Posts: 22
Threads: 1
Joined: Apr 2019
A week or so ago midway had lots of 6.5 second bullets on sale. A couple of years ago I picked up a box of 129 tipped boat tail bullets with a cannelure and I liked them. They were obviously hornady sst. This time I ordered 2 boxes of what I thought would be the same bullets, although you never know because no brand is listed in the description and the color of the tip is gray to disguise the brand. To my surprise, two boxes of green tipped bullets arrived yesterday. They are almost identical to hornady but I know hornady doesnt make green tipped bullets, and the boat tail is a little different. I looked on the internet pretty hard and the only green tipped boat tail bullet with a cannelure I could find is the new Remington Core Lokt. They make a 129 grain version for the creedmore. Im pretty excited to load these up and do some expansion tests and see how they do. I do not think they are available as components yet, only in factory ammo. Im assuming these seconds were factory overruns for their own ammo. Does anyone know of any other green tipped 129 grain boat tail bullets with a cannelure?
Posts: 941
Threads: 46
Joined: Sep 2016
i thought green tip meant sierra
Posts: 6,206
Threads: 50
Joined: Mar 2011
Nosler uses green tips in their 30 caliber Ballistic Tips but I know Sierra is a supplier of several ammunition Company bullets. When I toured the Sierra factory they had pictures of their bullets in several different Companies ammunition. Just because Sierra doesnt list a bullet in their catalog doesnt mean they dont supply bullets made to their customers specification. I didnt know Sierra provided rifle bullet jackets to Lake City Arsenal until I took the tour.
Remington had two different 6.5 Grendel cartridges prior to them being sold. It sounds like Vista is going to continue to let Remington maintain their own product line. I hope Remington gets their QC back as I thought they have some good product lines.
Posts: 73
Threads: 10
Joined: Jan 2022
I ordered two boxes also. They are supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'll report back with what I discover.
Posts: 31
Threads: 1
Joined: Aug 2021
FWIW, I received the 120g Tipped Boat Tail Factory Seconds from Midway today. The tip color is reddish, dark like maroon, almost brown. Maybe Hornady SST like? Also picked up some 123g FMJ during the free shipping. Previously had bought the 129g and liked them. Glad I did, showing unavailable now but may pop ug again.
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
Dark maroon with an opaque look to it is the color on Hornady ELD-M tips.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 31
Threads: 1
Joined: Aug 2021
Thanks for the info! That's how I would describe the color, and opaque hits the mark.
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
What COL can you load them to without jamming the lands?
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 31
Threads: 1
Joined: Aug 2021
My grendel is an AR, so have stayed around 2.260 for the magazine feeding.
Posts: 73
Threads: 10
Joined: Jan 2022
Looked at the Midayway 129 gr. seconds I got. They sure look like Hornady 129 SSTs to me. Going to load them up for a 6.5 Grendel. I think I can go out to 2.3 oal.
Posts: 22
Threads: 1
Joined: Apr 2019
So yours are red tipped? Mine are dark green.
Posts: 73
Threads: 10
Joined: Jan 2022
Rocco_1995 Wrote:So yours are red tipped? Mine are dark green.
They are dark green tipped, but have the cannalure and shape like the 129 SST. I presume the green tip comes because they were setting up the run and used nonstandard tips to designate they are seconds.
Posts: 22
Threads: 1
Joined: Apr 2019
Maybe so. The boattail and cannelure looks a little off from the sst. Go look at this
https://www.outdoorlife.com/guns/remingt...eview/?amp
If they shoot good and expand well I suppose it doesnt really matter.
Posts: 73
Threads: 10
Joined: Jan 2022
That's interesting. Maybe they're doing a private label for Remington. I wonder if the Remington Corelok is really a Hornady SST?
Posts: 6
Threads: 0
Joined: May 2020
Ive got some of the Remington Accutips circa 2012. They are Hornady SSTs with a yellow/green plastic tip.
Most all of the Blems Ive gotten from Midway hame been Hornady.