Posts: 57
Threads: 11
Joined: Dec 2020
I shoot all my game with lead free projectiles. I feed a family of 6, so for me its a small price for peace of mind.
Looking at my Grendel velocities out of a 20 barrel Im not going to get much over 200 yards before I drop below 2,000 FPS. Based on the LFP sticky thread, it looks like I will run into expansion issues much beyond 200 yards.
Id like to get out to 400 yds or so. Most book listed velocities assume bolt guns with 24-26 barrels. I did some looking but couldnt find much on this topic. If I changed to a 6mm ARC how does my effective LFP range compare to a 6.5 Grendel?
Posts: 92
Threads: 13
Joined: Apr 2019
Look at the makers trex bullets theyll expand at lower velocities. Also consider going lighter and faster. They make a 85 grain bullet that should be good for most game. I have both the arc and a Grendel and for hunting Id take the Grendel.
Posts: 98
Threads: 11
Joined: Nov 2016
11-12-2021, 02:24 AM
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2021, 02:26 AM by CavityBackBullets.)
Cavity Back Bullets 105 grain and 118 grain MKZ's are set to expand to 425 yards and still get double caliber expansion from a 6.5 Grendel.
We just came out with loaded ammo in the 118 grain as well.
Both will expand down to 1500 FPS.
Our loaded ammo does 2550 fps from an 18in barrel. Giving it an effective range over 450 yards in Rickoshay's testing.
This link is to early testing, we have since adjusted them to open at a bit lower speeds.
https://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthre...post146408
All are currently in stock to.
https://www.cavitybackbullets.com/produc...8-ammo.htm
Posts: 313
Threads: 13
Joined: Jun 2019
I was wondering how long it would be before CavityBackBullets responded.
I was pretty certain that they would work to at least 400yards, but had forgotten the exact details.
To my thinking, the big issue of taking a shot that long with an intermediate cartridge is bullet drop and wind deflection. You definitely need to be certain of the distance to estimate drop. Personally, I would not trust my skills for a shot that long.
Posts: 750
Threads: 35
Joined: Dec 2019
CBB,
for 250 yard or less deer hunting for the 6.5 Grendel, would you recommend the 105 MKZ or the 118 MKZ?? I'm leaning towards the 105 MKZ but could be persuaded with evidence otherwise.
thank,
-tdbru
Posts: 98
Threads: 11
Joined: Nov 2016
tdbru Wrote:CBB,
for 250 yard or less deer hunting for the 6.5 Grendel, would you recommend the 105 MKZ or the 118 MKZ?? I'm leaning towards the 105 MKZ but could be persuaded with evidence otherwise.
thank,
-tdbru
Either will work very well.
A lot of guys really like the 105 on deer, well past the yardage you are shooting at.
Posts: 19
Threads: 2
Joined: Jun 2019
My 13 yr old daughter , shot a 9 pt with 6.5 creedmor , and a spike with a 6.5 Grendel last year.
Both were excellent shots placed well. The creedmoor shot deer ran 50 yards or so , the Grendel dropped where it stood . This year , its gonna be the 6mm arc turn, just for the fact that the recoil is much less ( even tho the creedmoor and Grendel have none) the creedmoor and Grendel dont have anymore recoil than the arc, but muzzle rise is greater . The benefit on mine is with the arc, @ 100 yards I can watch the bullet impact every time thru the scope, not with the other 2. Sorry to ramble , just wanted to share my thoughts.
Posts: 3,654
Threads: 17
Joined: Aug 2013
Big daddy,
Why do you think 6ARC has less muzzle rise than Grendel? In your case could it be down to something other than the cartridge, like the guns you have?
Posts: 57
Threads: 11
Joined: Dec 2020
We just wrapped up deer season. My daughter used a Grendel and 4 deer fell to it over the course of the weekend. All 225 to 275 yard shots. We dont get too many close shots where we hunt. Ended up using Nosler accubond LR, just would definitely prefer LFP. I couldnt believe how effective it was, all perfectly placed shots but it was crumpling everything it hit.
Sounds like maybe I need to look into a couple of the above mentioned loads. I now have a year to research and figure things out.