seems like it will deliver some exceptionally fine accuracy. My 1st and only AR build is a working rifle now.
As far as the Grendel it's still hit and miss with the Russian ammo ejecting and the Hornady runs 100%. Seeing how I bought a couple hundred of the Wolf figure might as well use it and be done with it. Both hit the target fine and consistent I just wouldn't want a mag full of Wolf if I really needed more than 1 shot for sure. My go to gun remains a shotgun so not a big thing in my world if this rifle is not a Rusian fan.
New 1-4 Bushnell scope and mount on the Bushmaster worked out to about the same impact zone with Wolf 55 gr steel case stuff. This is still a fine shooting rifle too.
Daughter in law started shooting the Glock 19 she may use as a concealed carry gun. Not too bad needs a little more range time to get comfortable with not just this pistol but guns in general, but that’s normal for some or most people who haven’t spent that much time shooting. Need a 22 pistol for her to wear out to get into it without some of the bang and recoil.
Prize for the day goes to the granddaughter for shooting the full sized open sighted CZ 22 rifle and blowing a hole in the center of the target. For someone who hadn’t shot much at all with a rifle that was way too long for her she overcame the poor fit of the stock and truly hammered the target. Have to look at getting something that fits her now and will adjust out with her as she grows. Price wise a Ruger 10/22 with a pink Tapco adjustable stock seems about right: http://www.tapco.com/products/new/index....ductId=262
So I’m getting older but hopefully the next generations will continue to support the shooting traditions and sports.
Wonder if I can find a 410 with an adjustable stock so she can start working on clays now too?
grin&dull
Unregistered
Finial Notes on: Phil’s .264 LBC / 6.5 Grendel build
1st thanks to Ed H. whose loaning me the tools made this even possible to do it myself.
Parts used during the build and lessons learned (LL) plus possible future changes (pfc):
Black Hole Weaponry: 18 inch .264 LBC / 6.5 Grendel barrel with mid length gas port and type II bolt.
(LL): Might have been better to use a rifle length gas system for this build in this caliber.
DPMS: Lo-Pro upper, mid length gas tube, and bolt carrier added Tubb’s buffer spring and some bolt carrier weights.
Rock River: mid length free float tube forearm, cam pin, firing pin, and .750 lo profile gas block.
Yankee Hill Machine charging handle and 5/8-24 thread protector.
Model 1 Sales mount and a 1-4 Millett DMS scope.
(pfc): At some point chances are I will install a better scope with a lot more magnification. Also should add a bipod at some point.
DPMS: lower receiver, trigger group, pins, added an ambi selector, used 3.5 J&P Enterprises springs with the trigger group used the old A2 butt stock, and rifle buffer out of a used Olympic Arms AR and bought a couple of AR-Stoner mags.
(pfc): Might install a better trigger at some point down the road.
(LL): from part of this build I also learned why the piston driven AR was ever even thought up, I have no doubt that someone like me was doing a build and went insane trying to put the roll pin in the low profile rounded gas block.
Finial thought is again this thing seems like it will deliver some exceptionally fine accuracy and is in the right caliber for what I wanted it for.
grin&dull
Unregistered
New photo put a bi-pod on in a quicky manner for some testing, at some point I'm doing 2nd build when I do I'll move this forearm to the new build and put a rifle length one on this rifle and add a good bi-pod.
Also should note this rifle now cycles Wolf 120s thanks to swapping out the extractor, cases still bulge but it will run with them now.
grin&dull
Unregistered
[quote=grin&dull]Well I started with this build and with some good help and advice from members of the Horde the rifle was done and works great:
• A2 stock with DPMS rifle spring and buffer installed, (now Tapco T6 and a Tubb's buffer spring)
• DPMS lower receiver, (now CMMG)
• DPMS lo pro upper,
• DPMS bolt carrier and key, (added Tubb's bolt weights)
• 264 LBC Bolt Head Complete "Type 2",
• RRA cam and firing pin,
• DPMS lower receiver parts kit / trigger group, ambidextrous selector,
• J P Enterprises reduced power spring kit, (might need a better trigger still)
• AR Stoner mags 5 and 25 round,
• 18” 264 LBC Black Hole Weaponry mid-length barrel 1 in 9 twist, (kind of think I should have gone with a rifle length gas system)
• RRA mid-length free float forearm,
• RRA low profile gas block, (may still have to try an adjustable gas block)
• DPMS mid-length gas tube,
• 5/8-24 thread protector,
• I have a Millett DMS scope 1x4 but I may get a 2x7 something to replace it. (now Nikon 4X12)
I'm now changing a few things to test for some possible improvements:
Built a CMMG lower with a Tapco T6 stock (this may change not sure how I like this stock yet) for a 16" pencil barrel 5.56 AR and it seems to fit the 6.5's upper a little better and the bolt stop works with the Grendel mags better so I'm testing that out some more. Moved the Millett scope to the carbine and bought a 4X12 Nikon with Mil dots that Midway carries because the Grendel will shoot so well at a distance the little 1x4 just seemed kind of silly on it. I may still have to break down and spend some money on a trigger but I'm just going to work on it a little at a time. I'll post some photos when I get everything set up for this revision.
PS: the problem is the rifle is better than I hoped for and now I want everything perfect and the little pencil barrel carbine is a joy to shoot after years with a 20" HBAR rifle.
grin & dull
you may try a 1/4x28 set screw in the pistol grip screw hole to take the creep out of the trigger. Ive done some of my rifles and it works wonders to get you by until you want to drop cash on an aftermarket trigger. If you do try this use blue loctite on the set screw and you will also need a shorter grip screw. This trick works wonders. Oh yeah, you will also need to remove some of the top rear of the trigger for the safety to clear it. You can play with it a little at the time to get the most out of your trigger and still be safe. When on safe, you shouldnt have any slack in the trigger, as that would allow it to fire. Do this in small increments.
grin&dull
Unregistered
New photo with the glass changed, now to figure out a bi-pod.
Did the set screw thing without going all the way to grinding on the trigger and ricsmall I must say it worked pretty well, thanks. The CMMG lower on the carbine wasn't tapped all the way through so I'll have to do it later.
grin&dull
Unregistered
Well I'm happy to say the rifle has a new home, it's now my son's. I was happy with how it all came out (this being my 1st build of any rifle period) and he's thrilled to get it so it's a win-win. Sam's going to use it for his hunting rifle (deer and hogs) and has a note of pride talking to his buddies that his dad made his rifle (now Ive gotten some request for help from them). Only thing he's done is add a sunshade to the scope. He's taken it to the range and shot out to 150 with it and it performs great.
Id like to thank the members of the forum for all the help and now Im thinking about a bolt gun in either the Grendel or a 6.5 x 55 have to see how it goes later.
Posts: 6,206
Threads: 50
Joined: Mar 2011
Nice rifle, thanks for posting. Your son made out very well!
|