Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
free float tube
#1
Ive got a 18 inch barrel mid lenth .Looking for free float tube,ive been looking at hogue.What do others use?I dont want a quad, and dont want to spent alot of money.Ive got a yhm smooth with top rail,but it is alittle to heavy.
Reply
#2
Jcp73 Wrote:Ive got a 18 inch barrel mid lenth .Looking for free float tube,ive been looking at hogue.What do others use?I dont want a quad, and dont want to spent alot of money.Ive got a yhm smooth with top rail,but it is alittle to heavy.
troy industries makes some very good float tubes with a lot of grip so sweat or water is not a problem when it comes to keeping you connected to your firearm.
http://troyind.com/
Reply
#3
JP has to be my favorite smooth tube. Light and stiff. Two part barrel nut that truly free floats the barrel. Also makes it much easier to remove and reinstall the barrel if you need to because the outer barrel nut stays in place. The tube itself is reasonable priced but the accessories that fit it are over priced IMO. I just have one short section of rail on the bottom for my QD bipod.
Reply
#4
X2 for the JP
Reply
#5
The Hogue is very light, I like the overmolding and it's cheap but I'm not a big fan of how it's installed(strap wrench).
Reply
#6
Take a look at JD Machine. They're not the cheapest.

http://www.jdmachinetech.com/product/308RL/308CHG.html
Reply
#7
I bought this free float for $35.00 and was quite impressed, finish seems a little thin but...
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2249225...inum-black
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1529[/ATTACH]
Keep in mind though that it doesn't have a sling stud, it is just resting on top of bipod for photo
Reply
#8
I'm really impressed with the samson evolution rails in the $130-150 range, they're a bit cheaper if you go through a retailer like brownells

http://www.samson-mfg.com/ar-15_html/cat...Rails.html
Reply
#9
You can get a Nordic Components from Midway for about $85. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2545182...inum-black It is lighter than the JP and is very nice for the money.
Reply
#10
Shooter , would this gas tube cover a lo pro gas block on a rifle length gas system or stop just short? Can you take it off and put back on again fairly easily? Trying to line up parts for my build in progress.
Reply
#11
Doah, just looked closely at picture but still wonder about the removability.
Reply
#12
CajunBuck Wrote:Shooter , would this gas tube cover a lo pro gas block on a rifle length gas system or stop just short? Can you take it off and put back on again fairly easily? Trying to line up parts for my build in progress.
The free float tube would stop just short of gas block. It is easily removed or could be locktited. Here's a closeup of barrel nut with threads for freefloat tube.
[attachment=1400]
Reply
#13
I found one of these free float forearms on sale with the slotted barrel nut which makes it really easy to work with the gas tube. It's as light as a feather even with the nose cone. I left my rail hand tightened so I can get to the low profile Adjustable gas block, it holds really tight but is still easy to unscrew & reinstall lined up perfectly. The nose cone is Great for testing against a Tree or for frame for a steady straight shot. I paid $95.00 for it on sale thru Optics Planet, it's made by Advanced Technologies Incorporated or ATI and you can see the one that I have but mine didn't come with any rail attachments but luckily I had a few extra rail attachments from a Troy Battle Rail that,I had put on a 223 Wylde & with a little tweaking they fit just fine. Check out the link below, check it out and then look for one on sale somewhere. You can't go wrong, just make sure you get a1 piece rail & not a Two piece (although I've not owned a 2 piece)

http://www.atigunstocks.com/forends/494-...ckage.html
Reply
#14
x2 Samson Evolution
Reply
#15
The choices are certainly tough. I chose the Apex because of the gripping surface & the robust mounting system.
[Image: ea7afdc256dd83ff56434fd4894f135c.jpg]
[Image: 8ffca118f2652d2c6cec7e99c0e94845.jpg]
Reply
#16
DHumbarger Wrote:The choices are certainly tough. I chose the Apex because of the gripping surface & the robust mounting system.
[Image: ea7afdc256dd83ff56434fd4894f135c.jpg]
[Image: 8ffca118f2652d2c6cec7e99c0e94845.jpg]

Man that's an awesome looking grip!....and reasonably priced! .................Comfortable?
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)