Posts: 122
Threads: 28
Joined: Mar 2021
I want to break in my new AR 24" Heavy Barrel and use a large surface bearing bullet.
The only components I have that come close to the Alliant data are, Powder, Case and Primer.
The bullets I have are 140 gr. Hornady Match BTHP.
My question, can I replace the bullet type and just use the starting load of 24.1 gr. of Reloder TS 15.5 to break-in the barrel?
Alliant Reloading Data Chart
24" Barrel - COAL 2.140"
24.1 - 26.7 gr. of Reloder TS 15.5
140 gr. Speer Spitzer SP
Hornady Brass
Winchester WSR
2.140" - COAL
24" Barrel
Posts: 26
Threads: 4
Joined: Oct 2017
11-30-2021, 07:01 PM
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2021, 07:04 PM by Longbow.)
Whatever bullet you use ,no matter. I clean a new barrel/gun before i ever shoot it.Amazing how much crud and cosmoline can be in a factory gun. Totally clean it,then one shot. Clean again then use Sweets copper remover till all blue(copper) gone out of barrel. Then shot again and repeat. I've shot benchrest for over 30 years,and yes it'll screw up an afternoon,but you will have a barrel that is properly broken it. I picked up a Howa mini 6.5 Grendel. I spent over 1/2 an hour just to get the crud out of the barrel before first shot. Now what whould that do to shoot the gun and push that stuff in the lands? It took all of ten shots to smooth out the lands,I was amazed! Normally can go 10 shots clean/Sweets ,then do 2-3 shots then clean and sweets and may take 5-6 doing that before barrel shows no copper.This is a shooter too. Have done 3/8" C/C 100 yd 207 Sierra,s with 25.0 8208 powder thats with the can on.Very quiet little gun.
Posts: 122
Threads: 28
Joined: Mar 2021
Yep, the barrel is all clean, just trying to create a load to break it in. Can I use the Alliant load above and use a Hornady 140 gr. bullet instead of the Speer 140 gr. ?
Posts: 185
Threads: 12
Joined: Jan 2021
I dont see where using the Hornady instead of the Speer would have any ill effects as far as break-in goes. I understand what youre saying about wanting as much bearing surface as possible. But in my opinion, I dont believe that there would be much advantage. If any.
Posts: 26
Threads: 4
Joined: Oct 2017
I use whatever bullets I have on hand,try and keep the good bullets for load developmnet. I use Butches Bore Shine for my main barrel cleaning. but whatever works, the sweets is important to get out the copper . Let it soak 15 minutes ,thn patch it out and do it again if need be ..before shooting again. Yes I know alot of guys think it a waste of time,to each his own.
Posts: 122
Threads: 28
Joined: Mar 2021
Kosh65, just want to break it in before all the load development stuff. The reason I was asking about swapping bullets was 1. surface bearing 2. I have 300 of the Hornady 140's.
Longbow, it isn't a waste of my time and I have read about guys telling people just shoot the damn thing. I say they have no respect for possibilities.
Posts: 185
Threads: 12
Joined: Jan 2021
Yep. I completely agree on both points.
FWIW; Couple years ago an F-Class shooter I became aquatinted with turned me onto Wipe Out foaming bore cleaner. I honestly believe that it works as good or maybe even better than Sweets 7.62, without that harsh ammonia smell and slimy, greasy feel. I will never switch back again.
Posts: 938
Threads: 47
Joined: Oct 2019
The bearing surface of the 140 gr. Hornady Match BTHP is less than the bearing surface of the 140 gr. Speer Spitzer SP. The Hornady bullet has a boat tail, the Speer bullet has a flat base. That shouldn't make much difference when reloading either bullet if you use starting loads appropriate for 140gr bullets from the Alliant manual.
I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.
Posts: 122
Threads: 28
Joined: Mar 2021
Kosh65, I have some Montana X-Treme Copper Killer Bore Cleaning Solvent being delivered tomorrow, going to try that first. Sweets 7.62 waiting in the wing if needed.
Old Bob, your right about the bearing surface, it's just that I don't have the Speer bullet. So, I'll load up about 20 cartridges and clean, shoot, clean, shoot etc...
Posts: 3,340
Threads: 46
Joined: Mar 2011
Velocity Wrote:I want to break in my new AR 24" Heavy Barrel and use a large surface bearing bullet.
The only components I have that come close to the Alliant data are, Powder, Case and Primer.
The bullets I have are 140 gr. Hornady Match BTHP.
My question, can I replace the bullet type and just use the starting load of 24.1 gr. of Reloder TS 15.5 to break-in the barrel?
Alliant Reloading Data Chart
24" Barrel - COAL 2.140"
24.1 - 26.7 gr. of Reloder TS 15.5
140 gr. Speer Spitzer SP
Hornady Brass
Winchester WSR
2.140" - COAL
24" Barrel
Both bullets are the same weight and made of the same material. Shouldn't be a problem. Use a mid-range load.
So, why are you 'breaking in' this barrel? Was it not finished before you bought it?
LR-55
Posts: 3,654
Threads: 17
Joined: Aug 2013
12-01-2021, 12:13 AM
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2021, 12:37 AM by Klem.)
I am going to post a different view.
I am an F Class shooter and after years of using all sorts of barrel cleaners from liquid car polish (Autosol) to carburetor cleaner I don't 'break in' quality match barrels anymore, and I am not the only one. Spending time and effort at the range pushing through patches hoping to improve groups and/or extend the barrel's life. Unfortunately we have no benchmark accuracy to compare the broken-in barrel with. There is just the assumption that the first 30 rounds of fouling and cleaning have improved the barrel.
