Posts: 3
Threads: 2
Joined: Sep 2022
Hi.
I am new to Grendel. Are the 2 books on reloading that I've seen worth the purchase?
Is it still the 2014 print? Would that be limited to latest available products now?
Or is there a newer printing? I haven't tried to research that yet myself.
Thanks
Posts: 354
Threads: 28
Joined: Apr 2017
They are worth every penny. When I started with the Grendel I knew very little about it and the books are loaded with very good detail. I reference them often regarding load data etc...
Posts: 3
Threads: 2
Joined: Sep 2022
Ok.
Thanks
Will purchase them
Posts: 185
Threads: 12
Joined: Jan 2021
I have volume 2. Lots of good data. If nothing more than to help starting points on load development.
Posts: 466
Threads: 49
Joined: Nov 2020
I agree. There is lots of information in the books
Posts: 83
Threads: 7
Joined: Apr 2017
Definitely worth the money and very helpful for anyone getting into the 6.5 Grendel.
Posts: 196
Threads: 14
Joined: Apr 2019
in reloading the more info you have the better, I need to order a set myself
Posts: 72
Threads: 4
Joined: Sep 2019
Why bother ? Powder and bullet makers have free load data available that is updated routinely.
Posts: 1,613
Threads: 24
Joined: Sep 2014
tlen Wrote:Why bother ? Powder and bullet makers have free load data available that is updated routinely.
Indeed! For example, Ammoguide.com alone has more than 600 loads for the Grendel, so one might wonder.
ANSWER: The value of the books is in the concise information in the text.
shootersnotes.com
"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-- Author Unknown
"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle
Posts: 3,654
Threads: 17
Joined: Aug 2013
tlen Wrote:Why bother ? Powder and bullet makers have free load data available that is updated routinely.
I wouldn't be so dismissive. The calibre is quirky and relatively new. More sources of info is always a good thing.
Posts: 2,098
Threads: 42
Joined: Feb 2015
Klem Wrote:I wouldn't be so dismissive. The calibre is quirky and relatively new. More sources of info is always a good thing.
Agree, and the first volume has lots specific to reloading for the AR platform as well as data and the second for using the Grendel for hunting as well as data. Worth it for those as well as the data IMO
Posts: 5
Threads: 1
Joined: Sep 2022
Gas Guns need a little more attention than do bolt guns. Powders with the right burn rate to operate the gas system need to be worked out. When the 22 Nosler first came out it was very hard on brass. Too Much Gas Pressure without an adjustable gas block. My brother and I both have 204 AR's. They both are hard on Cam Pins.
I do not have the 6.5 Grendel Books, however I see the need for them. It might save you money on powders that do not work well in your application.
Bob R
Posts: 1,285
Threads: 47
Joined: Feb 2019
I never picked up the books - but definatelly can see the value. They were written by Grendel focused developers and enthusiest who understand the nuances and limitations. In particular, Grendel is an AR Round of a pressure rating well below any of the typical "Tell" signs. If you are seeing ejector/extractor extrusion on 5.56 brass, that's saying your at teh top end of NATO SS109 pressure spec, and might consider backing it off, unless you really really need to run that hot. If you see that in Grendel brass, you're over pressure by well over 15,000 psi.
At the same time, go too conservative and one undermines the point of Grendel, which is to deliver the most potent performance and power you can, out of an AR15 platform.
The guys who wrote those books, get that and know that.
Only reason I haven't picked them up is I'm cheap, I'm a pretty experienced reloader, and many of my components are going to be in the books anyway (I run ARComp, LT-32, TAC, and 8208 - and some of those aren't in there).
To someone who is a stage of asking: "Hey I'm new to Grendel, are these Grendel focused books worth it?", the answer is always going to be yes. Heck, they're probably worth it for me to go ahead and pick up still myself, TBH.
Posts: 1,285
Threads: 47
Joined: Feb 2019
I never picked up the books - but definatelly can see the value. They were written by Grendel focused developers and enthusiest who understand the nuances and limitations. In particular, Grendel is an AR Round of a pressure rating well below any of the typical "Tell" signs. If you are seeing ejector/extractor extrusion on 5.56 brass, that's saying your at teh top end of NATO SS109 pressure spec, and might consider backing it off, unless you really really need to run that hot. If you see that in Grendel brass, you're over pressure by well over 15,000 psi.
At the same time, go too conservative and one undermines the point of Grendel, which is to deliver the most potent performance and power you can, out of an AR15 platform.
The guys who wrote those books, get that and know that. Only reason I haven't picked them up is I'm cheap, I'm active enough in this forum, and I'm a pretty experienced reloader, and many of my components are going to be in the books anyway (I run ARComp, LT-32, TAC, and 8208 - and some of those aren't in there). That said, be careful following an internet posted Grendel load. There are a lot of loads out there for Grendel in particular that are way too hot, but posted because gun didn't blow up and grouped pretty good.
To someone who is a stage of asking: "Hey I'm new to Grendel, are these Grendel focused books worth it?", the answer is always going to be yes. Heck, they're probably worth it for me to go ahead and pick up still myself, TBH.
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
AR Comp, LT-32, TAC, and IMR 8208 XBR are all in the Grendel Handbooks Vols I & II.
The reloading data is only one chapter in each of the handbooks. Some newer bullets and powders were added with subsequent printings.
Volume I is on the 4th Printing
Volume II has been updated multiple times as well. Biggest addition to Volume II was 129gr ABLR and 95gr Lehigh Controlled Chaos data with CFE223, H335, and TAC.
We submitted pre-publication manuscripts for peer-review to various industry ballisticians and engineers, and obtained permissions from the major manufacturers who have their load data listed.
Theres a lot more data about:
Volume I
Grendel origin
Chamber design and variants
Detecting abnormal pressure signs
Barrel length and gas system length considerations
Grendel hunting reach
Barrel lengths
Published load data from:
Alexander Arms
Vihtavuori
Hodgdon
Western Powders
Velocity estimator worksheet
Volume II
Sights for hunting
Barrel length: Handling vs Velocity
Muzzle devices
Game Harvesting Bullets
Hunting bullets
Terminal Ballistics (multiple bullets tested across the velocity spectrum with photos, charts, expansion, retained weights)
Reloading guidelines (takes you through the reloading process)
Load Data
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 65
Threads: 13
Joined: Jun 2022
LRRPF52 got any discount codes? Asking for a cheap friend...
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
Rivercityjeff Wrote:LRRPF52 got any discount codes? Asking for a cheap friend...
The prices include shipping, so these are steals really.
The costs related to printing and shipping have made this a charity.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 1,348
Threads: 98
Joined: Jun 2019
I bought both books before I got my 1st Grendel upper
..That book and many of the people on this forum influenced my decision to get a Grendel.
DNSs videos are the most interesting hunting videos I have ever seen. It is because of DNS that I now look down my nose at deer hunters. Drinking wine & killing swine is now my battle cry.
You cannot have too much information
..you are always learning.
It is not like you are buying the Gutenberg Bible
its only a couple of bucks
.
Posts: 125
Threads: 11
Joined: Apr 2020
LRRPF52 Wrote:The prices include shipping, so these are steals really.
The costs related to printing and shipping have made this a charity.
Im up here in Canada ???? do you mail to us? Where do I go to order ? Thanks  . Jim
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
Remington Jim Wrote:Im up here in Canada ???? do you mail to us? Where do I go to order ? Thanks . Jim
We have shipped to Canada many times.
Use this link for that: Handbook EU/PACIFIC/CANADA
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
|