Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Hammer bullets 85 Grainers
#1
Spoke to the folks at Hammer bullets and they recommended the 85gr Hammers for Whitetails under 250 yds. Any one loaded for these? Should be here tomorrow. Thanks
Reply
#2
I’m following this one. I wonder if RL7, H322, or some of the other faster powders would work well for these lightweight pills. Very intrigued
Reply
#3
Same here. Keep us posted.
Reply
#4
i'm working up a load for the 85gr. Maker T-Rex. might be similar perhaps? I was impressed with DNS's results with that bullet on hogs.
-tdbru
Reply
#5
Just shot my antelope yesterday with the 85 gr hammer hunters. Best speeds out of the powders I tried was with H335. Tried A2460,H322 and H4198. Getting around 2800 fps with 31.5 gr h335 out of my 16" monster barrel and just over .5 moa.
Reply
#6
My biggest question is on how much meat is lost using these rounds.
Reply
#7
The antelope is my only experience with them so far and I neck shot it so didn't lose hardly any but from reports of other people's experiences is that very little meat is lost. There are a few threads on long range hunting forum and Hammer bullets has a forum as well with lots of info from reloading tips and experiences.
Reply
#8
Will def check them out
Reply
#9
Saint85 Wrote:Just shot my antelope yesterday with the 85 gr hammer hunters. Best speeds out of the powders I tried was with H335. Tried A2460,H322 and H4198. Getting around 2800 fps with 31.5 gr h335 out of my 16" monster barrel and just over .5 moa.

I shoot 85 grain Sierra over H335 from my CZ. Excellent performance. ~Riuma
Reply
#10
Well as luck would have it bullets came this morning and I loaded a few up and back from shooting. Just did a handful. I found Accurate powder published data using 2200 which is definitely on the faster side. Shot right at 2820 with zero pressure signs. Think I have a little more room to work with. This is out of a 22" barrel. Think I am going to like these.
Reply
#11
Did a little more testing yesterday and was averaging 2920fps with no pressure signs at 3/4 moa. As much speed as I need. We will see how the load works on whitetails this year.
Reply
#12
Sounds like a winner
Reply
#13
on the 85gr. Maker Trex i'm getting 2900+ with 31gr. of Hodgdon's BENCHMARK. that's my max load and i'd recommend you start at least 10% lower and work up of course. ymmv.
-tdbru
Reply
#14
I've found a lot of success using H335 with Nosler 90gr Varmageddon. It seems to work really well with the lighter bullets, I've yet to try it with anything heavier but I should think the results would also be good.
Reply
#15
Thanks for the input guys. Picked up some H335 this weekend so I will give it a try
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)