I fire a few rounds to fill the micro-pores with copper and leave it at that.
I stopped using the corrosive Sweets Solvent and even the milder BoreTech copper remover because I now believe you don't want to strip copper, only carbon, and only if that is affecting group size.
I would shoot any old bullets through it, but start taking seriously the results after about 10 shots.
Posts: 2,062
Threads: 88
Joined: May 2016
OP, where did you find the load data? I don't see any for Grendel in Alliant's website.
Let's go Brandon!
Posts: 3,340
Threads: 46
Joined: Mar 2011
StoneHendge Wrote:OP, where did you find the load data? I don't see any for Grendel in Alliant's website.
SH:
I didn't either but the Alliant web site has a lousy way to display load data.
That said, I think it would be safe to shoot with the 140's. Its the fast powders that seem OK via burn rate charts I would not go near unless there was published data available from one of the big powder companies.
LR-55
Posts: 6,206
Threads: 50
Joined: Mar 2011
I found the Alliant load data for the 6.5 Grendel for the new Alliant TS 15.5 powder.
[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/150966264@N06/T6cBjB] ![[Image: 51717212290_9a580f6b49_z.jpg]](https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51717212290_9a580f6b49_z.jpg) [/url
Here is a link to find the new loading data For TS 15.5 powder. This is the first Id heard of this powder. Supposedly temperature stable powder.
https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/wp-conte...loadv2.pdf
Posts: 6,206
Threads: 50
Joined: Mar 2011
Here is Alliants description of Reloader TS 15.5
Handload heavy bullets with better precision than ever before. New Alliant Powder® Reloder® TS 15.5 deliversall of the proven performance for whichthe Reloder family of powders is known, with superior temperature stability. The result is extremely consistent velocities across the temperature spectrum.
Intermediate burn speed between Reloder 15 and Reloder 16
World-class temperature stability
Ideal for loading heavy bullets in 308 Win.and 223 Rem.
Enhanced velocity in 6mm wildcats versus Reloder 15
Contains decoppering agent
Broad application range
Excellent lot-to-lot consistency
REACH compliant
Here is the link where I found this info.
http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/po...s15-5.aspx
Posts: 36
Threads: 7
Joined: Nov 2018
I used the Tubb's Final Finish System on my new Howa Mini heavy barrel and was very satisfied with the system. 50 bullets, 10ea of 5 different level abrasives. Load with the starting load of your fastest powder, shoot the 10 coarsest bullets and clean; work down through the finest abrasive and be done. The barrel now comes clean of all copper and carbon after only 4 or 5 patches.
Posts: 1,285
Threads: 47
Joined: Feb 2019
Opinions on running Wolf Steel for this? I've done it, under theory it is more errosive than most ammo, which is a desirable feature in this case. I feel like I got good result after round count went up. But I'm also kind of making this up as I go, and curious what others more experimental think.
Posts: 3,340
Threads: 46
Joined: Mar 2011
CazadorBob Wrote:I used the Tubb's Final Finish System on my new Howa Mini heavy barrel and was very satisfied with the system. 50 bullets, 10ea of 5 different level abrasives. Load with the starting load of your fastest powder, shoot the 10 coarsest bullets and clean; work down through the finest abrasive and be done. The barrel now comes clean of all copper and carbon after only 4 or 5 patches.
Final finish is forty dollars for the bullets, at least another ten for shipping = $50.00. Forty rounds worth of powder at about 25 grains per round at about $35.00 a pound comes to $5.00. Forty primers comes to another $2.00. Total so far for you to do Howa's job and finish their barrel is another $57.00. It would take me about an hour to load forty rounds of rifle ammo so add another $15.00. $83.00 now. The loads are worthless for anything but firelapping and you have to clean periodically so another two hours spent on a range adds another $30.00. I won't count gasoline, time spent driving, and cleaning gear. Still comes to $113.00 out of your pocket to do what Howa should have done before allowing the barrel to leave their factory.
Final Finish does fire lap a barrel very well. I have used it twice before realizing the barrels didn't need it to shoot perfectly.
My only point is two fold.
First, my bet is that most barrels from reputable companies don't need this sort of attention to shoot well and clean easily.
Second, if a barrel does need this sort of attention, who ever made it never bothered to finish it before selling it. And knew it as it went out the door.
A barrel maker can easily lap his cut barrels before sales and it wouldn't cost him more than five dollars in material and labor.
LR-55
Posts: 941
Threads: 46
Joined: Sep 2016
12-01-2021, 02:44 PM
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2021, 02:46 PM by mdram.)
some manufacturers actually void the warranty on a barrel if you use something like tubbs
edit: https://www.bartleinbarrels.com/payment
Warranty
We guarantee the workmanship of our barrels to be free of defects in the manufacturing process. We will replace the item or refund the purchase price.
We do not guarantee other gun smiths work with the installation of our barrel in any way.
?Any type of Finish Lapping, Fire Lapping, Black Star or any process of trying to polish the bore after it had left our shop, voids any/all warranties by Bartlein Barrels, Inc.
We reserve the right to see our Barrel for inspection and/or the firearm including testing, before replacement/refund of any barrel.
Posts: 26
Threads: 4
Joined: Oct 2017
Lilja's break in of barrel....I've never had to go this far on one of his barrels to clean up the copper,by 10 shots its looking good....
https://riflebarrels.com/support/centerf...intenance/
|